Planning on Getting a note 2 2day :)

Huggie87

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok I'm planning on getting a note 2 today and I want to get the best out of the battery so I would like to know if I should charge the phone as soon as I get it or drain the battery then fully charge it?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I think that used matter, but with today's battery technology, it shouldn't technically make much of a difference. The instructions might still say something about letting it charge first, but that's probably a relic from the olden days lol. I could be wrong, but that's what I heard.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think that used matter, but with today's battery technology, it shouldn't technically make much of a difference. The instructions might still say something about letting it charge first, but that's probably a relic from the olden days lol. I could be wrong, but that's what I heard.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Correct. But be aware it's never a good idea to let a Lithium Ion battery completely drain. Go ahead and use it right away though. Just don't be worried if the battery is not as good as expected on day 1 because it could take 3 to 4 charge cycles to get the maximum battery life out of your device.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I heard just the opposite here in the forums. People have said you should drain the battery down to zero % and then fully charge a couple times when you first get it.

I thought the very same that you shouldn't have to do this with a Lith battery. But, I found it did make a big difference on my battery. Before I did let it drain (first day) I was down to 50% within a few hours. Now I am at like 70% at 5-6pm. Also, oviously, it will vary depending on what you constantly have running and how much you do on the phone. Just my 2 cents worth. Enjoy your new GN2! I am loving mine!

Margie
Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
GregMargie,

That has more to do with the battery conditioning overtime. There is no reason to fully drain a Lithium Ion battery as the more you discharge it the less life span it will have. Old battery technology such as Ni-Ion called for what you did but you would have more than likely seen the same results had you not of drained the battery. I don't drain my batteries because I've tested this theory before and it didn't improve the life at all. Within so many charge cycles your Lithium Ion battery will hold the charge you're hoping for.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
GregMargie,

That has more to do with the battery conditioning overtime. There is no reason to fully drain a Lithium Ion battery as the more you discharge it the less life span it will have. Old battery technology such as Ni-Ion called for what you did but you would have more than likely seen the same results had you not of drained the battery. I don't drain my batteries because I've tested this theory before and it didn't improve the life at all. Within so many charge cycles your Lithium Ion battery will hold the charge you're hoping for.

Eclipse, thank you for clearing that up, as that was what I always thought was the case with Lithium batteries, that you don't need to drain them. Unlike the days of the Ni-Cad batteries. One question.....What does the 'conditioning' do then? Thank you so much!

Margie

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Eclipse, thank you for clearing that up, as that was what I always thought was the case with Lithium batteries, that you don't need to drain them. Unlike the days of the Ni-Cad batteries. One question.....What does the 'conditioning' do then? Thank you so much!

Margie

I call it conditioning because after a couple of charge cycles you should notice an improvement in battery life. It's not like the old days where you were required to condition a battery by draining it though. For those that have already drained the battery for conditioning purposes you should be fine. Just don't drain the phone to 0% on a regular basis unless necessary as this will really negatively impact battery life over time. But in that case you could always purchase a new one so no big deal.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I call it conditioning because after a couple of charge cycles you should notice an improvement in battery life. It's not like the old days where you were required to condition a battery by draining it though. For those that have already drained the battery for conditioning purposes you should be fine. Just don't drain the phone to 0% on a regular basis unless necessary as this will really negatively impact battery life over time. But in that case you could always purchase a new one so no big deal.

I did do the drain down to zero % the first time as others had said to, but have NOT done it again. I do agree with you that you shouldn't do it, and Yes after several days (charge cycles) my battery did improve greatly! Thank you!

Margie

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
How long did it take for your battery to improve?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
I would say 2nd or 3rd day. Today I started using my phone at 6:30 this morning, it is now 9:30 pm. And my battery is at 51%! I did Not stick it on the charger half through the day like l had to with my Thunderbolt! I also keep my screen brightness at 100%. Not a big Web surfer, lots of emails, phone calls, texting, a little face book, a little angry birds, and a whole lot of S Pen (love it!)

Margie

Huggie87

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
My battery seems to last 16 hours with about 6 hours screen on time is that good? I know some people can get up to a day

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My battery seems to last 16 hours with about 6 hours screen on time is that good? I know some people can get up to a day

Seems pretty decent. A variety of factors go into battery life. I get 5-6 hours screen on time. On my Rezound and thunderbolt, I get maybe 2 hours screen on time, sometimes less. On my Razr maxx, I get about 4-5 hours. I am pretty happy with the note 2 battery life

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II