View Poll Results: Are you worried about receiving the next version of Android?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES. I'm readying my weapons now!

8 13.33%
  • Meh, I have faith in Samsung. But Verizon, well.....

52 86.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Default Re: Any Note 2 users worried about not getting android 5.0?

^ This!
    Nexus 5 Stock / Nexus 7 LTE Stock
    Open Source For Life!

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    ROM
    Beans v7

When i had my TBolt i was all about flashing new roms to see what I liked best. With this phone I love the stock rom. I am rooted and unlocked just because I could but for now I will leave it stock and maybe tweak it a bit. It's extremely stable and I prefer not to mess with that.

With that said if Samsung doesn't get 5.0 to this phone I probably will flash at that point but that's pretty far down the road

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elvisgp View Post
    As we all know Samsung is not the best at updates, however they have been stepping it up lately. But Verizon on the other hand is the modern day Nero. They don't care about updating their users, and would just rather leave them stuck on an old os. So, are any of you worried about being stuck on jelly bean when android 5.0 is announced? Would you rather go nexus?
    I'd only be concerned if I was on Verizon otherwise I look forward to it when it's released.
    Thanked by:
    DaRkL3AD3R likes this.

I'll worry about 5 after I get 4.2

Quote Originally Posted by kilofox View Post
    I'll worry about 5 after I get 4.2
    Haha, I'll pass on that bug ridden version. I'd consider 4.1.2 though which I've kept my Nexus 7 on (besides the bugs in 4.2, I don't see reason enough to update anyway). IMO, newer software is not alway better software.

Global Posts
    5,719 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

With a phone this popular, I'd expect a port within 72 hours of the nexus source being posted... Stable build within 2-3 weeks.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jasongeiger View Post
    I'm already one version ahead of Verizon. Good thing about this phone is it's worldwide. As long as Samsung updates I'll be good on a close to stock custom rom

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
    And which version are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDubbin View Post
    When i had my TBolt i was all about flashing new roms to see what I liked best. With this phone I love the stock rom. I am rooted and unlocked just because I could but for now I will leave it stock and maybe tweak it a bit. It's extremely stable and I prefer not to mess with that.

With that said if Samsung doesn't get 5.0 to this phone I probably will flash at that point but that's pretty far down the road
    Since you're already rooted and unlocked, have you tried beanstown's Jelly Beans ROM? That's the BEST stock ROM out there right now and I'm rocking it. AWESOME ROM so far.

I don't think anyone should be in a big hurry to get Android 5.0 when it comes about. Just like every previous version of Android there is always numerous updates, bug fixes, revisions by Google first then the carriers get their hands on things and get to toy with it further. Its a long drawn out process that takes many changes since it first leaves Google's drawing board and when the time is right the official update it ready by the OEM or carrier then so be it. I won't purchase any phone today based on the fact of it getting the next latest and greatest version of Android, we've seen this go both ways in the past.. Good and bad for the consumer who is putting their money down based on this fact alone.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Haha, I'll pass on that bug ridden version. I'd consider 4.1.2 though which I've kept my Nexus 7 on (besides the bugs in 4.2, I don't see reason enough to update anyway). IMO, newer software is not alway better software.
    So so true.... :banghead:

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums
    Open Source For Life!

Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    ROM
    Beans v7

Quote Originally Posted by Droid_Evo_8 View Post
    Since you're already rooted and unlocked, have you tried beanstown's Jelly Beans ROM? That's the BEST stock ROM out there right now and I'm rocking it. AWESOME ROM so far.
    I haven't lol I want to but I just got it setup how I like it so I really don't feel like changing it. I know i eventually will but I"m thinking of enjoying completely stock for another week (or day)...we will see I keep reading good things about that rom too...

Quote Originally Posted by Droid_Evo_8 View Post
    And which version are you talking about?

