Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Wallet

Will we ever get google wallet support? I love the idea and hear that it is great on other phones.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: Google Wallet

Quote Originally Posted by EatMyTracers View Post
    Will we ever get google wallet support? I love the idea and hear that it is great on other phones.

Don't know but there is a way of getting it on if you root your phone

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks, looks like I'll be rooting within a few days.
    Android4life

Verizon has their own version of Google Wallet they are pushing, that is why it is disabled. Although the functionality of their version is horrible. I don't know why they made it so Google Wallet isn't supported, we should be able to choose. Verizon's version is called Isis Mobile Wallet.
    Android4life

It appears Isis isn't supported either...

Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5

hate that VZW blocks Google Wallet, but I'm enjoying the free $25 with Isis

Isis is only available in Austin, TX and Salt Lake City, Utah right now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Verizon get hit with a lawsuit similar to the Wifi tethering thing.

Not true at all have it in nyc all you need to do is call Verizon ask for the nfc sim card that you need and your good to go

Quote Originally Posted by ihatevz1234 View Post
    Not true at all have it in nyc all you need to do is call Verizon ask for the nfc sim card that you need and your good to go
    So you just call them and get an NFC sim and Wallet will work?

Global Posts
    454 Global Posts
    ROM
    Vicious ROM

Google wallet would be nice

Isis wallet will work Google wallet will never work unless you root. I'm rooted have Google wallet on my phone but I had to unroot to have isis

Word of warning to those who think GW is the bee knees.

I had GW working on my ROMd GS3 and had it linked with my Chase Freedom Rewards and AMEX Blue Preferred Cash cards.

I did not get my rewards rebates using the credit cards linked with GW.
    Android4life

Quote Originally Posted by ihatevz1234 View Post
    Nfc SIM card? That doesn't even make sense. The phone has active Nfc built in that is active. Not to mention there is no such thing as a NFC sim card. The only way around it atm is to root.

Sent from my Note II

Take your fancy phone Google isis-and there is a special sim card that you need has to be given to you from Verizon tmobile Att whoever your provider is. The sim card saves your account numbers to it.

Not doubting you, but when I was setting up Isis on my phone the instructions specifically mentioned getting an nfc sim card. I didn't specifically request that from my vzw store when I got my sim, however, I live in Austin which is one of the pilot cities.

Yes in your area they come standard but for me in nyc it needs to be requested. Tell that other guy about the nfc sim card

Yeah, meant to reply to his post not yours.
    Android4life

Ok so tell me how this makes sense. Let's say a NFC sim card exists (which it doesnt), how does that make sense when the phone already has NFC built into it? Why would you need a separate card for NFC? Not to mention simply rooting the phone makes Google Wallet work. I am just trying to grasp why Verizon would invest in a sim card when the phones already has active Nfc.

Sent from my Note II

support.verizonwireless.com/clc/faqs/Features%20and%20Optional%20Services/isis.html

See the note on question 3.

Note: When ordering an Isis Ready phone online, you may need to visit a Verizon Wireless store in Austin or Salt Lake City to obtain an NFC compatible SIM card.

I have no idea about the specifics or why. Apparently you need it for Isis.
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,062 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.4.4 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    Ok so tell me how this makes sense. Let's say a NFC sim card exists (which it doesnt), how does that make sense when the phone already has NFC built into it? Why would you need a separate card for NFC? Not to mention simply rooting the phone makes Google Wallet work. I am just trying to grasp why Verizon would invest in a sim card when the phones already has active Nfc.

Sent from my Note II
    NFC SIM cards do exist. Isis uses them.

The primary difference between the built-in NFC of the Nexus versus the NFC-SIM technology used by Isis is that the secure element is located in the NFC-SIM card for Isis-compatible phones.

The secure element is the technology responsible for encryption of the transaction. Google's methodology is to have it built into the phone. Verizon (and the other Isis carrier partners) believe that it is better to have the secure element on the SIM card.

The real reason Verizon wants the technology to be in the SIM is so they (as the carrier and provider of the SIM) can control and derive income from the solution. With Google Wallet, Verizon is locked out of any revenue.

Bottom line is that only Google gets a piece of the action with Google Wallet, so Verizon and its Isis partners decided to come up with their own solution, so they could get some of the NFC mobile transaction revenue.

As always, it's all about money.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
    Android4life

I thought this thread was about the functionality of Google Wallet. If you want to argue about a specific sim card to support Isis, then I can see that. But the thread has to do with Google Wallet which a NFC sim card has no affect on. And as I have stated in the past, Isis functionality is horrid, and only available in certain areas. Programs like Isis and things like blocking Google Wallet and slow rollouts on updates may be why Verizon never sees a Nexus 4.

Sent from my Note II

It's available everywhere you just need to do your research on how to get it and actually it's easy I use it daily any place that has nfc for payment.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by jhinson52 View Post
    So you just call them and get an NFC sim and Wallet will work?
    No such thing bro. NFC is built into the battery

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
    Inspector Gadget

Global Posts
    2,062 Global Posts
    ROM
    "Kit-Kat" 4.4.4 Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    No such thing bro. NFC is built into the battery

The NFC transmitter is built into the battery of the Galaxy Nexus; however, the secure element, which makes transactions possible is built into the phone itself. For Isis-compatible phones, the secure element comes in the SIM.

If a phone is already NFC-equipped (and has a built-in secure element), you would still need to obtain Verizon's Isis-compatible SIM in order to use Isis. To use Google Wallet on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus you'll have to root the phone to get Google Wallet to work because Verizon blocks Google Wallet.
    --Inspector Gadget

Palm OS:Palm V / Palm IIIc / Visor Prism / Visor Phone / Treo 270 / Treo 600 / Treo 650
    Windows Mobile: Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Diamond
    WebOS: Palm Pre
    Android: HTC EVO 4G / HTC EVO 3D / Motorola Xoom / My Daily Drivers: Nexus 7 / Nexus 10 / Nexus 5
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    The NFC transmitter is built into the battery of the Galaxy Nexus; however, the secure element, which makes transactions possible is built into the phone itself. For Isis-compatible phones, the secure element comes in the SIM.

If a phone is already NFC-equipped (and has a built-in secure element), you would still need to obtain Verizon's Isis-compatible SIM in order to use Isis. To use Google Wallet on a Verizon Galaxy Nexus you'll have to root the phone to get Google Wallet to work because Verizon blocks Google Wallet.
    Correct the main reason why sprint has Google wallet out the box root or not. No sim needed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast