Software Update

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Just got prompted for a software update. I was not expecting this at all. Anyone else get this, or know what the update is?

Josphe72

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Got the update and my battery percentage went up one percent. I wasn't plugged in.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

TopJimmy2

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I received the notice and mine "failed" and prompted me to see https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...erizon.com/galaxynotellsupport&token=jmdfWbuR for details but no page exists. My Note 2 is rooted and I've done a few "hacks" to make things working like it's supposed to so I have expected the update to fail. Although...I did the exact same thing on my S3 and it always updated, I would just lose root and would have to re-root it.

Screenshot_2013-01-18-10-39-52.png

kris.richards

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Just received mine as well. Not sure what it was for. My guess would be the Exynos patch as well. Good to see something from VZW! Here's to it not being a year before our next update!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I got it too. What's Exynos fix?

See this: Updates start to push for Samsung's Exynos exploit | Android Central

I just received the update notification as well. Installed without issue (rooted via Exynos exploit, but no modifications). All appears working as before.

Software info (from Menu, Settings, About Phone):
- Android version: 4.1.1
- Baseband version: I605VRALL4
- Kernel version:
3.031-414933
se.infra@SEP-79 #1
SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 28 21:21:38 KST 2012
- Build number: JR003C.I605VRALL4

corki2

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
I was rooted using Exynos. I accepted the update and it failed. I disabled the Exynos patch and the update was successful, but I don't have root anymore. I wonder if I can re-root via the Exynos app again?
uploadfromtaptalk1358532808102.jpg

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
No the root app will fail to reroot according to xda. Also someone posted a few new apps had multi Window support but not all. Still no gmail

corki2

Nov 5, 2010
Visit site
No the root app will fail to reroot according to xda. Also someone posted a few new apps had multi Window support but not all. Still no gmail

Yeah, I just tried. Didn't work. Oh well...

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I was rooted using Exynos. I accepted the update and it failed. I disabled the Exynos patch and the update was successful, but I don't have root anymore. I wonder if I can re-root via the Exynos app again?

The update has to be the Exynos patch as the exploit no longer works. Also lost root after the update, although SuperSU is still installed.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
View attachment 57111

Yeah, I just tried. Didn't work. Oh well...

This reply answers the three posts above... the app that was used to root the phone used the exploit in order to gain root. All this OTA does is patch that exploit so therefore the app will no long be able to gain root because the exploit is no longer. You will still see SuperSU or SuperUser on your phone because those are just apps. Even if you are unrooted you can download the apps, they just won't do anything. If you want root, there are a couple of options which I posted in another thread found here...
http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-note-2/245401-info-warn-1-18-13-vzw-note-2-ota.html
What is this and how do I know if I was affected? My phones stock.

Transmitted from my Galaxy Note II

See above about what it is... Nothing will change with your phone. Just will fix the exploit in the kernel that could have allowed someone to take control over your device.

After my update, all my pictures of my fake internet girlfriend disappeared from my phone...

:p I see what you did there.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So I guess 4.1.2 is still a pipe dream for us VZW users!

Its not a pipe dream... it will happen but don't be surprised if wait a good couple of months before it comes out. I can flash 4.1.2 now if I want to consideirng CleanROM 4.0.5V is built on 4.1.2 but if you don't want to go the route of unlocking then you are stuck waiting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power