Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By cwbcpa
  • 2 Post By Looony2nz
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default How to bring up Google Now

    My wife just moved from a Galaxy Nexus to a Note 2. On the Nexus the best way to get into Google Now was to swipe up from the home button. This gesture worked in any app or home screen. She could get to Google Now whenever she wanted.

    On the Note 2 the only way she's been able to figure out how to get to Google Now is to tap on the search bar on the home screen. And, when she does that it brings up Google Now with the keyboard covering half the screen. Since there's a hard button home screen there's no way to swipe up from the home button. Is there another way to quickly get to Google Now even when in apps?

    Thanks.
  2. #2  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    My wife just moved from a Galaxy Nexus to a Note 2. On the Nexus the best way to get into Google Now was to swipe up from the home button. This gesture worked in any app or home screen. She could get to Google Now whenever she wanted.

    On the Note 2 the only way she's been able to figure out how to get to Google Now is to tap on the search bar on the home screen. And, when she does that it brings up Google Now with the keyboard covering half the screen. Since there's a hard button home screen there's no way to swipe up from the home button. Is there another way to quickly get to Google Now even when in apps?

    Thanks.
    Press and hold home button when the app list pops up there is an option just above the home button that says google. Just select that

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. #3  
    cwbcpa's Avatar

    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    You can also download another launcher that allows you to set your own gesture controls. I use Nova launcher. I set it so that swype up opens Google Now.

    Sent from my Really Big Phone
    nismo591 likes this.
  4. #4  
    K_Daddy's Avatar

    Posts
    235 Posts
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    Just put the icon in the middle.
    Sent by Accident
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How to bring up Google Now-uploadfromtaptalk1362442869307.jpg  
  5. #5  
    ItsMrMark's Avatar

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    If your using Google apps for business for your Google account you will need to go in the settings (in your domain settings) and allow "Google now" to work. It's a Google apps thing.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  
    Looony2nz's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    hold the menu button down
  7. #7  

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    nyjetsfan1231 got it.. just hold the menu button down.. it's at the bottom left next to the Verizon button..
  8. #8  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by BevHillsLexusMike View Post
    nyjetsfan1231 got it.. just hold the menu button down.. it's at the bottom left next to the Verizon button..
    This only works when you are on a home screen.

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by K_Daddy View Post
    Just put the icon in the middle.
    Sent by Accident
    That's an idea but it presumes that I'm at the home screen. I want it available on any screen and in any app. That, of course, is the beauty of having a soft home button.
  10. #10  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    That's an idea but it presumes that I'm at the home screen. I want it available on any screen and in any app. That, of course, is the beauty of having a soft home button.
    If you hold the home button down is available from any app

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    If you hold the home button down is available from any app

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    Ok, I'll be real specific. Here's a real life example.

    I have a Galaxy Nexus. When I turn on the phone (without a lock screen) I can swipe up and it brings up Google Now voice search. I can talk to voice search and get a response. Why is this important? Here's something I do a lot. I'm in the car, I pick up the phone, turn it on, swipe up and say, "Navigate to xxx". It does a Google search, brings up maps and starts navigation. This all happens without me ever looking at the screen and with only 1 swipe. And, in fact, if there's bright sunlight on the screen I may not be able to see the screen anyway.

    Is there a way to do this on the Note? If not, I'd consider the Note 2 a step down in features. I'm hoping there's a way because I'm thinking of getting one. However, the S4 looks to have soft buttons so it may be more promising.

    If I could program the home button that would solve this. Can I do this in an alternate launcher? Say, long press on the home button brings up voice search?
  12. #12  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,645 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    Ok, I'll be real specific. Here's a real life example.

    I have a Galaxy Nexus. When I turn on the phone (without a lock screen) I can swipe up and it brings up Google Now voice search. I can talk to voice search and get a response. Why is this important? Here's something I do a lot. I'm in the car, I pick up the phone, turn it on, swipe up and say, "Navigate to xxx". It does a Google search, brings up maps and starts navigation. This all happens without me ever looking at the screen and with only 1 swipe. And, in fact, if there's bright sunlight on the screen I may not be able to see the screen anyway.

    Is there a way to do this on the Note? If not, I'd consider the Note 2 a step down in features. I'm hoping there's a way because I'm thinking of getting one. However, the S4 looks to have soft buttons so it may be more promising.

    If I could program the home button that would solve this. Can I do this in an alternate launcher? Say, long press on the home button brings up voice search?
    Here is a video I made.
    First from lock screen.
    Second from within an app using home button.
    Third from home screen long pressing back button.


    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  13. #13  

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    Ok, I'll be real specific. Here's a real life example.

    I have a Galaxy Nexus. When I turn on the phone (without a lock screen) I can swipe up and it brings up Google Now voice search. I can talk to voice search and get a response. Why is this important? Here's something I do a lot. I'm in the car, I pick up the phone, turn it on, swipe up and say, "Navigate to xxx". It does a Google search, brings up maps and starts navigation. This all happens without me ever looking at the screen and with only 1 swipe. And, in fact, if there's bright sunlight on the screen I may not be able to see the screen anyway.

    Is there a way to do this on the Note? If not, I'd consider the Note 2 a step down in features. I'm hoping there's a way because I'm thinking of getting one. However, the S4 looks to have soft buttons so it may be more promising.

    If I could program the home button that would solve this. Can I do this in an alternate launcher? Say, long press on the home button brings up voice search?
    I have Nova Launcher and just changed my home button to open my app drawer. You can set it to different applications as well.

    Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    With Nova Launcher I set the app drawer buttons swipe action to open Google Now, so when I swipe the app drawer icon up it opens it. Quick and easy. I love Google Now.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  15. #15  
    cwbcpa's Avatar

    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    Quote Originally Posted by Bombo_Strombo View Post
    With Nova Launcher I set the app drawer buttons swipe action to open Google Now, so when I swipe the app drawer icon up it opens it. Quick and easy. I love Google Now.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Yes. I recommended Nova Launcher in the 3rd post in this thread. It will allow the OP to do whatever they want. Has the OP tried this yet?

    Sent from my Really Big Phone
  16. #16  
    cwbcpa's Avatar

    Posts
    248 Posts
    Global Posts
    647 Global Posts

    Default Re: How to bring up Google Now

    I can also suggest using the Widget Locker app. I use this and can open Google Now directly from the lock screen. That is nice when in the car. It's one swype and you're ready to go.

    Sent from my Really Big Phone

Similar Threads

  1. How to get camera / google now on lock screen?
    By shofa in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-08-2013, 07:20 PM
  2. Can I change the Home Button to pull up Google Now?
    By cashiskingnyc in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 04:58 PM
  3. How do i get my NEWS card to work on Google Now?
    By funkylogik in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 01:13 AM
  4. XScope Browser -how to bring up regular eBay site and not the mobile one
    By rjack22 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2012)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2012, 08:20 AM
  5. How to bring the screen up when on a phone call
    By dunivan in forum Sprint Nexus S 4G
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 06:04 PM

Posting Permissions

B