Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unlimited data question

When I bought my note 2 (outright) the Verizon guy told me I would have my unlimited data until I use my next upgrade, is there a chance they are going to try to phase out grandfathered plans? Has anyone else heard this or is my Verizon guy crazy?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon.

Default Re: Unlimited data question

you can still keep the unlimited plan when you pay full price for the phone when you upgrade the next time....but thats a complete rip off.

many carriers provide unlimited everything in prepaid for less than $50

Quote Originally Posted by still1 View Post
    you can still keep the unlimited plan when you pay full price for the phone when you upgrade the next time....but thats a complete rip off.

Yeah but thats "unlimited"

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

You're out of contract so they can do whatever they want to do, such as forcing you on to a new data plan. Of course you are free to leave at any time.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well currently I'm still under contract for 6 months, so I wonder if they will force me out of it whether I re-up or not, either way not complaining but I would rather keep unlimited if I can!

Android4life

Quote Originally Posted by VetteDude View Post
    Yeah but thats "unlimited"
    Comparing prepaid to postpaid is, well, not comparable. Most of those prepaid companies use one of the major carriers towers. And the data speeds are throttled pretty bad.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II
    Droid Eris -> HTC EVO -> S2 -> S3 -> Note 2 -> S4 -> Note 3 -> S5
    Android4life

Quote Originally Posted by indosilver View Post
    Well currently I'm still under contract for 6 months, so I wonder if they will force me out of it whether I re-up or not, either way not complaining but I would rather keep unlimited if I can!

The unlimited data plan is no longer available unfortunately. So if you re-up and take the discounted prices you will lose your unlimited. Only way around it is buying the phone full retail atm.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Quote Originally Posted by fofjjsr View Post
    Comparing prepaid to postpaid is, well, not comparable. Most of those prepaid companies use one of the major carriers towers. And the data speeds are throttled pretty bad.

I believe tmobile has a $70 plan that isn't throttled. That's where I'll be going should I ever loose unlimited data on verizon.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    4G LTE Thunderbolt
    Android4life

You will see most companies dropping contacts and doing unsubsidized phones, like what t-mobile is currently doing. T-mobile is the test dummy atm.

I used my upgrade in November and paid the subsidy price of $299 and for some reason i still have unlimited data i have no idea as to how this was possible but im not gonna call and complain about it!

The unlimited data plan is no longer available unfortunately. So if you re-up and take the discounted prices you will lose your unlimited. Only way around it is buying the phone full retail atm.

once you're not under a contract, Verizon is no longer obligated to provide you with unlimited data.
    they can take it away from you whenever they feel like it. buying a new smartphone at full price
    does not mean you get to keep your grandfathered unlimited data plan forever.

Verizon makes a few extra hundred bucks by making you think you can keep the unlimiited data.
    they are under no contractual or legal obligation to give you unlimited data just because you paid
    more. however, for the time being, they're playing nice and letting you keep it.... for how long?
    nobody knows...

the only people whose grandfathered unlimited data plans remain safe are those
    who are still under contract. I somehow managed to weasel 4 extra months into
    my 24-month contract... effectively turning it into a 28-month contract. (thanks to
    a stupid third-party Verizon authorized dealer)

Verizon does offer unlimited everything for $50 prepaid on their prepaid phones. Note that they are crap phones capable of 1xevdo only (no lte).

If you have a family share plan (not share everything), you can upgrade one of the other lines, and switch phones with your line. Or add a line, and ask Verizon to put a phantom phone on it. You can also suspend service with billing. I was told that you would just pay the $10 line charge.

Global Posts
    208 Global Posts

4G is just too frikkin fast to have limits. I mean wifi doesn't even come close. The first month I used 9gb and that's with using wifi at home. It was worth the extra $300 for the phone, how much would I pay monthly for that kind of data?