Note 2 is finally a true global phone(ROOT NOT NEEDED for 3G data on GSM) thanks to Verizon's update

Sarah_Kirschbaum

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this has been posted or not, but the Verizon Galaxy Note II is now a true global phone.
Use GSM SIM cards from any carrier for VOICE, TEXT and DATA(!)

No rooting required,
if you updated it to Android 4.1.2 via the update released by Verizon Wireless earlier this month.

I confirmed this on two Verizon Galaxy Note II phones.(mine and my co-worker's)

The tests were done using AT&T post-paid GSM SIM card and T-MOBILE prepaid GSM SIM card.

Insert the GSM SIM card, go to Settings > More settings > Mobile networks > Access point name
> Menu button > +Add new access point and input the APN name. (for example: fast.t-mobile.com
for T-Mobile GSM SIM card) Wait a few seconds and the 3G data symbol will pop up.

Data is only at 3G speed for ATT and TMO, obviously. I did a few speed test and got around
1mbps consistently, but that really depends on the signal strength in my area.

I also tried a T-Mobile Croatia prepaid GSM SIM card. The phone had no problem seeing it and
picked up T-Mobile USA signal. However, since this card is not capable of roaming, I had no way
of testing it.

Final thoughts... I rarely have nice things to say about Verizon Wireless, but they deserve my
respects for updating the Galaxy Note II and making it a true global phone. :)

Last edited:

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Note 2 is now a true global phone, thanks to Verizon's latest update(3G data on GSM, NO ROOT NEE

I don't know if this has been posted or not, but the Verizon Galaxy Note II is now a true global phone.

No rooting required,
if you updated it to Android 4.1.2 via the update released by Verizon Wireless earlier this month.

The tests were done using AT&T post-paid GSM SIM card and T-MOBILE prepaid GSM SIM card.

Insert the GSM SIM card, go to Settings > More settings > Mobile networks > Access point name
> Menu button > +Add new access point and input the APN name. (for example: fast.t-mobile.com
for T-Mobile GSM SIM card) Wait a few seconds and the 3G data symbol will pop up.

Data is only at 3G speed for ATT and TMO, obviously. I did a few speed test and got around

I also tried a T-Mobile Croatia prepaid GSM SIM card. The phone had no problem seeing it and
picked up T-Mobile USA signal. However, since this card is not capable of roaming, I had no way
of testing it.

Final thoughts... I rarely have nice things to say about Verizon Wireless, but they deserve my

Is the HTC one as well?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

cj100570

Spoken Word?
Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Re: Note 2 is now a true global phone, thanks to Verizon's latest update(3G data on GSM, NO ROOT NEE

No rooting required,

of testing it.

You could actually do this before the update but not all GNII's worked though. I used a SIM Vodafone while overseas with no issues back in November and was even able to use a T-Mobile SIM here but it would only do voice. I complained and Verizon gave me a new phone in December and I've been able to use any GSM service. I truly wish it wasn't only 3G though.

nrfitchett4

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

Is the HTC one as well?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

What HTC one? There is no Verizon variant yet.

Posted via Android Central App

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

Considering the device was sold as a Global-Ready phone from the get go, yet it really isn't, yeah they get no praise from me. Nor for the fact that their update is almost 6 months late to the party and is about to be completely obsolete...

Sarah_Kirschbaum

May 23, 2013
Visit site

Considering the device was sold as a Global-Ready phone from the get go, yet it really isn't, yeah they get no praise from me. Nor for the fact that their update is almost 6 months late to the party and is about to be completely obsolete...

better late than never? :)

masetas

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

No rooting required,

of testing it.

I have a Verizon note 2 with the latest software which makes the phone unlocked like you stated , i see that the speeds were like 1mbps but are you able to Talk and surf the web at the same time Since its a GSM Sim inserted to the phone?

FlyingBackwards

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a Verizon note 2 with the latest software which makes the phone unlocked like you stated , i see that the speeds were like 1mbps but are you able to Talk and surf the web at the same time Since its a GSM Sim inserted to the phone?

I used my Verizon Wireless Note 2 in Europe. I left my Verizon 4G LTE sim card at home and bought a local gsm micro sim card for 25 euros which included 1GB of data. (good for only 30 days)

When I talking to someone on the phone, it was not possible to browse the internet. Once I hung up, I was able to browse immediately. Don't know if this is caused by the carrier or the phonne?

Kylethekool

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Even while on Verizon, my Note let's me talk and surf the web, so I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work.

Posted via Android Central App

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I think this phone only allows simultaneous talk-and-surf while on LTE networks. Those aren't yet available in Europe.

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

can't do talk and surf at the same time... but otherwise data works perfect on T-Mobile

jozeinusa

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I have just talk with Verizon Technical support and they explained that is unlocked so I can made calls and text but DATA is not possible.BECAUSE APN is locked and do not let enter the new information for the Local carrier on the country that we visite.

As I am ready for Vacation please Could you clarify this issue.

Thanks

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I have just talk with Verizon Technical support and they explained that is unlocked so I can made calls and text but DATA is not possible.BECAUSE APN is locked and do not let enter the new information for the Local carrier on the country that we visite.

Thanks

Verizon tech support was wrong. (well.... they had outdated info)

tfly212

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Thanks

I can confirm that you will not need to add APN data to get data with a foreign SIM. I am using a Nova SIM in Iceland right now...all I did was pop the card in, boot up and send the activation text as instructed. Working like a charm.

Beans 19 / Perseus Kernel / Green Machine Theme

Kiersten_Kress

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that you will not need to add APN data to get data with a foreign SIM. I am using a Nova SIM in Iceland right now...all I did was pop the card in, boot up and send the activation text as instructed. Working like a charm.

I've also used my Verizon Note 2 without root in several foreign countries. All I had to do was to buy prepaid GSM sim cards from supermarkets or hotel front desks. However, it's necessary to enter the APN setting on some GSM carriers. (no biggie, since it usually comes on a piece of paper with the SIM card, or available by calling the customer service number)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair