experiencing lag

cw0974

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
hey AF.

Has anyone noticed any lag lately? My Note2 has been hitting a lot of lag lately. Phone, text, calendar, well just around everything.
Maybe it is time for me to root. Any suggestions?

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
I haven't encountered this. However, I'm using a custom ROM. If you haven't already, make sure that "power saving mode" isn't enabled.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't encountered this. However, I'm using a custom ROM. If you haven't already, make sure that "power saving mode" isn't enabled.

I have power saving mode enabled almost all of the time and it is hardly noticeable whatsoever. Same thing with my wifes note

Sent from my Nexus 7

cw0974

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

My power saving mode is never turned on either. My lag issue is so weird. It just started happening like a week ago and I did not install any new apps.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My power saving mode is never turned on either. My lag issue is so weird. It just started happening like a week ago and I did not install any new apps.

then I would do a reset. can't imagine that that won't fix it (because you haven't installed anything new).. But first, shut it off, remove the SD card and fire it up again to see if it still lags. Also, try SAFE mode (with card out). If it lags in that last scenario, go for the reset for the win.

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Having dealt with a 512 MB RAM phone (LG Revolution) for the past two years, it was always lack of RAM that caused my lag.

Look in Settings --> Apps at your Running Services or Running Apps (not sure what it's called in Jellybean). The lower right corner will tell you the total available RAM, and the lower left the used RAM. And each entry in the list will tell you the instantaneous RAM consumption for that Service/App. (You can see what part of the reported used RAM is freeable by the Android system by using something like the "Free RAM" function in Superbox Pro, but there's really no point except curiosity since you're already experiencing lag and Android *will* free that RAM as it deems it's needed.)

Fast fix, short of killing apps (which can be counterproductive over the long run, because of the way Android learns about which apps to keep in memory), is to shutdown/restart.

Longer term ways to reduce RAM consumption:
- Exit apps you're not using.
- Uninstall apps that constantly take up a lot of RAM.
- Limit widgets.
- Limit total number of apps installed. When I removed 50 apps, I regained about 30 MB of free RAM on average.

I can't guess what number is good. For my phone on Gingerbread, I fly at 150 MB, lag terribly at 50 MB. Jellybean might have more RAM needs than that.

jj2me

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is a lot, but my running shows "1.0gb used"

I don't have this phone, so can't comment on what numbers to expect. But I would monitor the available RAM (not the used RAM, as the two don't always add up to a constant, for example 1.0 GB used might sometimes show 600 MB available, and other times 300 MB available). You're trying to see if low RAM causes your lag, so you mostly want to monitor it when you experience lag. If you do see some low amount of available RAM, and it correlates to lag, then you can scroll through the services/apps to see which one(s) is causing the low RAM. Maybe your solution will be simply to exercise more diligent user behavior in exiting apps when you're done with them.

I look at Running Services (what it's called in Gingerbread) about ten times a day. But my phone only offers 368 MB of user-available RAM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax