Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DroidXcon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Streaming music is killer on the battery

Hey all, I know that streaming music will cause extra battery drain. However this phone seems to chug the juice big time. The media serve surpasses the screen on battery use by a whole lot. It was never like this with my thunderbolt. Attached are my screen shots. Is this normal or are there any tips you have for me? I did dl the rescan media app. What is the keep awake? Thanks in advance.
    Brandon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Streaming music is killer on the battery-2013-02-04-19-02-55.png   Streaming music is killer on the battery-2013-02-15-19-03-24.png  
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Streaming music is killer on the battery

This is my current battery status.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Streaming music is killer on the battery-2013-02-15-19-04-03.png  
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Anybody at least have the same thing going on? I should add that this was 6 hours of streaming over wifi with my bluetooth headphones.

I streamed about 2-1/2 hours of stereo podcasts yesterday, and "Media server" does not show up among the top 6 power users on my GN2 in the 45 hours my phone has been on battery use (I'm currently at 48% remaining). Podkicker is the app I'm using. Although it's not music, it's an mp3 that I'm streaming via 4G, so I'm not sure what's up with your phone.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

That makes 2 of us. Lol. Wish someone out there knew the answer.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

14hrs and 34% left? I fail to see the dilemma?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Droid_Evo_8 likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    14hrs and 34% left? I fail to see the dilemma?

LOL

Im sorry but there is no possible way a thunderbolt comes close to the n2 battery in any way.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Just wanted to toss this into the fray that is this thread.

I was out driving tonight and stream 25 minutes worth of Korn over 4G LTE from my PC using Plex, which then went through Bluetooth to my Mazda 3 and in those 25 minutes of LTE/Bluetooth streaming I lost... 1% battery. Soooo yeah. Even if it went up to 2% per 30 minutes thats 4% per hour 4% x 14 hours = 56% battery drain yeah that sounds about right.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I never said the Thunderbolt battery was anywhere near as good as the Note 2's. But, my Thunderbolt would get 13 hours straight of Streaming Pandora at work before it died. Never ever did the media server go above the top 3 spot. I can easily get 20+ hours with the phone if I don't stream. Don't get me wrong, I know it uses Juice. But it seems that it uses more than the T-Bolt did. What is the Keep Awake? That seems to be the killer.

Brandon

To the OP: is your screen remaining on while you stream the music? If so, you may want to change the app's display settings, or if it won't change display go to a different app that doesn't keep the screen on. In Podkicker I'm able to adjust volume while the screen remains off, which is a plus if traffic gets heavy and I need to boost the sound.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Nah Screen stays off for me. Even adjusting the volume while it's playing won't turn it on.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by brandonv79 View Post
    I never said the Thunderbolt battery was anywhere near as good as the Note 2's. But, my Thunderbolt would get 13 hours straight of Streaming Pandora at work before it died. Never ever did the media server go above the top 3 spot. I can easily get 20+ hours with the phone if I don't stream. Don't get me wrong, I know it uses Juice. But it seems that it uses more than the T-Bolt did. What is the Keep Awake? That seems to be the killer.

Brandon
    You are comparing two different builds of Android on top of two different manufactured devices. Both with their own software interlaced. So saying it did one thing on your tbolt and another on your note is not a good way to compare. You are comparing apples to oranges(or Ice cream to jelly beans)..so many things could have changed in regards of how media is handled. Your battery life is not suffering any so I wouldn't worry.

If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Well now see, thanks droidxcon. I never would have thought about it that way. But it does make sense. I have steamed all day today with shody Wifi signal and I'm at 50% in 9.5 hours. Not to shabby. Thanks for the info everyone.