Just got home from Best Buy, Note 2 in hand!!

Keegen

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Does Best Buy have the same type of TOS policy like Amazon that you have to keep the phone you purchase on the line you buy it on for 181 days?

If not........

Can Best Buy transfer an uprade to a dumb line, purchase/activate new GN2, then move the phone to an unlimited line line?

Sent from my Thunderbolt. Hoping to be a Galaxy Note ll owner Soon!

I asked at my local Best Buy and was told it was no longer possible to do that kind of switch. When I mentioned that I hear of people doing it all the time he said when he calls Verizon they tell him that the customer will loose their unlimited data. I left Best Buy and stopped at my local Go Wireless store and they did the switch no problem so I still have my unlimited data. I have a feeling that it just depends on which Best Buy you go to.

I just picked up my N2 four days ago and am in heaven! My last three phones have been the BB Storm, Storm 2 and the HTC Thunderbolt. I'm finally happy with my purchase. :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I asked at my local Best Buy and was told it was no longer possible to do that kind of switch. When I mentioned that I hear of people doing it all the time he said when he calls Verizon they tell him that the customer will loose their unlimited data. I left Best Buy and stopped at my local Go Wireless store and they did the switch no problem so I still have my unlimited data. I have a feeling that it just depends on which Best Buy you go to.

I just picked up my N2 four days ago and am in heaven! My last three phones have been the BB Storm, Storm 2 and the HTC Thunderbolt. I'm finally happy with my purchase. :)

Ugh, complete bs. You only lose unlimited unthrottled 4glte on the line that the upgrade was used, yu can move the phone to another line without affecting the unlimited unthrottled 4glte. I upgraded at best buy and told the csr what I was doing, he switched sims from my old gs3 to the note 2 no problems. My line still shows unlimited unthrottled 4glte.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Hmmmm, so why would 'Go Wireless' (not sure who that is) be able to do it and Best Buy wouldn't? But thank you for sharing what you were told.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, complete bs. You only lose unlimited unthrottled 4glte on the line that the upgrade was used, yu can move the phone to another line without affecting the unlimited unthrottled 4glte. I upgraded at best buy and told the csr what I was doing, he switched sims from my old gs3 to the note 2 no problems. My line still shows unlimited unthrottled 4glte.

This is what I thought too! I know a lot of people have said that Best Buy CAN Transfer an unlimited upgrade to a DUMB line that has no data, therefore no data to lose, activate new GN2 then put dumb phone back on and move the new GN2 to the unlimited line after doing a new sim card! Hence not making any changes to the unlimited line!

I did an online chat at VZW laying out this scenario and they said YES they could even do it, I said can a corporate store do it, online rep said Yes, absolutely! Went to corporate store with printed chat in hand and they said NO that is Fraud and we could lose our jobs! OMG! They were nasty! They even went so far as to tell me, I Couldn't transfer an upgrade! Made me feel like I was a thief! I said, well I have the online 'Transfer Upgrade' tool so it.does allow me to transfer the upgrade....manager replies, well its different obline, and when you move the new phone back to your line YOUR UNLIMITED will drop off! I know they can't control someone swapping phones between thier own lines. What a mess that would be!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the big deal, if bb doesn't do it simply just swap sims yourself, then if you have a dumb phone, simply do the dumb phone to smartphone switch online. If you want to do a phantom line, then you will have to call in. Yes, differing policy in stores suck, but it isn't worth the hassle fighting about it in store, imo, when you can do it yourself. Similarly, when i went to get my thunderbolt in store, they refused to let me do a one year contract. I didn't even bother to argue, just went online and did it instead.

a while ago when adding mhs would give you unlimited unthrottled 4glte. If you asked to switch to unlimited unthrottled 4glte, they would say no for sure. But ask for mhs, and they may switch you to unlimited unthrottled 4glte. I did this for a friend of mine and my friend still has unlimited unthrottled 4glte.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
a while ago when adding mhs would give you unlimited unthrottled 4glte. If you asked to switch to unlimited unthrottled 4glte, they would say no for sure. But ask for mhs, and they may switch you to unlimited unthrottled 4glte. I did this for a friend of mine and my friend still has unlimited unthrottled 4glte.

What is 'mhs'?

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

So I just went to Best Buy told the girl exactly what I wanted to do....."transfer upgrade from unlimited line to Dumb line, activate new phone, then move new phone to unlimited line!' She said, ok great, I know exactly what to do so you can keep unlimited on your line. Then she proceeded to do it and said, my Best Buy screen is showing that is an "Alternative Upgrade" and if we move the new phone back to the unlimited line you will LOSE your unlimited data! She Tried everything including calling thier Best Buy help line and asking 3 other people there! They all said the same! I asked if I went home and did the upgrade transfer online at vzw myself and then moved the phone once I got it activated on the dumb line.....she said the same thing.....it would remove my unlimited data!! So aggravating!

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
This is what I thought too! I know a lot of people have said that Best Buy CAN Transfer an unlimited upgrade to a DUMB line that has no data, therefore no data to lose, activate new GN2 then put dumb phone back on and move the new GN2 to the unlimited line after doing a new sim card! Hence not making any changes to the unlimited line!

