Samsung Push Service - what is this?

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I got a notification today for "Samsung Push Service" - "New version available. Install now"

Anyone know what this is?

Thanks, Casey

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It's a push messaging system from Samsung for their own services. It is mostly used by ChatON. If you don't use this service or Samsung Hub and such, it won't affect you (I 'froze' the app)

kedra25

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
How do u register or get into the app once its been updated. I have a galaxy 3 and its not showing up all the things im hearing about.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
How do u register or get into the app once its been updated. I have a galaxy 3 and its not showing up all the things im hearing about.
Are you sure you want to update it?:) Being semi-serious for a moment...one way to think of the Push Service is as a "helper app". It helps to push out updates to the other Samsung apps listed on the Play store link that Lodingi shared.

So, don't think you can directly access the app, but given I don't have it on my phone, defer to those that might for any details.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Go to System Settings, then Application Manager, then click on the App you want to disable. This brings up App Info for the particular app. In App Info section you'll see an option for Disable.

Not all apps have a Disable option, though.

HedgeHog1749

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Spookdroid:

Thanks for nothing. I asked what a push service is and you replied it is a push service. I don't know anymore than I did when before I read your answer, only another several minutes of my life wasted!

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site
No reason to flame him. He told you what it is. It's a helper app for other Samsung apps that receive push notifications, such as ChatON and Samsung Hub. If you don't use Samsung apps on your phone, you can probably disable it with no ill effects. If an app starts flaking out, then just re-enable it.

Posted via Android Central App

FSU30

May 19, 2013
Visit site
Spookdroid:

Thanks for nothing. I asked what a push service is and you replied it is a push service. I don't know anymore than I did when before I read your answer, only another several minutes of my life wasted!

This is an incredible forum to help each other. Ditto the previous response. . . No reason to NOT be respectful.

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Spookdroid:

Hey, it's all good... just trying to help, and nope, I don't feel offended by your (rather harsh) remark. Just to be fair, you DIDN'T ask what a push service is... you asked what the app was. And that's what I responded :)

Now, you wanna know what a push service is? It's a service...that pushes things to your phone. No, really! It's a backround service that is lying dormant, awaiting 'commands' from another source (in this case, Samsung's servers). Once it gets the command to wake up and 'push' something to your phone, it becomes active and starts downloading something to your phone. In the case of e-mail apps, this lets you get a notification when you have new e-mail. In the case of messaging apps like Whatsapp, ChatON (which actually uses Samsung Push Service for it), and Line is that you get notified when you receive a new message and it downloads the message for you.

Why 'push'? Well, in the good ol' days of yore, smart phones were only getting smarter, but not quite so. There were no 'real time' notifications when you received an e-mail or a message (except for SMS/MMS, because those were handled by the carrier). So app developers responded to the users' need, or craving, to have instant gratification so they came up with polling services: Their apps would 'poll' their servers to check for new messages or items. Some apps still use this method because some services don't allow third-party apps to use them otherwise (like Facebook, or Twitter). You would set up at which intervals the app would wake up on its own, request the servers for new info, and download any new items if available. This became a big battery drain.

Enter Push services. Pioneered by the now-soon-to-be-defunct BlackBerry, they came up with a way to 'emulate' network messages to smart phones. You know how your phone is not constantly asking the carrier if you have a new phone call or if someone has sent you an SMS/MMS? You just get it instantly? Well, same idea but over data packets. The 'heavy lifting' would be done on the server side, and when you had new items waiting, the system would send the app a 'wake up' call, the app would then receive the new data, and then go back to sleep. Much more battery-efficient.

I hope that helps clear your doubt and if it doesn't, feel free to ask some more. Rude or not rude, I'll still answer ;) That's what we're here for :D

acreichelt

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
SpookDroid

Absolutely great response regarding what it is and how it works. now for me, my wife's Galaxy s4 (Verizon) locks up so quickly with this push message ("Unfortunately Samsung Push Service has stopped") that it is hard for me even to get far enough into the "setting" to do anything about the app. My guess is what might have happened is that my wife began deleting notifications from Google Play and that she deleted something that is causing this "Unfortunately Samsung Push Service has stopped" notification. I responded many times to notify Samsung without any change in it's symptom. I hooked it up to my PC in the hopes of being able to find the offending app and delete it so that I could reinstall it. However, I have not found anything that readily offers itself to be the right place or app to try this method. I received the message on the PC that The S4 was up to date. Then as a stroke of brilliance as I was finishing typing this to you,

I turned it off and then turned it on and ..... TA DA it works fine. I presume Samsung sent a fix and it just needed rebooting.

Thanks for your info

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If it ever locks up again, a good way to debug things is to boot your phone into Safe Mode. This disables pretty much everything non-basic on your phone at boot (if you choose to run the app later, it's up to you) so you can know if a newly installed app is the culprit or at least be able to get to the Settings without issues.

I believe to get to this mode is to power off the phone, then press POWER, HOME BUTTON, and VOLUME UP BUTTON at the same time and hold until it boots (if this gets you into recovery then it's Volume Down instead of up, I always mix those two up).

Cindiw23

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
This is very interesting...in that I have been struggling for MONTHS with my S3 getting very very hot and battery draining literally in minutes! I have ready many different things and tried them all to no avail. Last night I saw the battery going down yet again and went to my battery information and saw this Push app up to 25% battery. I am wondering if I disable it if this would help. I am at a loss as to the drain and heat that comes off my phone. I can have it charged at 100%, pull the plug and within minutes it is down to 70% or less. And very hot. I have tried the full boot this past weekend hoping that would help. NOPE! So frustrated. Love my phone but not lately!

Grommy

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I followed the instructions from Dog5000, to find I don't have an icon for Samsung Push Services. I only have icons for Samsung Print Service Plugin, and Samsung Account. Anybody? Go!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon