Launcher opinions/side effects?

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
The way I see it, someone (or a group of people as is likely in Nova's case) work very hard to make an app that you wish to use. Sure there's a free version of it, and you probably don't care enough for the features that the paid version provide, but developers like the ones who make Nova deserve something in return for their hard work. They continually put out updates that make your phone that much more enjoyable. They do not get a dime of that $699 you paid for the phone, nor do they get a cut from your monthly service provider bill. They are at the end of the day, Android users like us, who have the know-how to step up and increase the users experience in a good way.

That's my take on it. Not trying to lecture but really, they deserve it. Also if you can afford to buy a flagship device off contract on the most expensive carrier in the United States, I think you can afford to skip a mocha latte from Starbucks for one day :eyeroll:

Nahh see I don't need the features the paid version offers. That goes for all other apps also. Why should I pay for functionality I don't need? I'm a consumer too.....paying for apps does not fit in mY budget

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Nahh see I don't need the features the paid version offers. That goes for all other apps also. Why should I pay for functionality I don't need? I'm a consumer too.....paying for apps does not fit in mY budget

Because donating to people who make your phone that much better is a worthy cause. But I see you don't understand the concept of donations. Keep consuming.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I have an issue with paying for apps, just a personal thing. I paid $699 for the phone, I don't need to spend any more on top of my monthly payment.
I buy what I want, and guess what? I've spent maybe...maybe $20 total out of pocket. Wouldn't it suck to have a $699 phone and not use it to its fullest potential trying to save $20?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not using apps and games all day enough to pay for them. It's just not worth it for me. And those notifications should be standard on all the apps in the stock UI. An app should not be needed to enable that functionality. .

I don't use my car all day but somehow I had to pay for it.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I like to use Holo launcher. BUT I have a conundrum. The Note 2 does a real neat trick where you pull out the pen and up pops some pen apps. That doesn't work with launchers, I understand. It certainly doesn't with Holo. The ONLY reason I use Holo (or any launcher at all) is because I want more than 16 slots on my home page. Here we are in version 4 of Android, with a 5.5" hi-def display and we are still stuck with 16 measly slots. Come on, guys. Get with it. This isn't the stone age anymore, like it was 2 years ago :p

tfly212

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I use Holo and have the spen set to launch S note when I remove the pen...works perfectly. System settings > s pen > popup s note. I also worked in a bunch of gestures using both holo and GMD so most actions can be done without icons.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I use Holo and have the spen set to launch S note when I remove the pen...works perfectly. System settings > s pen > popup s note. I also worked in a bunch of gestures using both holo and GMD so most actions can be done without icons.

I think he is talking about page buddy.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

voiceonly

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Over the weekend I finally got fed up with having such a nice large screen on my new Note 2 but only having the same number icon spaces on my home screen as my old crappy Thunderbolt so I installed Nova Launcher Prime.

So far I love it. I have a 6x5 grid on my homescreen with 7 items in the dock at the bottom. SO much more efficient. However, I'm starting to notice some of the negative side effects of using a launcher.

Anything else negative I should be aware of when using a launcher like Nova? I'm still debating on whether or not I want to keep using it. I really don't need or want much customization, I just want more icons on the home screen and dock. If that was a built-in option on Touchwiz I'm be a happy camper.

I have been using ADW for the launcher since I had my droidX, then RazrMaxx and now my Note2... The N2 is fairly new to me, but I haven't found any issues with it interfacing with the Samsung apps/etc.

voiceonly

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

It works with ADW on my Note2... pull the pen and that notepad app opens up.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
It works with ADW on my Note2... pull the pen and that notepad app opens up.

You can get the notepad to open. But not the page buddy thing. I finally said the heck with it and went to Holo, since the idiotic "you only get 16 slots although the screen can support a lot more" thing was torquing my nut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech