Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By infmethod
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon Rom

Default The plastic isn't that bad after all

People always complain about how cheap the plastic on the note 2 feels. While it does not feel as high quality as let's say aluminum, it also has it's benefits. The plastic on the note 2 is indeed polycarbonate except it doesn't have a soft coat texture like the HTC 8x or lumia phones. Because we just have plastic with a glossy texture, we don't have to worry about our soft coat peeling off when it rubs across our jeans, or worry about getting scratches on our precious aluminum. We also don't have to worry about the back cracking when we drop it or just set it on a table(ahem nexus 4) in fact I don't even think that the plastic feels that cheap. Compared to the plastic on my galaxy nexus, the plastic on the note 2 feels a lot more high quality. What are your thoughts on the plastic shell? Would u rather have a soft touch coating or aluminum/glass backing?

sent from my jelly bean flavored note 2

Default Re: The plastic isn't that bad after all

This is another one of those things I couldn't care less about (the logo on the home button is another).
    The plastic doesn't feel cheap to me and my phone doesn't have to be made like a tank. I put a case on all of my phones because they are all somewhat slick and because they are so slim they are a bit hard to hold at certain times, that plus I would never carry a phone in my pocket.

The screen size and the functionality of this phone is what I care about. Not getting it due to the logo or the plastic never entered into the equation.
    Thanked by 2:

I don't mind the plastic at all, doesn't feel cheap to me. Overall the phone feels very well made and solid in hand. It's easy to clean as well unlike the soft touch coat I had on my Thunderbolt. The only negative to the plastic is that it can be a bit slippery at times (use mine naked as I don't like cases). But I've adjusted to that and don't have any concern in dropping it. I have to admit though if given a choice, I lean toward the soft touch coating; overall it's more comfortable in hand.

I'm with Pool_Shark.
    I place a case around my phones anyway so it's not that big of a deal.
    At least half of the iPhones I see are also covered so the glass and aluminum may as well be plastic on those units because you can't see or feel it anyway.

It could be an issue for those that like to carry "naked" phones but then all the glass and aluminum backs are much more prone to damage.

I've got a case on mine so I don't really care what it is made of. But, I'll take this "cheap" plastic over a device made of glass any day of the week. Science!
    Synycalwon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    I don't mind the plastic at all, doesn't feel cheap to me. Overall the phone feels very well made and solid in hand. It's easy to clean as well unlike the soft touch coat I had on my Thunderbolt. The only negative to the plastic is that it can be a bit slippery at times (use mine naked as I don't like cases). But I've adjusted to that and don't have any concern in dropping it. I have to admit though if given a choice, I lean toward the soft touch coating; overall it's more comfortable in hand.
    The RAZR HD had a better build quality so compared to that I think the Samsung is cheap. However, if you drop either device they're not going to hold up like a tank so who cares. As long as my phone doesn't creak all day I'm okay.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

ROM
    Jelly Beans build 6

I like being able to change it out for relatively cheap

I don't think its cheap. I use the flip cases and like the screen being covered. I have different colors. Being a woman I like to dress it up. Lol. I get bored. Using blue right now. Pretty with my white note. Everyone comments on how cool the case is asv well as how cool the phone is. I have a screen protector too. Doubt it will ever be used naked. I really like the flip case! Wish I had the creativity to think of it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

It feels a lot less plasticy than the S3. The Note 2 is not bad at all.