why is the Note 2 still more expensive than the new S4 at Verizon?

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
why is the Note 2 still more expensive than the new S4 at Verizon?

Maybe because the Note 2 is still in a class by itself really, so they can price it how they think it should be priced. It really has no direct competition at Verizon.

S4 is really competing more with the HTC Droid DNA and Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD, and both are priced comparably with VZW.

reb422

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Maybe because the Note 2 is still in a class by itself really, so they can price it how they think it should be priced. It really has no direct competition at Verizon.

S4 is really competing more with the HTC Droid DNA and Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD, and both are priced comparably with VZW.

Agreed. The S4 will be a great phone and a very nice big brother to the S3... but the Note II stands alone as the best phone on the market IMO. The size and S-pen that people were on the fence about have both proven to be VERY useful!

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I just bought one the other day on Amazon for $150... using my upgrade. Waiting on the UPS guy right now.

I am a little disappointed that I couldn't wait for the Note 3, but I figure I could sell this one and buy the N3 off contract.

I'm hoping this is a worth upgrade from my GS3.

mp0890

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Just ditched my iPhone 5 for the Note 2. Got one from ebay for $350, no upgrade, and love it. It was $850 at Best Buy and I don't expect that to change soon.

Posted via Android Central App

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah $850 is way too much, they are $699.99 on Amazon. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but I think the phone companies have to be paying manufacturers to keep the prices of phones so high. Yes, it is more expensive to fit high end tech in smaller devices, but at most it probably only costs $250 to make each device. Samsung list the full price at $650, which is a huge markup... much higher than any tablet that you can buy not tied to a carrier.

Imagine how much money carriers would lose if we could buy the Note 2 straight from Samsung for $400. They would not be able to tie us into two year contracts without making major changes to the current contract system. I have no proof, but I guarantee carriers are giving kickbacks to the manufacturers, which we are paying in the way of higher monthly bills.

tinfoilhat.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You could wait for a sale, the note 2 was $50 earlier this year

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

jweimn

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah $850 is way too much, they are $699.99 on Amazon. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist, but I think the phone companies have to be paying manufacturers to keep the prices of phones so high. Yes, it is more expensive to fit high end tech in smaller devices, but at most it probably only costs $250 to make each device. Samsung list the full price at $650, which is a huge markup... much higher than any tablet that you can buy not tied to a carrier.

Imagine how much money carriers would lose if we could buy the Note 2 straight from Samsung for $400. They would not be able to tie us into two year contracts without making major changes to the current contract system. I have no proof, but I guarantee carriers are giving kickbacks to the manufacturers, which we are paying in the way of higher monthly bills.

http://interlockroc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/tinfoilhat.jpg

Well 850 is really just because it is best buy. Any non corporate dealer like that will mark the phone up as with no contract best buy is hit with 699 for the phone so they mark it up with a profit at 850 so if they sell to you off contract money has still been made.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
...it probably only costs $250 to make each device. Samsung list the full price at $650, which is a huge markup...I have no proof, but I guarantee carriers are giving kickbacks to the manufacturers, which we are paying in the way of higher monthly bills.

I've read in phone industry journals that carriers actually buy the iPhone from Apple. It's not like they get a consignment and only remit to Apple when when they sell a phone. The full price for all smartphones is really an absurdist joke. As par for the whole setup, the 1% are ripping us off bad.

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Just ditched my iPhone 5 for the Note 2. Got one from ebay for $350, no upgrade, and love it. It was $850 at Best Buy and I don't expect that to change soon.

As of the date/time stamp of this post, it's $799 online for Best Buy with free shipping. Why pay more? Indeed why pay that since you can get it for $699 even at Verizon.

Last edited:

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I just bought one the other day on Amazon for $150... using my upgrade. Waiting on the UPS guy right now.

I am a little disappointed that I couldn't wait for the Note 3, but I figure I could sell this one and buy the N3 off contract.

I'm hoping this is a worth upgrade from my GS3.

Trust us who own the Note2. You will love it:)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

Joey Esquivel

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Best buy ad matches even to Amazon, as long as the product is in stock and order-able at the purchase time. Ive been keeping an eye on different websites that sell the Note 2, since i can upgrade soon, to make sure i pay the lowest amount.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Best buy ad matches even to Amazon, as long as the product is in stock and order-able at the purchase time. Ive been keeping an eye on different websites that sell the Note 2, since i can upgrade soon, to make sure i pay the lowest amount.

Best Buy official policy does not allow for price match of contract phones anymore . If course, you may get lucky, but that would be dependent on the store. You can price match to the full retail price of $699 from Verizon.

signaltwins

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
Best Buy official policy does not allow for price match of contract phones anymore . If course, you may get lucky, but that would be dependent on the store. You can price match to the full retail price of $699 from Verizon.

contract price is discounted.... buying it at full prices means it's just another piece of electronics, eligible for price-match.

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
True story. I have had it set up the way I like it for 2 days now and it is already the best phone I have already owned. It blows the GS3 out of the water.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995