Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gotta have it android
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Terrible battery life?

I have been getting very poor battery life. I took my phone off of the charger it came with today at 1pm. It is 6 pm now and my battery is at 39%

Today I have used path, some light messaging on Google+, and steamed like 6? Songs over bluetooth using rdio.

Not to be 'that guy' but I use my iphone 5 much more and it can last the day. I'm glad this isn't my only phone.

Is there a way to improve battery life outside of dimming the screen? I live in California so dimming the screen really isn't a solution with the amount of sunlight here.

Do you guys carry spare batteries? How do you handle it? Do I just have a bad battery?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    iPhone 6+ & Galaxy Note 4 user. Google Glass Explorer.

Default Re: Terrible battery life?

Could be the battery. Also having stuff to sync the second you get something (push) drains, leaving your screen to the highest all the time drains so you can try and set it to auto. turn things off you dont use all the time like S Beam and NFC, also GPS drains often
    Quote Originally Posted by thedeadbaby View Post
    I have been getting very poor battery life. I took my phone off of the charger it came with today at 1pm. It is 6 pm now and my battery is at 39%

Today I have used path, some light messaging on Google+, and steamed like 6? Songs over bluetooth using rdio.

Not to be 'that guy' but I use my iphone 5 much more and it can last the day. I'm glad this isn't my only phone.

Is there a way to improve battery life outside of dimming the screen? I live in California so dimming the screen really isn't a solution with the amount of sunlight here.

Do you guys carry spare batteries? How do you handle it? Do I just have a bad battery?

Liked what I did or helped you out? A simple "thanks" would be great!
    If you want me to reply to you in a quick fashion hit the "reply with quote" or send me a message so it can be done
    Samsung Intercept(retired), HTC Hero(retired), Motorola Atrix 2(game phone"let's see what new ROM I can put on this today"), Samsung Galaxy S3(main phone), Asus Nexus 7(better than my parents iPad)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I think it's the battery. It doesn't seem like other note users have this kind of drain. I usually have the screen at the half marker. And set to auto.

Global Posts
    858 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I think it's the battery. It doesn't seem like other note users have this kind of drain. I usually have the screen at the half marker. And set to auto.
    I agree. I have had my phone off the charger for over 6 hours and I'm still at 81%. I would see if Verizon would be willing to switch the battery out without making you switch the phone.

Sent from my VZW Note 2 using Android Central Forums
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Sucks. I don't like talking to store reps.

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Install gsam from the market to see what's draining the most.

4G LTE Thunderbolt

ROM
    ATT SE 1.0

i need some pics. Make a screenshot of the home screen. Also go into settings..battery and show me a screenshot of that. Make a screen shot of application managers running apps.

There has only been a few time that my phone has acted in the way you describe. I thought there was something wrong with my phone as well...it ended up being an app that i thought i had closed but insted it just runs in the background. Not suspended but I actually closed it. It chewed through cpu time and in hour my battery used 30%. The whole time it did this the screen was off and in my pocket while in class.

I feel like if you talk to the store reps they'll have you replace the whole phone and charge you a stupid charge when really you just need a battery. Yes, I don't like reps if you can't tell. Lol
    Sucks. I don't like talking to store reps.

If you want me to reply to you in a quick fashion hit the "reply with quote" or send me a message so it can be done
    Samsung Intercept(retired), HTC Hero(retired), Motorola Atrix 2(game phone"let's see what new ROM I can put on this today"), Samsung Galaxy S3(main phone), Asus Nexus 7(better than my parents iPad)

ROM
    Stock

I have terrible battery life. See pics below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrible battery life?-screenshot_2013-02-19-21-01-58.png   Terrible battery life?-screenshot_2013-02-19-21-02-13.png  

What is the screen on time, and signal strength during that time? Gsam can show you the signal strength.

Hahaha. Had a good laugh with that one
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid_Evo_8 View Post
    I have terrible battery life. See pics below.

Thanked by:
    Droid_Evo_8 likes this.

I have 87% left after 6 hours off the charger. And yes, I have been using it. As others have said, it sounds like you have a bad battery.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Pulled the note off the charger at 1:30pm today. Here are my screens. Keep in mind that I haven't really used my phone today, and the only radio that is on is wifi. Screen brightness is below half with auto set.

Terrible battery life?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361756717.810236.jpg

Terrible battery life?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361756763.401640.jpg

This is my iPhone 5. Taken off the charger at the same time. I have bluetooth, wifi and GPS on and I've been using it. Terrible battery life?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361756827.369127.jpg

Global Posts
    1,371 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock unrooted

Don't know what you're trying to show. Those are just home screens, furthermore comparing to iPhone isn't useful. You need to get an app that will show you a break down of what is draining the battery. Again get gsam.

4G LTE Thunderbolt
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Was trying to show the battery drain. Not sure how this app helps. Terrible battery life?-uploadfromtaptalk1361758499496.jpg

Was thinking the same on that. Heres my S3 with auto for the screen and semi good use
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    Don't know what you're trying to show. Those are just home screens, furthermore comparing to iPhone isn't useful. You need to get an app that will show you a break down of what is draining the battery. Again get gsam.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Terrible battery life?-screenshot_2013-02-24-19-16-15.png  

Was trying to show the battery drain. Not sure how this app helps. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1361758499496.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	61386

Is that screen shot from after installing gsam and then doing a full charge,then start the discharge? If not, then do that. From the main screen. Press on the second button from the left on the bottom, that would show you temperature, phone signal, and radios.from the main screen, select app usage, it will tell you what each app used.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Just going to order a new battery.

ROM
    Stock

Just going to order a new battery.
    Which one? This one or this one?

Global Posts
    57 Global Posts

Pulled the note off the charger at 1:30pm today. Here are my screens. Keep in mind that I haven't really used my phone today, and the only radio that is on is wifi. Screen brightness is below half with auto set.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361756717.810236.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	61377

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361756763.401640.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	61381

This is my iPhone 5. Taken off the charger at the same time. I have bluetooth, wifi and GPS on and I've been using it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361756827.369127.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	242.6 KB 
ID:	61382
    Well one thing turn the weather widget off. And it also look like alot of things are syncing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Goldchamp View Post
    Well one thing turn the weather widget off. And it also look like alot of things are syncing.....
    Hi

Are you on 4.1.1 or 4.1.2? The 4.1.2 update is known to have reduced battery time, but what you're showing is still excessively high. Please install an app like betterbatterystats so we can see if there is an app keeping your phone awake.

Was trying to show the battery drain. Not sure how this app helps.
    This app is useful, however, the launch screen isn't the useful one. you have to click on:
    "App Usage" -> then, at the very top click on "App Sucker" -> from the pull down menu select "View Num Times Wake Device"

Whatever has the highest number of "wakelocks" is what is draining your battery the most. At one point my google maps had over 1000 wakelocks in an hour. I had to change some settings in various things (google drive, google maps, etc), but now my battery lasts over a day.

All I have to compare my battery life to is my thunderbolt that I used till sunday and a couple people that say they get about 27 hrs, but yesterday at just under 20 hrs I was at 15%. I assume thats good? Its much better than my bolt.

sent from viper's note 2 using tapatalk

Right now at 2 hrs 15 min im at 85% but I just came back from my walk, streaming music and using mapmywalk which uses gps

sent from viper's note 2 using tapatalk