Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kris.richards
  • 1 Post By viper31573
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Flip Cover and Scratches?

    Has anyone using the OEM Flip Cover gotten any scratches on their screen yet? I feel as if the cover stays in place so this shouldn't be a concern but maybe something getting stuck to the cover? I'm just paranoid about scratches and it hit me that there may be a good possibility of scratches but at the same time I doubt it.

    Thanks.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  2. #2  
    MrSmith317's Avatar
    Mr Fix-It

    Posts
    2,214 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    The flip cover is solid. I don't even get fingerprints on my phone. I also haven't ever dropped my phone so I have no idea what the impact of the flip cover(if any) would be for a drop or other phone catastrophe. The flip cover is soft felt inside so I could see something potentially between it and the screen but the flip cover doesn't move all that much. All in all I think your potential for scratches is minimal.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

    -Walt Disney
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    The flip cover is solid. I don't even get fingerprints on my phone. I also haven't ever dropped my phone so I have no idea what the impact of the flip cover(if any) would be for a drop or other phone catastrophe. The flip cover is soft felt inside so I could see something potentially between it and the screen but the flip cover doesn't move all that much. All in all I think your potential for scratches is minimal.
    I figured as my experience has been this. I was just curious to see if anyone has had an issue as I'm very paranoid of scratches on my devices.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    No scratches at all for me (yet). Love the flip cover. Quality product.
    Eclipse2K likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    I have the flip cases. Love them. But I also have a screen protection. Always. I get them from Verizon. Low cost. Doesn't even look like its on it. No interference. Works great.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    i only have a screen protector on mine, but i thought gorilla glass was scratch proof and shatter proof?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    Quote Originally Posted by viper31573 View Post
    i only have a screen protector on mine, but i thought gorilla glass was scratch proof and shatter proof?
    Gorilla Glass is Scratch Resistant. No form of glass is Scratch Proof and certinely not shatter proof. Gorilla Glass will be resistant to things such as keys and such as the video tests show but that's not even realistic. The dust and pocket sand you have in your pockets has a harder density rating or whatever compared to glass and will scratch the screen.

    Quick question - Why would you put on a screen protector if you thought Gorilla Glass was Scratch Proof and Shatter Proof? Seems odd...
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Has anyone using the OEM Flip Cover gotten any scratches on their screen yet? I feel as if the cover stays in place so this shouldn't be a concern but maybe something getting stuck to the cover? I'm just paranoid about scratches and it hit me that there may be a good possibility of scratches but at the same time I doubt it.

    Thanks.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't have the note but I have the gs3 with the flip cover. I usually try to go no screen protector, so imagine my surprise when I took my phone out of my pocket, flipped the cover open, and there was a nasty u-shaped groove carved into my screen. Not just a scratch. It's deep.

    So much for gorilla glass 2 - it's nowhere as good as the gorilla glass 1 I've had on multiple devices.

    I now have an isheildz on it but I wasn't impressed...

    Sent from my Galaxy S 3 via JB 4.2.2 - thanks Tasks AOKP!
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Gorilla Glass is Scratch Resistant. No form of glass is Scratch Proof and certinely not shatter proof. Gorilla Glass will be resistant to things such as keys and such as the video tests show but that's not even realistic. The dust and pocket sand you have in your pockets has a harder density rating or whatever compared to glass and will scratch the screen.

    Quick question - Why would you put on a screen protector if you thought Gorilla Glass was Scratch Proof and Shatter Proof? Seems odd...
    extra protection just in case. i have locks on my house but still put an alarm system in. i knew anything over a 7 hardness could scratch gorilla glass
    Thanked by:
    Eclipse2K likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    I don't have the note but I have the gs3 with the flip cover. I usually try to go no screen protector, so imagine my surprise when I took my phone out of my pocket, flipped the cover open, and there was a nasty u-shaped groove carved into my screen. Not just a scratch. It's deep.

    So much for gorilla glass 2 - it's nowhere as good as the gorilla glass 1 I've had on multiple devices.

    I now have an isheildz on it but I wasn't impressed...

    Sent from my Galaxy S 3 via JB 4.2.2 - thanks Tasks AOKP!
    Ouch, wish I knew how a "U" shaped groove happened. Wow.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse2K View Post
    Ouch, wish I knew how a "U" shaped groove happened. Wow.
    Only thing I can think of is it was sand or something in my pocket that got caught on the soft side of the flip cover, and while it was in my pocket the flip cover shifted in a semi rotational direction. It's deep, and dead centre on the screen. Luckily it's not see able under the isheildz...

    Sent from my Galaxy S 3 via JB 4.2.2 - thanks Tasks AOKP!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    Only thing I can think of is it was sand or something in my pocket that got caught on the soft side of the flip cover, and while it was in my pocket the flip cover shifted in a semi rotational direction. It's deep, and dead centre on the screen. Luckily it's not see able under the isheildz...

    Sent from my Galaxy S 3 via JB 4.2.2 - thanks Tasks AOKP!
    That's all it could be but luckily screen protectors tend to fill in the scratches and make them nearly invisible. I took my Flip Cover off because I did get a bit tired of having any case on my phone when I'm at home. I just use a pocket pouch and I've never had any issues in the past. I hope my Note II doesn't fall victim to scratches.

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    I got a scratch on my screen with the flip cover. Of course it could have been caused when I dropped the phone.

    Anyway I got insurance to cover damaged screen, i could drop my phone every week and get a replacement with no deductible

    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note II
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    I brought the flip cover home with me from the VZW store along with my new Note II. While it provides protection, it has no way to keep it closed. So in a pocket, or purse, if it isn't put in snuggly, the cover can gap open and objects could get between the cover and your screen. I did drop my Note on the carpeted living room floor which did not damage the phone at all, but the flip cover snapped off the back completely. It snapped right back on but it does illustrate that the flip cover does not give a high level of protection in many instances, especially when dropped.

    I do use and highly recommend VZW's screen protector pack--3 screens for $9.95.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Flip Cover and Scratches?

    My flip covers close. No gap. I haven't had a problem with them. I also use the screen protectors. Perfect

    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note2
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 98
    Last Post: 09-10-2013, 01:05 PM
  2. Just received my free flip cover and tec tiles from Samsung!
    By Tsudeily in forum Sprint Galaxy S3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 09:08 AM
  3. Just received my free flip cover and tectiles
    By Roustermiller in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-05-2013, 02:24 PM
  4. Flip Covers and Home Button Stickers Compatible?
    By andrewiskang in forum Verizon Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 10:29 AM
  5. Galaxy S3 faux leather flip cover and back case
    By seattle in forum Sold / Archived Marketplace Threads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2012, 11:37 AM

Posting Permissions

B