Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Default Re: So Upsetting! Spoke w/VZW Rep...

Quote Originally Posted by GregMar View Post
    Ok, just to be clear, you mean, go to a VZW 'Corporate' store first, if they don't help, go to a 3rd party like Best Buy?

In theory, it sounds good, but 'IF' they would allow/do transfer of unlimited upgrade to the dumb line which is not upgrade available till Aug. Then it seems to me that the dumb line upgrade would be 'Used' and not available again for 18-20 months?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums
    Try it at the cooperate store first. Also yes I think the upgrade resets with the basic line (at least that's what happened with me) although in theory it should reset to Aug. You could perhaps call *611 after its all said and done and get that sorted out.
    4G LTE Thunderbolt

Quote Originally Posted by watergates1 View Post
    You're not the only one going through it right now. I'm also trying to figure out if I'll be able to keep my unlimited when I upgrade in 2 weeks. Here's the skinny... I'm on a shared plan with my wife right now. Currently we have 3 lines, with one being a dummy line that was created in Sept. so my wife could grab the S3. Well, now her original upgrade is the one that I'll be taking. (My upgrade isn't until Oct.)

In theory, shouldn't I be able to upgrade that line with the N2, keep unlimited, and just have another dummy line if need be? I really wanna keep my unlimited if I can, especially since this phone is awesome and I know I'm going to use a lot of data. However, I've already mentally prepared myself to spend a little extra dough if I have to spring for a larger data plan.

*sigh* Damn you VZW for making your customers jump through hoops just because we're trying to keep something you already gave us. Freakin' Indian givers.
    Your wife would lose her unlimited if you take her upgrade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

I've read enough posts from people that say they actually did transfer from an unlimited to a different line and kept unlimited that I'm going to try it in a couple months when I finally find a phone I want for my wife (she thinks the note 2 is too big).

Yes, there are lots of people who *claim* you will lose unlimited, but I trust the people who actually *did* it more. Alot of people are simply parroting what other people have said or what a rep has told them. The key is actually transferring the upgrade via the upgrade transfer tool online and NOT just using the upgrade on the unlimited line as is and just activating the phone on the dumb phone line.
    1. Transfer the upgrade off the unlimited line to your dumbphone line using online tool (or rep if you trust them -- I don't)
    2. Order new phone from dumbphone line via website (same comment about rep applies here)
    3. Activate the new smartphone on the dumbphone line (ditto)
    4. Re-activate the dumbphone on the dumbphone line.
    5. Activate the new smartphone on the unlimited line.

Yes, the contract date on the unlimited line will be extended 2 years. However, it makes sense that unlimited wouldn't drop off since you are only making plan changes on the dumbphone line.

Yes its a risk, but much less so than spending $600+ buying outright and having the possibility of Verizon cancelling unlimited anyway. Yes, I do think it is a loophole that eventually might be closed. But it seems like bad word of mouth from un-informed reps will make it so they don't need to close it since everyone is afraid to try.

Then it seems to me that the dumb line upgrade would be 'Used' and not available again for 18-20 months?
    It wouldn't be a "transfer" if using it reset 2 lines contracts. From what I have read, even though you "transfer" the upgrade, the line that had eligibility will have its contract extended by 2 years. The line you transferred to will have no effect on contract dates for that line.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Quote Originally Posted by phantomog View Post
    I've read enough posts from people that say they actually did transfer from an unlimited to a different line and kept unlimited that I'm going to try it in a couple months when I finally find a phone I want for my wife (she thinks the note 2 is too big).

Yes, there are lots of people who *claim* you will lose unlimited, but I trust the people who actually *did* it more. Alot of people are simply parroting what other people have said or what a rep has told them. The key is actually transferring the upgrade via the upgrade transfer tool online and NOT just using the upgrade on the unlimited line as is and just activating the phone on the dumb phone line.
    1. Transfer the upgrade off the unlimited line to your dumbphone line using online tool (or rep if you trust them -- I don't)
    2. Order new phone from dumbphone line via website (same comment about rep applies here)
    3. Activate the new smartphone on the dumbphone line (ditto)
    4. Re-activate the dumbphone on the dumbphone line.
    5. Activate the new smartphone on the unlimited line.

