Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 2 is finally a true global phone(ROOT NOT NEEDED for 3G data on GSM) thanks to Verizon's update

I don't know if this has been posted or not, but the Verizon Galaxy Note II is now a true global phone.
    Use GSM SIM cards from any carrier for VOICE, TEXT and DATA(!)

No rooting required,
    if you updated it to Android 4.1.2 via the update released by Verizon Wireless earlier this month.

I confirmed this on two Verizon Galaxy Note II phones.(mine and my co-worker's)

The tests were done using AT&T post-paid GSM SIM card and T-MOBILE prepaid GSM SIM card.

Insert the GSM SIM card, go to Settings > More settings > Mobile networks > Access point name
    > Menu button > +Add new access point and input the APN name. (for example: fast.t-mobile.com
    for T-Mobile GSM SIM card) Wait a few seconds and the 3G data symbol will pop up.

Data is only at 3G speed for ATT and TMO, obviously. I did a few speed test and got around
    1mbps consistently, but that really depends on the signal strength in my area.

I also tried a T-Mobile Croatia prepaid GSM SIM card. The phone had no problem seeing it and
    picked up T-Mobile USA signal. However, since this card is not capable of roaming, I had no way
    of testing it.

Final thoughts... I rarely have nice things to say about Verizon Wireless, but they deserve my
    respects for updating the Galaxy Note II and making it a true global phone.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,995 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOSP, & stock.

Default Re: Note 2 is now a true global phone, thanks to Verizon's latest update(3G data on GSM, NO ROOT NEE

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah_Kirschbaum View Post
    I don't know if this has been posted or not, but the Verizon Galaxy Note II is now a true global phone.

No rooting required,
    if you updated it to Android 4.1.2 via the update released by Verizon Wireless earlier this month.

The tests were done using AT&T post-paid GSM SIM card and T-MOBILE prepaid GSM SIM card.

Insert the GSM SIM card, go to Settings > More settings > Mobile networks > Access point name
    > Menu button > +Add new access point and input the APN name. (for example: fast.t-mobile.com
    for T-Mobile GSM SIM card) Wait a few seconds and the 3G data symbol will pop up.

Data is only at 3G speed for ATT and TMO, obviously. I did a few speed test and got around

I also tried a T-Mobile Croatia prepaid GSM SIM card. The phone had no problem seeing it and
    picked up T-Mobile USA signal. However, since this card is not capable of roaming, I had no way
    of testing it.

Final thoughts... I rarely have nice things to say about Verizon Wireless, but they deserve my
    Is the HTC one as well?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    CyberAdic33 likes this.
    Spoken Word

Global Posts
    460 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Jelly Bean

Default Re: Note 2 is now a true global phone, thanks to Verizon's latest update(3G data on GSM, NO ROOT NEE

No rooting required,

of testing it.

You could actually do this before the update but not all GNII's worked though. I used a SIM Vodafone while overseas with no issues back in November and was even able to use a T-Mobile SIM here but it would only do voice. I complained and Verizon gave me a new phone in December and I've been able to use any GSM service. I truly wish it wasn't only 3G though.
    CyberAdic33 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    Is the HTC one as well?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    What HTC one? There is no Verizon variant yet.

Posted via Android Central App
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
    Hopefully, there will never be....

Considering the device was sold as a Global-Ready phone from the get go, yet it really isn't, yeah they get no praise from me. Nor for the fact that their update is almost 6 months late to the party and is about to be completely obsolete...
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by DaRkL3AD3R View Post
    Considering the device was sold as a Global-Ready phone from the get go, yet it really isn't, yeah they get no praise from me. Nor for the fact that their update is almost 6 months late to the party and is about to be completely obsolete...
    better late than never?
    cmarmolejos236 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post

well... it's coming in the summer

Default Re: Note 2 is finally a true global phone(ROOT NOT NEEDED for 3G data on GSM) thanks to Verizon's up

No rooting required,

of testing it.

I have a Verizon note 2 with the latest software which makes the phone unlocked like you stated , i see that the speeds were like 1mbps but are you able to Talk and surf the web at the same time Since its a GSM Sim inserted to the phone?

Default Re: Note 2 is finally a true global phone(ROOT NOT NEEDED for 3G data on GSM) thanks to Verizon's up

Quote Originally Posted by masetas View Post
    I have a Verizon note 2 with the latest software which makes the phone unlocked like you stated , i see that the speeds were like 1mbps but are you able to Talk and surf the web at the same time Since its a GSM Sim inserted to the phone?
    I used my Verizon Wireless Note 2 in Europe. I left my Verizon 4G LTE sim card at home and bought a local gsm micro sim card for 25 euros which included 1GB of data. (good for only 30 days)

When I talking to someone on the phone, it was not possible to browse the internet. Once I hung up, I was able to browse immediately. Don't know if this is caused by the carrier or the phonne?

Even while on Verizon, my Note let's me talk and surf the web, so I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylethekool View Post
    Even while on Verizon, my Note let's me talk and surf the web, so I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work.

That's only when the phone is on Verizon 4G LTE network...

probably not when it's on a foreign GSM 3G network

I think this phone only allows simultaneous talk-and-surf while on LTE networks. Those aren't yet available in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post
    I think this phone only allows simultaneous talk-and-surf while on LTE networks. Those aren't yet available in Europe.
    so it depends on the carrier?

(not that I talk and browser at the same time that much )

can now easily use VZW N2 on any carrier... but still not PagePlus (MVNO of Verizon Wireless)... pretty ironic

Quote Originally Posted by masetas View Post
    can't do talk and surf at the same time... but otherwise data works perfect on T-Mobile

I have just talk with Verizon Technical support and they explained that is unlocked so I can made calls and text but DATA is not possible.BECAUSE APN is locked and do not let enter the new information for the Local carrier on the country that we visite.

As I am ready for Vacation please Could you clarify this issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jozeinusa View Post
    I have just talk with Verizon Technical support and they explained that is unlocked so I can made calls and text but DATA is not possible.BECAUSE APN is locked and do not let enter the new information for the Local carrier on the country that we visite.

Thanks
    Verizon tech support was wrong. (well.... they had outdated info)

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    Carrier
    GB 2.3.6

Quote Originally Posted by jozeinusa View Post

Thanks
    I can confirm that you will not need to add APN data to get data with a foreign SIM. I am using a Nova SIM in Iceland right now...all I did was pop the card in, boot up and send the activation text as instructed. Working like a charm.

Beans 19 / Perseus Kernel / Green Machine Theme

Quote Originally Posted by tfly212 View Post
    I can confirm that you will not need to add APN data to get data with a foreign SIM. I am using a Nova SIM in Iceland right now...all I did was pop the card in, boot up and send the activation text as instructed. Working like a charm.
    I've also used my Verizon Note 2 without root in several foreign countries. All I had to do was to buy prepaid GSM sim cards from supermarkets or hotel front desks. However, it's necessary to enter the APN setting on some GSM carriers. (no biggie, since it usually comes on a piece of paper with the SIM card, or available by calling the customer service number)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiersten_Kress View Post
    I've also used my Verizon Note 2 without root in several foreign countries. All I had to do was to buy prepaid GSM sim cards from supermarkets or hotel front desks. However, it's necessary to enter the APN setting on some GSM carriers. (no biggie, since it usually comes on a piece of paper with the SIM card, or available by calling the customer service number)
    It's a biggie if, like Vodaphone in Prague, the customer service staff have no idea what they're doing. I had to throw the Vodaphone SIM away and go with T-Mobile instead. No problems then, just as I had no problems with A1 in Austria.

It's a biggie if, like Vodaphone in Prague, the customer service staff have no idea what they're doing. I had to throw the Vodaphone SIM away and go with T-Mobile instead. No problems then, just as I had no problems with A1 in Austria.
    I always buy T-Mobile sim cards when I'm in Europe. I just pop the SIM card in my Verizon Galaxy Note 2. Never had a problem.

Where do you buy the sim cards? (in Prague and Austria) thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MissyHaney View Post
    Where do you buy the sim cards? (in Prague and Austria) thanks!
    I just found an A1 store in Vienna (can't remember the street name, but near the main shopping district and on a corner) and a T-Mobile store in the mall in Prague across from the Andel metro station.

I just found an A1 store in Vienna (can't remember the street name, but near the main shopping district and on a corner) and a T-Mobile store in the mall in Prague across from the Andel metro station.
    I ended up going to a T-Mobile store near my hotel. Worked like a charm!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast