Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By signaltwins
  • 3 Post By Chetan Takyar
  • 1 Post By bakerbert
  • 1 Post By Dog5000
  • 1 Post By dpham00
  • 3 Post By karsdroid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default am I the only one who prefers 54 icons on the home screen?

I've used GoLauncher on my Verizon Note 2. It allows me to adjust the icons smaller.
    It's currently at 6 columns and 9 rows. (54 icons)

In reality, I only have 39 icons and 2 widgets on it. All are the once that I use daily or every other day.
    I just prefer it that way, as opposed to only 16 (4x4) in the standard Samsung Touchwiz. Everything
    at a glance and I don't have to swipe to another page or the app menu to start apps that I want to use.

However, my friends and co-workers and laugh and say I have too many things on there....
    (but in my defense, they all use the iPhone 5. )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails am I the only one who prefers 54 icons on the home screen?-untitled1-large-.jpg  
    Last edited by signaltwins; 05-13-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    lpt2569 likes this.

Default Re: am I the only one who prefers 54 icons on the home screen?

Quote Originally Posted by signaltwins View Post
    I've used GoLauncher on my Verizon Note 2. It allows me to adjust the icons smaller.

In reality, I only have 39 icons and 2 widgets on it. All are the once that I use daily or every other day.
    I just prefer it that way, as opposed to only 16 (4x4) in the standard Samsung Touchwiz. Everything
    at a glance and I don't have to swipe to another page or the app menu to start apps that I want to use.

However, my friends and co-workers and laugh and say I have too many things on there....
    Wow lol that's a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Chetan Takyar View Post
    Wow lol that's a mess.
    Your opinion of course. If it works for the OP, then it's a thing of beauty, and that's all that matters, not anybody's opinion.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by signaltwins View Post

(but in my defense, they all use the iPhone 5. )
    The ability to make the phone work exactly how you want it to work for your needs is all that matters. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by lpt2569 View Post
    Your opinion of course. If it works for the OP, then it's a thing of beauty, and that's all that matters, not anybody's opinion.
    I don't think it's necessary to add "Imo" after every post I make. It should be obvious.

ROM
    JellyBeans

To each his/her own and that is the beauty of Android. You can set up your phone the way you want.
    I Love having all my most used apps right in front of me...but i like my screen clean.
    My solution is Apex launcher pro.
    5 icons in the dock and a ton of gestures shortcuts (17 in total).
    Once you have it all memorized it is great but that takes a little while.
    Sent Via..Raven from Kings Landing
    BB Storm 1 > Samsung Droid Charge > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > Samsung Galaxy Note II & LG G Pad 8.3
    lpt2569 likes this.

Global Posts
    960 Global Posts

I like the idea. I've typically used two homescreens at most and one of the first things I do when setting up a new phone or ROM is deleting all but two screens. Usually the 1st screen is for my most frequently used apps, and the 2nd for semi-frequent stuff like utilities, finance, shopping, travel, etc. Those were organized into applicable folders.

With the Note 2's extra screen real estate and the Touch Wiz based ROM I'm using, I can get 45 icons per screen. More if I chose a different layout during ROM installation. Given I've only had the Note 2 a few weeks, am open to trying different usage models. One side benefit to just using one screen is to help prevent app sprawl. Yes, apps can still be installed, but perhaps having only one screen is a subtle subliminal system to help keep the number of apps reduced to those you need vs. want.
    lpt2569 likes this.

Whatever works is the right way to do it. I have two screens - one for when I'm home, and one for travel with stuff like fight trackers, GPS, alarms clocks, OneNote and that sort of thing. It works for me. I use Holo Launcher to get more icons up there too. I wish Android would give you that option - it's the only reason I use a launcher and I hate wasting storage on a second launcher when Android should allow you to do the same thing natively. I don't have quite that many icons though The awesome thing about the Note 2 is that you can put a mess of stuff up there and still be able to use it

The beauty of Android is the customization allowed. On my main screen, I organize my apps and widgets around my wallpaper, so as to not block the face. On my secondary screen, I use Elixir widget to have a 7x7 matrix of apps. I prefer to have all of my apps on a home screen because I don't like to use the app drawer.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    lpt2569 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lpt2569 View Post
    the op asked a question....and the answers are necessarily going to be from a personal perspective and one of which is ...no way do i want all that clutter on my homescreen. i love live wallpapers and have as little icons a possible on my main screen and then my well used apps on screens on either side of it. i get that everyone gets to choose for themselves, its the android way, but man, that mass of icons just makes the eyes bleed. I hate windows 8 in part because that metro screen is a mess and not anything i want cluttering up my computer, i end up staying on the traditional desktop except when forced.

Peacock....Peacock....Peacock.....hahahaha
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by karsdroid View Post
    the op asked a question....and the answers are necessarily going to be from a personal perspective and one of which is ...no way do i want all that clutter on my homescreen. i love live wallpapers and have as little icons a possible on my main screen and then my well used apps on screens on either side of it. i get that everyone gets to choose for themselves, its the android way, but man, that mass of icons just makes the eyes bleed. I hate windows 8 in part because that metro screen is a mess and not anything i want cluttering up my computer, i end up staying on the traditional desktop except when forced.

Peacock....Peacock....Peacock.....hahahaha
    I totally get it, I was being a little defensive at the moment when I responded! It may have been the beverages I was partaking in for dinner last night!

I love a clean and somewhat minimal home screen myself, but I also love that Android gives you so many options to do whatever the heck you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails am I the only one who prefers 54 icons on the home screen?-screenshot.png  

I don't want my phone's screen to look like an iPhone.
    I prefer to use the dock or swipe gestures to launch my most frequently used apps.
    Using Nova launcher, I can launch over 40 apps without going into my app drawer and without making my homescreen look like a PC.

I have the MIUI icon pack with folders in the app drawer with Nova Launcher.