Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pool_shark
  • 1 Post By Lodingi
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

Default How to updated software from a rooted device

I am new to the android world. How do I do the software update is my Note 2 is rooted and unlocked? I tried the software that temporarily unroots your phone, but doesnt seem to work on Note 2.

Global Posts
    958 Global Posts

Default Re: How to updated software from a rooted device

Looks like some are having success with Voodoo Root Keeper Verizon Software Update
    I have not tried it, so can't verify if this is an appropriate method or option for you.

Phil, I can't update my system either, even after temp unrooting using Voodoo. The update simply fails.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

If you have a custom recovery it wont allow the OTA to install and usually when you have an unlocked bootloader, you have a custom recovery instead of the stock. Once someone creates the .zip with the update you should be able to load the update through your recovery.

EDIT: The guys at rootwiki have posted a rooted zip file for install - not sure if it relocks the bootloader or not but they have the rooted update posted
    Last edited by BlkWolf03; 05-04-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Can anyone explain why someone that went through the process of unlocking the bootloader prefers to use Verizon's update instead of a custom ROM?
    Lodingi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWolf03 View Post
    If you have a custom recovery it wont allow the OTA to install ...
    I don't have a custom recovery - stock ROM, but rooted. Cannot update, even after temp unrooting with Voodoo. Nobody has yet provided any insight on why this happened, either here or on XDA.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

I needed the phone unrooted for certain applications. I do not use a custom ROM. When I tried a few custom ROMS on my Galaxy S3, there were always some features that did not work, such as GPS, or the camera was flaky. Haven't really seen a huge advantage with the custom ROM.

I have the same problem, rooted but not unlocked. I even removed the root and I still couldn't update.

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post
    I don't have a custom recovery - stock ROM, but rooted. Cannot update, even after temp unrooting with Voodoo. Nobody has yet provided any insight on why this happened, either here or on XDA.
    In settings->about phone->status does it show Normal or Modified under Device Status? I read somewhere that if it says modified that it could prevent you from updating - not 100% sure about that tho

Global Posts
    791 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Can anyone explain why someone that went through the process of unlocking the bootloader prefers to use Verizon's update instead of a custom ROM?
    This. I think the op is creating more work than is necessary. Like I mentioned in another thread, just flash . It's based off Verizon's latest 4.1.2 update.

Global Posts
    958 Global Posts

I think the OP is rooted but still has a locked boot loader. Agree CleanROM is a good choice (I'm using it), but need to be unlocked to flash.

Global Posts
    791 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dog5000 View Post
    I think the OP is rooted but still has a locked boot loader. Agree CleanROM is a good choice (I'm using it), but need to be unlocked to flash.
    I too am using Clean Rom and loving it. The OP did state he was unlocked. He most likely was not aware it was released.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Dog5000 likes this.

Global Posts
    958 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lodingi View Post
    I too am using Clean Rom and loving it. The OP did state he was unlocked. He most likely was not aware it was released.

Cool, thanks for clarifying on the unlock.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

Thanks for the replies. A few questions:

I am quite certain I am unlocked, is there a way to verify this?

If I flash the clean Rom, will I loose everything. I have went to a lot of effort to get my phone set up and have a lot of apps. Will Titanium backup allow me to restore my current settings? I have the app installed, but have never used it.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

Thanks for all the help. I took Lodingi's advise and went with the cleanrom. It was a lot less painful than I had imagined. Here are the steps I took, in case anyone else wants to know.

1. Download the Rom from
    2. Backup existing apps an data with Titianium Backup
    3. Copy the new rom to you SD Card
    4. Boot into recovery mode
    5. Do a factory reset
    6. Wipe the data
    7. Install the rom from the SD Card
    8 Re-install the data / apps from Titanium Backup

Job done..

Global Posts
    958 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by phil1995 View Post
    Thanks for all the help. I took Lodingi's advise and went with the cleanrom. It was a lot less painful than I had imagined. Here are the steps I took, in case anyone else wants to know.

1. Download the Rom from
    2. Backup existing apps an data with Titianium Backup
    3. Copy the new rom to you SD Card
    4. Boot into recovery mode
    5. Do a factory reset
    6. Wipe the data
    7. Install the rom from the SD Card
    8 Re-install the data / apps from Titanium Backup

Job done..
    Good list. I updated to the latest CleanROM last night. One additional step I took was flashing the newest radio. There are links to those on scottsroms.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

Can you explain what "flashing the newest radio" is? I assume you did that after flashing the clean rom.

Global Posts
    791 Global Posts

Can you explain what "flashing the newest radio" is? I assume you did that after flashing the clean rom.
    Yes. In addition to updating the O/S, Verizon also updated the modem (radio).

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

I found the radio file, do you just boot into recovery and install it just like I did with the clean rom?

is this the correct file?

File Type: zip I605VRAMC3 Modem.zip (18.96 MB, 1153 views)

Global Posts
    791 Global Posts

I found the radio file, do you just boot into recovery and install it just like I did with the clean rom?

is this the correct file?

File Type: zip I605VRAMC3 Modem.zip (18.96 MB, 1153 views)
    Yes. Same practice applies.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

Thanks for the help, I flashed the radio with no issues.

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to the whole android thing so as much as it pains me to admit, I don't know my way around it very well.

I rooted my phone last year some time because my network lost my unlock code which I needed, but since then haven't been able to update my firmware (obviously enough). It's a Galaxy S2, but I'm running gingerbread 2.3.5 and want to upgrade. I tried to unroot my phone last night by deleting all superuser files ( ~/system/xbin/su), but had no luck. I can't update using FOTA from the phone itself, or through a PC either. I know you can get the new Jelly Bean 4.1.2 on the phone but I'm at a loss how.

I don't know what CleanROM is or how to use it. Could anyone maybe point me in the right direction please? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Global Posts
    958 Global Posts

For unrooting, SuperSU has a "Full unroot" option that will clean up the related files. Likely Superuser does as well, but haven't used it on the Note 2, so can't verify. If you don't want to go the full unroot option - and I assume you don't, you could go with a temp unroot utility. Havent used any, but believe there are some on Play.

If your bootloader is unlocked, and you have a custom recovery like Clockwork Mod or TWRP installed, then you could download the custom ROM of your choice. If you don't want or need the TouchWiz features in 4.1.2, then you could go with a 4.2 based custom ROM. Goo Manager is a good utility to try to see what custom ROMs are available for your S2. If you want to go stay with a TouchWiz based ROM, then CleanROM has my vote. I quickly looked, but unfortunately didn't see an S2 based CleanROM. There are likely many other good TouchWiz based ROMs out there.

For S2 specific help and ideas, I'd post your question above here http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s2/
    Thanked by:

Thanks! I had SuperSU since I rooted the phone, and ran the full unroot option, but I still can't update my software.

Do you know if I factory reset my phone and just manually put 4.1.2 on it using odin, would it work?

Global Posts
    958 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by killiandeadbolt View Post
    Thanks! I had SuperSU since I rooted the phone, and ran the full unroot option, but I still can't update my software.

Do you know if I factory reset my phone and just manually put 4.1.2 on it using odin, would it work?
    I don't have any experience with the S2. If there's an Odin based stock and non-rooted 4.1.2 image available then that will essentially wipe everything and accomplish more than just a factory reset. Highly recommend that you backup anything important to you before starting out on the Odin option. Suggest posting, if you haven't already in the S2 forum. There are probably people there who have more S2 specific experience and may be aware of any potential gotchas. What I've shared with you is generally applicable to most current generation Galaxy phones like the S3 and Note 2, but since I don't have any hands on knowledge for the S2, highly recommend asking in the S2 forum.