Do I Have to Extend My Contract?

Terry4505

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
When I purchased my Note II in November I was able to use someone else's upgrade to retain my unlimited data (which was awesome). However, my contract is up this month and I am eligible for an upgrade.

Will my contract be automatically renewed? Is is possible to stay on Verizon without a contract? Is it possible to stay on the network, but not be tied to a new contract?

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Your service should stay the same, you are just not tied to your contract anymore. So you would also be free to cancel your line with no penalty. Keep in mind that if you do 'uprade' your line at anytime to get a new phone at a subdidized price you will Lose your 'Unlimited Data' and VZW will then automatically put you on a share everything, tiered data plan and you would be signing a new 2 year contract. I would also think that 'being out of contract' at some point they 'could' force/change your plan if they wanted to.

Margie
Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Your service should stay the same, you are just not tied to your contract anymore. So you would also be free to cancel your line with no penalty. Keep in mind that if you do 'uprade' your line at anytime to get a new phone at a subdidized price you will Lose your 'Unlimited Data' and VZW will then automatically put you on a share everything, tiered data plan and you would be signing a new 2 year contract. I would also think that 'being out of contract' at some point they 'could' force/change your plan if they wanted to.

Margie
Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Not completely true. You can upgrade to a new phone but you will have to choose a new data plan and will loose unlimited since it is no longer an available plan. the 2gb is the replacement for $30 a month or they have a 5gb option. But as far as i can see, they are not yet forcing existing family share accounts into tiered. I have an upgrade on my unlimited line since i two purchased my note to on a different line. As I went through the upgrade process to see what they would push me into I found the only thing that would change would be the lose of the unlimited to the 2gb.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
When I purchased my Note II in November I was able to use someone else's upgrade to retain my unlimited data (which was awesome). However, my contract is up this month and I am eligible for an upgrade.

Will my contract be automatically renewed? Is is possible to stay on Verizon without a contract? Is it possible to stay on the network, but not be tied to a new contract?

Anyone have experience with this? Thanks

to answer your actual question...no you do not have to extend your contract. you are basically on a month to month now, and you can drop your service anytime with no penalties. Only if you upgrade the line with the discounted priced phone will you have to sign for 2 more years. You can upgrade phones at full price to avoid a new contract.

Terry4505

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
to answer your actual question...no you do not have to extend your contract. you are basically on a month to month now, and you can drop your service anytime with no penalties. Only if you upgrade the line with the discounted priced phone will you have to sign for 2 more years. You can upgrade phones at full price to avoid a new contract.

This is exactly the answer I was looking for.

Thanks

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Not completely true. You can upgrade to a new phone but you will have to choose a new data plan and will loose unlimited since it is no longer an available plan. the 2gb is the replacement for $30 a month or they have a 5gb option. But as far as i can see, they are not yet forcing existing family share accounts into tiered. I have an upgrade on my unlimited line since i two purchased my note to on a different line. As I went through the upgrade process to see what they would push me into I found the only thing that would change would be the lose of the unlimited to the 2gb.
Thank you. I stand corrected! Yes, would just lose unlimited.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

If you don't have any upgrades available, you can start a new line of service, buy the phone at discounted price, and pay etf, which could be substantial savings over full retail. For example, I bought the note 2 for $37 from best buy. If i wanted to get the phone no contract, i could have started a new line of service, paid $37 plus the $350 etf, and have the phone free and clear. note that the $37 was due to a pricematch error on best buys part, but others have been able to get the phone for $50,which while more, is still substantially less than full retail

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I've done it and you don't lose unlimited if you have unlimited from your past contact and you buy full price at the end of a contract.

On a Note 2 blast.