Yes, the contract date on the unlimited line will be extended 2 years. However, it makes sense that unlimited wouldn't drop off since you are only making plan changes on the dumbphone line.

Yes its a risk, but much less so than spending $600+ buying outright and having the possibility of Verizon cancelling unlimited anyway. Yes, I do think it is a loophole that eventually might be closed. But it seems like bad word of mouth from un-informed reps will make it so they don't need to close it since everyone is afraid to try.
    What you're saying sounds great, and I have seen others say they have done this, BUT, I have heard others say that they lost thier unlimited by doing this....

When logging into my account online at VZW, I don't find the 'Upgrade Transfer Tool' you are referring to?

Margie - Galaxy Note 4

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

What you're saying sounds great, and I have seen others say they have done this, BUT, I have heard others say that they lost thier unlimited by doing this....

When logging into my account online at VZW, I don't find the 'Upgrade Transfer Tool' you are referring to?

It's not easy to find. I have never used it but maybe someone could post a ss?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

It wouldn't be a "transfer" if using it reset 2 lines contracts. From what I have read, even though you "transfer" the upgrade, the line that had eligibility will have its contract extended by 2 years. The line you transferred to will have no effect on contract dates for that line.
    Well, if this works, then I should be able to 'transfer' both of my unlimited upgrades of Tbolts at separate times to the one dumb line, switching the devices then keeping unlimited on both phones and have two new GN2's keeping unlimited on both and keeping on contract with my 2 unlimited lines.

Margie - Galaxy Note 4
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #33  

I just had a chat online with VZW and they say if I Transfer the unlimited line to my basic line I would Not lose my unlimited data, only the contract date would extend!!! Just like phantomog, and Bond32 said!!!! Thank you both and everyone else who said this can be done!! I will update you once I am able to do this on 2-5-13!! Below is the entire chat session.....I only removed the personal information I was asked for.

Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2013 4:01 PM
    To:
    Subject: Transcript of your chat

General Info
    Chat start time Jan 19, 2013 5:40:51 PM EST
    Chat end time Jan 19, 2013 6:00:46 PM EST
    Duration (actual chatting time) 00:19:54
    Operator Bentley

Chat Transcript
    info: Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative, we appreciate your patience. Your current estimated wait time is 0 min 1 secs.
    info:
    Add a tablet to the Share Everything plan for only $10/mo no contract commitment - data only plans starting at $30 monthly access! Ask me how.

Your RealTime session ID is RT9287893858.
    You are now chatting with 'Bentley '
    Bentley : Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
    You: Hi this is Margie, I cant seem to find the 'Transfer Upgrade' Tool, can you please tell me where to find it in my online account? thank you so much
    Bentley : I'd be happy to assist you.
    You: thank you Bently
    Bentley : May I have your full name and 10 digit mobile number so I can better assist you?
    You:
    Bentley : thank you
    Bentley : Could you verify the billing password for me please?
    You:
    Bentley : On your My Verizon, do you see the option of Get Upgrade Status?
    Bentley : Do you see the Get Upgrade Status on your My Verizon?
    You: one moment please
    Bentley : Sure thing!
    You: yes, just clicked it
    You: ok....
    Bentley : Great!
    Bentley : Now it will show all the lines, correct?
    You: I am so sorry but I just realized it probably is not there because my upgrade isnt till 2-5-13
    Bentley : Correct
    You: ok may I ask you one more question please!
    Bentley : Sure thing!
    You: if I transfer one of my unlimited data lines to my basic line will I lose unlimited data on that line?
    Bentley : You will not lose unlimited data if you transfer the upgrade
    You: ok please forgive me, but are you absolutely certain that I would not lose my unlimited data if I transfer my upgrade to the basic line?
    Bentley : Yes, the only thing that would change is the upgrade date
    You: correct, so my unlimited data would stay and my contract would then be extened for 2 yrs. on the unlimited line....no changes are made to the basic line, correct?
    Bentley : Correct
    Bentley : The only thing that woudl change would be the upgrade dates
    You: Thank you so much Bently! I really appreciate your help today and I hope you have a great weekend!!
    Bentley : It was my pleasure!!
    info: Your chat transcript will be sent to danhoffs@cox.net at the end of your chat.
    Bentley : Thank you for visiting Verizon Wireless; its been a pleasure chatting with you. Have a great day!

