Abysmal 4G in New York City

pendraggon87

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
My speeds range from 0.2 - 2 Mbps. One test I even got 5, though I have never been able to replicate. My dbm value fluctuates between -115 to -80, but is still ridiculously slow. They even replaced my device when I complained. Has anyone noticed speeds like this? Could it be a SIM card issue? Or maybe the back of the battery cover is damaged somehow (I noticed that there are things on the back that appear to connect to something near the SIM card)?

cmersman

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Download Sensorly app

This will show you the 4G LTE coverage in your area. It sounds like you may just be on the outskirts of a 4G area causing slow connection. Last I looked (which was a while ago) it was only like the Bronx that was fully covered into 4G goodness

pendraggon87

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Download Sensorly app

This will show you the 4G LTE coverage in your area. It sounds like you may just be on the outskirts of a 4G area causing slow connection. Last I looked (which was a while ago) it was only like the Bronx that was fully covered into 4G goodness

Looks like a cool app. The problem with it is that it keeps trying to use the GPS, and the GPS is always saying "Searching" - it says searching when using Maps but still finds my location. With Sensorly, it just stays at 0/25 satellites.

pendraggon87

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Download Sensorly app

When looking at the map, it overlays almost all of Manhattan in purple, and when I click on my location, it says LTE 4 bars.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Try a new sim. The back doesn't matter since it only has the nfc antenna

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't have numbers but i live in NYC.. if you mean Manhattan, that's another thing.. either way my 4g is strong. Gps is always crap in major cities with skyscrapers

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd call Verizon and have them open up a network trouble ticket and an engineer will go out and check everything out. Happened in my area slow speeds and on and off 4g Verizon sent a tech and a switch was bad at the site.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I live and work in Manhattan and mid summer last year something changed in the area between 59th street and 14th street that resulted in Verizon's 4G service taking a serious turn for the worse. It's really pronounced in Times Square. Elsewhere in the city I'm still seeing 20 megabytes or better for downloads and about 5 on the upload.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12