Cleanrom is good too if you want a stock look.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

does Google's Android division not share some of the blame here? What if they decide to up the specs requirements for Android 5.0, making it impossible from most phones to run 5.0? Even a top-of-the-line phone like our Note 2 will be almost "obsolete" in 12 to 18 months from now. Let's face it, if you bought the Note 2, you're not going to like it that much in a year and half, when the cool 8-core, 1920x1080 5.5-inch SuperAMOLOED+++, ultra-sexy Samsung phones arrive.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by BuyOneGetFour View Post
    does Google's Android division not share some of the blame here? What if they decide to up the specs requirements for Android 5.0, making it impossible from most phones to run 5.0? (even a top-of-the-line phone like our Note 2 will be almost "obsolete" in 12 to 18 months from now)
    Then everyone will need to get new phones or be happy with what they have. But that scenario is highly unlikely. Note 2 already has a quad core with 2 gigs of ram. We are way fat off from our hardware being out of date

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:
    DaRkL3AD3R likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Then everyone will need to get new phones or be happy with what they have. But that scenario is highly unlikely. Note 2 already has a quad core with 2 gigs of ram. We are way fat off from our hardware being out of date
    I really believe people need to be happy with what they have and not always trying to look at what they don't. I mean the Note 2 as it is works great on Jelly Bean! I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth. But, at the same time, I do agree about the Note 2's hardware. No reason it couldn't run a newer version of Android. Just be careful what you wish for! Sixteen years in the IT field has taught me that newer software is NOT always better.

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    I really believe people need to be happy with what they have and not always trying to look at what they don't. I mean the Note 2 as it is works great on Jelly Bean! I'm not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth. But, at the same time, I do agree about the Note 2's hardware. No reason it couldn't run a newer version of Android. Just be careful what you wish for! Sixteen years in the IT field has taught me that newer software is NOT always better.
    I definitely agree with this. For the first time in a long time of using Android phones I am completely satisfied with the software that the phone came with. Granted I am running a customized version of that software, JellyBeans, but it's perfect for me.

Back on my old junky HTC Thunderbolt I was praying for an update, anything, to help make using the phone better. That thing still doesn't have Ice Cream Sandwich and even though HTC swears they'll update it, I am betting they never will. Thankfully though the hardware in this phone (Note 2) is so high end that I don't see it getting ditched by Samsung for awhile.

As another user posted however it is Verizon we have to fear in the update process. They're the ones who purposely hold back updates. I'm just glad I'm not chomping at the bit for a new update on this phone...... yet lol I'm sure once 5.0 comes out and we see the cool new features we'll all be wondering when it'll be our turns to taste some of that Key Lime Pie goodness.But for now, I can patiently wait. Feels good man.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    Synycalwon likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

does Google's Android division not share some of the blame here? What if they decide to up the specs requirements for Android 5.0, making it impossible from most phones to run 5.0? Even a top-of-the-line phone like our Note 2 will be almost "obsolete" in 12 to 18 months from now. Let's face it, if you bought the Note 2, you're not going to like it that much in a year and half, when the cool 8-core, 1920x1080 5.5-inch SuperAMOLOED+++, ultra-sexy Samsung phones arrive.
    The nexus s 4g has jellybean lol so we should be ok

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Even a top-of-the-line phone like our Note 2 will be almost "obsolete" in 12 to 18 months from now. Let's face it, if you bought the Note 2, you're not going to like it that much in a year and half, when the cool 8-core, 1920x1080 5.5-inch SuperAMOLOED+++, ultra-sexy Samsung phones arrive.
    Well if the Note 2 is obsolete in 12 to 18 months then that means that EVERY phone on the market will be obsolete so there is no option that anyone will have been happy with if you look at it through those eyes.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #43  

Global Posts
    677 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Rom

The note 2 may arguably have better specs than the nexus 4. So chances are we won't be outdated or unsupported by Google anytime soon.

sent from my jelly bean flavored note 2
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

I'm rooted and I think that regardless of how it runs I'll give Android 5 a try(even without s-pen support). I am however positive that the Note 2 will eventually get Android 5. Even though people like me will either be on the Note 3 or SGS4 by then.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney

Rather than carriers releasing updates do you get it from samsung if your phone is unlocked?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Andyvalver View Post
    Rather than carriers releasing updates do you get it from samsung if your phone is unlocked?

No. You can use custom roms or leaked versions but Samsung won't officially release updates

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by Andyvalver View Post

It would be great if OTA's came directly from the manufacturer with little to no influence from the carrier's. However that dream is probably light years away. Even the non-GSM nexus line (Any nexus on Verizon) is subject to carrier interference.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney

ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT RECEIVING THE NEXT VERSION OF ANDROID?
    Man, am I ever worried. The anxiety scarcely allows me to sleep.
    elvisgp and Darth Spock like this.

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Why worry. If rooted you will most likely see 5 in a rom build.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Want some free online storage see the link:

https://copy.com?r=B3nGac
    UsedName likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

So a little over a month after getting their phone the op was already worried about updates? That's kinda ridiciulous.
    Thanked by:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast