Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon rep claims that the latest OTA will allow me to use data with non-Verizon prepaid GSM SIM?

someone mentioned in another thread that a Verizon rep told him/her about data on non-Verizon GSM SIM cards....

I decided to call Verizon earlier today and find out if that was real or not.

After talking with two low-level tech support guys, I was transferred to a supervisor. She put me on hold for several minutes.
    When she came back, she "confirmed" that I can use mobile data with non-Verizon GSM SIM cards(foreign or U.S.). She
    said this "benefit" was added during the most recent 4.1.2 update.

When I told her that I have the 4.1.2 update, but still couldn't get data with a non-Verizon GSM SIM prepaid card, she apologized
    and offered to exchange my Note 2 with another one. I told her that I would think about it.

Should I take her offer and accept another Note 2? It will be a CLNR, but I don't really care, since mine is already a CLNR
    anyway. I couldn't tell that it was CLNR when I received it.

Default Re: Verizon rep claims that the latest OTA will allow me to use data with non-Verizon prepaid GSM SI

I don't think that it would make a difference. But sure, take it. No loss anyway. If it didn't work just return the new clnr they sent

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
    Spoken Word

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Jelly Bean

Default Re: Verizon rep claims that the latest OTA will allow me to use data with non-Verizon prepaid GSM SI

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingBackwards View Post
    someone mentioned in another thread that a Verizon rep told him/her about data on non-Verizon GSM SIM cards....

I decided to call Verizon earlier today and find out if that was real or not.

After talking with two low-level tech support guys, I was transferred to a supervisor. She put me on hold for several minutes.
    When she came back, she "confirmed" that I can use mobile data with non-Verizon GSM SIM cards(foreign or U.S.). She
    said this "benefit" was added during the most recent 4.1.2 update.

When I told her that I have the 4.1.2 update, but still couldn't get data with a non-Verizon GSM SIM prepaid card, she apologized
    and offered to exchange my Note 2 with another one. I told her that I would think about it.

Should I take her offer and accept another Note 2? It will be a CLNR, but I don't really care, since mine is already a CLNR
    anyway. I couldn't tell that it was CLNR when I received it.

You could actually do this before the update but not all GNII's worked though. I can attest to the fact that it works now though.