Smartphone virgin; want least connected OS

bamboo616

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I bought a N2 a couple of weeks ago, which was my first foray into smartphones. The least appealing aspect to me is connecting and sharing. I'm not doing anything I should not, but I detest sharing my personal information in exchange for an app that gives me instant weather, etc.

The OS is JellyBean 4.1.1. But what I'd like to know -- is there is any better OS that will mimic accessing the internet as I would on a desktop or laptop? On my other computers, when I want to browse the news, I just go to Google News and search for articles. Apparently, I can't do that on this system. I've downloaded a couple of news apps, but they don't give me the broad exposure to different sources and stories as does Google News. I really don't like that websites give me a different version on my phone than a regular computer.

nightelfdruid

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
Bamboo, try dolphin browser, and download the add on called desktop toggle. That will allow you to switch to a desktop version of the interwebs.

Sended from teh galuksee noat tew.

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
So news.google.com does not work on your browser? I am assuming that you signed in to your Google account on the phone, though I can understand not wanting to share with other sites. I have tried that address on both chrome and the built in Internet browser, and it loaded fine for me.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
What information are you being asked to share?

I use the Google news and weather app. By default it shows you world, top stories, U.S., health, sci fi, and sports.
I added a few that I want to see such as Android, newsnet5, and the Cleveland Indians.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, social is one of the most annoying things to hit the internet ever. I don't want everyone to know I just checked in to the mens room or airport or McDonalds or whatever, and I doubt anyone cares that I did. Everyone wants you to like them on facebook or log in with twitter or whatever other idiotic timewaster happens to come along. Just use your browser and go to the website like you always do on your desktop. You may get a mobile version of it, but that's just a simplified version of their site. Don't download their apps - like say the USA Today app or even the AndroidCentral app. They are unnecessary and a waste of storage. I don't have any corporate apps and I don't miss them. If the company says I need them I do business elsewhere. And getting nagged at that "Hey! We have an app!" (looking at you, Android Central) on my browser every time is annoying. If I wanted the app I'd get it. Bug off.

bamboo616

May 2, 2013
Visit site
What information are you being asked to share?

Nothing; the information is taken from me via cookies, which are planted onto your computer to monitor your viewing activities. Except that on my regular computers, I use a couple of programs to wipe cookies and privacy violations. When I look at mail, I log out, clean the computer, then access other sites that I want. I feel this is especially important when I do any kind of online banking or mail order.

Go into your phone, on settings, application manager, click on any app, look on the bottom at permissions. Many (if not most) apps can access your private information, including your telephone number, contact lists, etc. It's frightening.

Let's say that I'm looking at news and see a story about advances in cancer, so I read a few articles about cancer. If I don't clean the computer, it now sends ads telling me how to manage "my" cancer (which I do not have). I don't like websites trying to guess what products I want to buy or what articles may interest me, based on what I've read in the past. That's the kind of privacy invasion I detest.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks; will try.

chrome browser on the note 2 is just like the browser on laptop, in the menu it has a new incognito tab, and also a "request desktop site" button. if you are logged into chrome on laptop and on note 2 you can see the pages that are open on each and switch back and forth easily. most web pages load in a simple mobile form like someone said, however if you scroll to the bottom of their pages many have a "full site" or "desktop" selection to load on usual page. i frankly hate facebook.....do people really want so much pesonal info floating out there unretrievable? you do not have to use any app that makes you uncomfortable, disable the ones you don't want.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Nothing; the information is taken from me via cookies, which are planted onto your computer to monitor your viewing activities. Except that on my regular computers, I use a couple of programs to wipe cookies and privacy violations. When I look at mail, I log out, clean the computer, then access other sites that I want. I feel this is especially important when I do any kind of online banking or mail order.

Go into your phone, on settings, application manager, click on any app, look on the bottom at permissions. Many (if not most) apps can access your private information, including your telephone number, contact lists, etc. It's frightening.

Let's say that I'm looking at news and see a story about advances in cancer, so I read a few articles about cancer. If I don't clean the computer, it now sends ads telling me how to manage "my" cancer (which I do not have). I don't like websites trying to guess what products I want to buy or what articles may interest me, based on what I've read in the past. That's the kind of privacy invasion I detest.

I see you're talking web browsing.
I use Dolphin beta. I have it clear history and cache every time I log out.
It also has a privacy mode that won't track you while browsing and doesn't store cookies.

As to app permissions, it isn't frightening to me in the least. I don't install apps that ask for unnecessary permissions. Some of the apps want access to things like phone and SMS because if you're using the app and a phone call comes in, the app will stop, or it can send you text messages, or share with your contacts.

Look at the apps, they tell you why they need permissions, if you think what it wants is unwarranted, don't install it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21