Global Posts
    7,270 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I upgraded my wife's line via Target to avoid losing my unlimited on our plan. That enabled her to keep her old 4g for 2g allowance and my unlimited. It is also usually cheaper to use another retailer, such as Amazon, Best Buy or Target, because their sales on the device itself are often more competitive.

If you upgrade on a dumb phone (whether a transferred upgrade or not), there's no "unlimited data" plan to lose. If all you have is two phones both with unlimited data, whichever phone you upgrade will lose the unlimited data.

I thought this horse had been beaten to death already, but apparently the glue factory is still looking for feedstock.
    Thanked by:

well i have to tell you that you rt i have 3 lines unlimity and i work for verizon fios i not giving it up too but is a look hole if you have a not smart cell on you acount do the upgrade activated it them change you sim card back and put it on back if you need help email me and we get it done here in florida good luck is who you know

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

Its just easier to do it online. Transfer the upgrade. Get the phone. Reactivate the dumb phone and activate the new phone on your line. Just did my dads. Still has his unlimited.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Privacy is overrated :P
    Thanked by:
    GregMargie likes this.

GregMar....I remember reading something to that effect of allowing buyers to pay the phone off over time...but isn't that exactly what happens now? A portion of your monthly rate is the cost of the phone over time. So the net effect is no change. Except that the consumer would have the choice to finance the phone or take the lower priced service plan. My guess is that most will finance the phone and thus be locked into a contract. So the more things change the more they stay the same.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Quote Originally Posted by Irvgotti View Post
    Its just easier to do it online. Transfer the upgrade. Get the phone. Reactivate the dumb phone and activate the new phone on your line. Just did my dads. Still has his unlimited.

When you went through the process online, did the new phone show up on the basic/dumb line at all? As in did you have to activate the new phone on the other line then put the old phone back to the basic line.
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
    Thanked by:

Yes, to be completely safe you need to activate the new phone on the dumb phone line first. Then re-activate the dumb phone. Then finally activate the new phone on the unlimited line.
    Thanked by:

When I did this I ran into a problem of needing to wait for the SIM card to let go on the network. The CSR stayed on the line with me about 30 minutes until it activated properly.
    Here is how I did mine:
    1. Bought GN2 from Amazon for $279 on my dumbphone line. (Not a penny more in taxes, fees, etc.)
    2. Activated the phone when it arrived.
    2. Re-Activated the Note 2 on my unlimited line.
    4. Re-Activated the dumbphone back on that line.
    (One of these activations failed online, and I needed the CSR to do it as stated above)

Just a note that someone on this forum told me that what I did was against Amazon's TOS and that I may get dinged $400 by them if they don't like it. I've read the TOS and I don't see for myself that a problem would exists unless I cancelled the dumbphone line prior to the 180 commission maturity date.
    If you decide to do this, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK

One thing you might consider is just getting a new line now. Then in August when the contract ends on the other dumbline, cancel it (old dumbphone line, not the new one you got the GN2 on). You will only be paying for an unneeded line for 8 months. Considering that the GN2 is $750 after taxes, there could still be significant savings. The only downside is that you would lose your phone number. If it were me I'd just port it to Google Voice for $20 and forward it to the new one when that time comes. The porting automatically cancels that line. Voice calls and Texts still arrive if configured in GV, but MMS can be a problem. If you do this, make sure you check with CS that there will not be any ETF's etc.

Anyway I'm up too late and tired so take it for what its worth.
    Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post
    If you upgrade on a dumb phone (whether a transferred upgrade or not), there's no "unlimited data" plan to lose. If all you have is two phones both with unlimited data, whichever phone you upgrade will lose the unlimited data.