I did an online chat at VZW laying out this scenario and they said YES they could even do it, I said can a corporate store do it, online rep said Yes, absolutely! Went to corporate store with printed chat in hand and they said NO that is Fraud and we could lose our jobs! OMG! They were nasty! They even went so far as to tell me, I Couldn't transfer an upgrade! Made me feel like I was a thief! I said, well I have the online 'Transfer Upgrade' tool so it.does allow me to transfer the upgrade....manager replies, well its different obline, and when you move the new phone back to your line YOUR UNLIMITED will drop off! I know they can't control someone swapping phones between thier own lines. What a mess that would be!

I wanted to keep my unlimited data. i didn't want to spend $700 for a Note. At the Verizon store, the saleslady said she'd sell me the phone for $299, set up a new line ($9.99/mo) and immediately transfer my phone number to the new Note. She did all that... A week later I did an ETF on that phone line to save the $17 (with tax) per month that the extra line would cost me for two years. Still got my unlimited data, and save a bit of money. It was a bit more of a hassle than just buying the phone outright, so when my wife decided she wanted a Note also, I just bought it outright..

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So I just went to Best Buy told the girl exactly what I wanted to do....."transfer upgrade from unlimited line to Dumb line, activate new phone, then move new phone to unlimited line!' She said, ok great, I know exactly what to do so you can keep unlimited on your line. Then she proceeded to do it and said, my Best Buy screen is showing that is an "Alternative Upgrade" and if we move the new phone back to the unlimited line you will LOSE your unlimited data! She Tried everything including calling thier Best Buy help line and asking 3 other people there! They all said the same! I asked if I went home and did the upgrade transfer online at vzw myself and then moved the phone once I got it activated on the dumb line.....she said the same thing.....it would remove my unlimited data!! So aggravating!

Unfortunately, the Verizon system doesn't officially support alternative upgrade, i. E. Transferring upgrade from one line to another. This is so that you don't transfer the upgrade from an unlimited data line to another line that doesn't have unlimited data, imo.

The option is to upgrade the line, then transfer the sim over to the new phone. If you have a dumb phone, simply activate the dumb phone or a phantom line.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to keep my unlimited data. i didn't want to spend $700 for a Note. At the Verizon store, the saleslady said she'd sell me the phone for $299, set up a new line ($9.99/mo) and immediately transfer my phone number to the new Note. She did all that... A week later I did an ETF on that phone line to save the $17 (with tax) per month that the extra line would cost me for two years. Still got my unlimited data, and save a bit of money. It was a bit more of a hassle than just buying the phone outright, so when my wife decided she wanted a Note also, I just bought it outright..

You would be better off pm to amazon for $150 and buy at best buy,then pay etf. You would have saved $150. Or sign up at bb, then pm tomorrow to get the $50 gc and the phone at $150

mike7728

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Does Best Buy have the same type of TOS policy like Amazon that you have to keep the phone you purchase on the line you buy it on for 181 days?

If not........

Can Best Buy transfer an uprade to a dumb line, purchase/activate new GN2, then move the phone to an unlimited line line?

they transferred a upgrade for me last night.

sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 2

willlayb

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
no one seems to understand that if you have a dummy line, one without data that you are just using for upgrades, you can transfer your other line's upgrades to that also. just upgrade that line and leave the store. move the phone onto the phone line you want it on then cancel data on the dummy line. its not that hard. verizon will switch the upgrade to that line also, apparently you people have no idea how to do that.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, the Verizon system doesn't officially support alternative upgrade, i. E. Transferring upgrade from one line to another.
Yes, Verizon does support this. Not sure why you thought it does not. That's how most of us have retained unlimited data.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Verizon does support this. Not sure why you thought it does not. That's how most of us have retained unlimited data.

I have never been able to do it even before the whole not being able to keep unlimited data after upgrading a line. I always had to upgrade the specific line that the upgrade was available on, then afterwards move the phone to my line.

Just to clarify, if line one has unlimited data and an upgrade available, and line 2 was a dumb phone line without an upgrade available, you can not move the upgrade from line 1 to line 2, to keep unlimited data, Or at least i was never able to.

What i could do, is if line 1 has unlimited data, but line 2 is a dumb phone with an upgrade available, then I could upgrade line 2 then push the phone to line 1 and keep unlimited data.

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, if line one has unlimited data and an upgrade available, and line 2 was a dumb phone line without an upgrade available, you can not move the upgrade from line 1 to line 2, to keep unlimited data
There's even a way on the Verizon customer website to transfer upgrades from one line to another, so I remain confused by your posts. The following can be found on my customer page when I click on "Upgrade My Device:"

Which devices would you like to upgrade?
Select

614-xxx-xxxx
LG Chocolate? 3 in Black
Upgrade Available on 02/09/13

Upgrade at a discounted price

Transfer Upgrade

I'd be flabbergasted if you cannot do the same, assuming both your phones are on a family shared plan of some sort.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital