Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1812dave
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default if the store is selling VZW Note 2 for $0, can I buy it and pay $350 ETF to own it free and clear?

if the store is selling VZW Note 2 for $0, can I buy it and pay $350 ETF to own it free and clear?
    (plus the $35 activation fee that VZW charges, plus a couple of weeks of service)

okay... not really $0... it's actually $49.99, but I have a $50 gift card.

If my math is not wrong, this means I can get it for a little more than $425. Still much better
    than paying $799 full retail, no? Or is my math wrong?

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: if the store is selling VZW Note 2 for $0, can I buy it and pay $350 ETF to own it free and clea

Quote Originally Posted by maryhalltworound View Post
    if the store is selling VZW Note 2 for $0, can I buy it and pay $350 ETF to own it free and clear?
    (plus the $35 activation fee that VZW charges, plus a couple of weeks of service)

If my math is not wrong, this means I can get it for a little more than $425. Still much better
    That sounds like Fuzzy Math to me !!!
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Default Re: if the store is selling VZW Note 2 for $0, can I buy it and pay $350 ETF to own it free and clea

You're paying $350 (ETF), at least $30 (activation) + Setup fee + Whatever else they can hit you with legally (taxes, line surcharges, etc). Call a Verizon store and ask what the full setup comes out to or do it online. PLUS, Verizon phones are useless anywhere else. I think you can pickup Voice/3G data but you're not going to jump on another LTE network with a Verizon phone.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney

Global Posts
    10,403 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Are you looking not to be bound to a contract? That would make sense to me.

Some of the retailers like Amazon wireless and Walmart hit you with an additional fee of $400 if you do that before 181 days.
    I voided my warranty.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by androidluvr2 View Post
    Some of the retailers like Amazon wireless and Walmart hit you with an additional fee of $400 if you do that before 181 days.
    I don't believe Best Buy does that...at least they never did on the last 4 phones I bought from them during the last two years
    but have to check... especially since their revised their return policy on March 2(?).

I don't think Walmart does that either.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    You're paying $350 (ETF), at least $30 (activation) + Setup fee + Whatever else they can hit you with legally (taxes, line surcharges, etc). Call a Verizon store and ask what the full setup comes out to or do it online. PLUS, Verizon phones are useless anywhere else. I think you can pickup Voice/3G data but you're not going to jump on another LTE network with a Verizon phone.
    The activation fee will be waived if canceled within 3 days. There is no setup fee other than the activation fee. The charges would be prorated for the time used, so just cancel the same day

Also, certain retailers may have a secondary etf, Amazon has a $400 etf on top of the carriers $350 etf.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

got my note 2 at verizon store for (on launch day) $299. negotiated activation fee down to $20. Opened a new line (because I have unlimited). cancelled new line in a few days to avoid paying $17.12/month for a line plus taxes for two years. paid the cancellation fee of $300-something. bottom line, I only saved $100 by not buying the phone outright. next note 2 I bought was for my wife and I just bought it outright to avoid all the rigmarole.
    Samsung Note 2
    twinsfan1313 likes this.