I thought this horse had been beaten to death already, but apparently the glue factory is still looking for feedstock.
    Maxbuck, your information is appreciated and valuable, and I respect that. But there was no reason for the 'beaten horse' comment as many posts have been written months ago and recently, and as we all know, not to many things in life stay the same, carriers do change their policies and loop holes, and for many of us, that have not done this yet, need to be assured of the most current policies of what we 'can' and 'can't' do. Thank you.

Margie - Galaxy Note 4
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Sooooo, if the dumb line is then not affected by the transfer of the unlimited line (as this line would get the new extended contract), it should work to then transfer my 2nd unlimited to it again at some point, right? Just sounds to good to be true?

Margie - Galaxy Note 4

Yes that is true (that's what I was trying to tell you in the other thread)

Who knows how long this loophole will last though. It is a pretty complicated process so I'm hopeful that it will be around for awhile.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post

Edit: just read the rest of your post. You won't be able to do this till your upgrade date in Feb. Also you are correct about VZW removing unlimited data. Should they decide to do this and you're out of contract, say you just paid full price for the note 2 then they remove unlimited data, you are royally screwed. But if you do what I posted, anytime you do an alternative upgrade (the VZW term for all for all of this) you resign a contract for 2 years under your old terms. So if you move an upgrade from unlimited you resign the contract for 2 years at those terms. If they decide to drop unlimited data all together before those 2 years are up, it breaks your contract entirely and you are free to walk away with no early termination.
    Sorry, I totally missed this part.....makes total sense! Thats why I think it is better to Transfer the upgrade of the unlimited to the dumb line.

Please forgive me, I am sorry as I know there are a bunch of threads regarding doing upgrades to keep unilimted and I know similar things have been stated.....I thought for sure I had a way to work out at least one of my 2 unlimited lines (based on a lot of those threads/posts, thank you AC members)....but, the rep I just talked to said the only option I have is to buy a phone through a third party like ebay, Yes that is what she said.....what??? Are you kidding!

I have 2 unlimited lines with Thunderbolts (upgradeable first week of Feb. and of course trying not to ugrade those lines to not lose the unlimited), and one line with a dumb phone (upgradeable in Aug.) and trying to go to GN2 for both lines. My husband and I are not Huge data users (I am more than him) but, I dont want to have to worry about it and I really feel that more and more things in the future will use more data.....

I said what about transfering my upgrade to the dumb line, which I know that some of you have accomplished....she said, I am so sorry but I even checked with a supervisor and you cannot transfer an upgrade! I told her that I didnt want to take it out on her, but gave my little rant of I have been a VZW customer for 11 years, and new people get deals, but loyal long time customers get NOTHING??? She didnt even make suggestions like to add a line or ANYTHING at all! All she kept saying was, "I am so sorry and if I had unlimited I certainly would want to keep it too, and you can go to a third party to get a phone!" So I dont know if they have just closed a lot of the loopholes or work arounds that others have been able to do in just the last couple weeks??? I am just really frustrated now and I cannot and will not pay full retail, which she didnt even suggest either! Your help/input would be truly appreciated. Thank you!
    try switching the upgrade to the dumb phone line through the online website....thats what i did.....no dealing with reps and you know immediately what you are dealing with....
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

Yes that is true (that's what I was trying to tell you in the other thread)

Who knows how long this loophole will last though. It is a pretty complicated process so I'm hopeful that it will be around for awhile.
    Phantomog, I am so sorry as Yes, you were telling me the same thing....it just sounded to good to be true....please accept my apology!

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

The only thing I noticed with this is you will be charged an activation fee on your line. When I got the dna, I got charged for activation on my lone and the dumb Line as well. Its only 30-40bucks.

Privacy is overrated :P
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

The only thing I noticed with this is you will be charged an activation fee on your line. When I got the dna, I got charged for activation on my lone and the dumb Line as well. Its only 30-40bucks.

Well that's interesting that they charged both the lines an activation fee! I could see maybe one.

Margie - Galaxy Note 4
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #50  

Off topic on my own thread and might be silly question but here goes.....how do you change what it says in the signature when you reply to a post? Example mines says:
    "Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums"

Margie - Galaxy Note 4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast