Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Chrome bezel paint rubbing off after only a month

I'm very careful with my phones. I have not dropped this phone. I'm disgusted that the chrome has already started to rub off, and reveal white plastic underneath. For a $600 phone, that I need to keep for 2 years, I can only imagine how this thing will look as it gets older. I've only had it a month.

I really don't want a case. The phone is big enough. I do run a screen protector. So, what do I do? Take it back and get a warranty replacement? Is mine just a defect, or are they all doing this?

Default Re: Chrome bezel paint rubbing off after only a month

Quote Originally Posted by Misterb View Post
    I'm very careful with my phones. I have not dropped this phone. I'm disgusted that the chrome has already started to rub off, and reveal white plastic underneath. For a $600 phone, that I need to keep for 2 years, I can only imagine how this thing will look as it gets older. I've only had it a month.

I really don't want a case. The phone is big enough. I do run a screen protector. So, what do I do? Take it back and get a warranty replacement? Is mine just a defect, or are they all doing this?
    Yea you may need to take it back for a warranty replacement. I have had mine for a few months and haven't experienced anything like that.

As far as putting a case on it.... I just bought a Fosman TPU hybrid kickstand case from amazon.com. It doesn't make the phone bulky or heavier. And it protects the phone pretty well. Not bad for $6.99.

SENT FROM MY AMAZING NOTE 2!

I've had mine since last November and no issues with the chrome bezel beyond a chip on the top edge (by the headphone jack) from when I dropped it (my own fault, was careless). But it's typically in a Monaco vertical type leather pouch during transport though, so it's rather protected and doesn't come into contact with various surfaces.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the input

I called Verizon, and they said they would replace it under warranty, but the problem is that they will only give me a refurbished one. So, in order to get the chrome fixed, I have to go with a used phone that might have been purchased on launch day, and could have who knows what wrong with it. I'm gonna beat these guys at their own game. I'll put a case on it, even though I don't want to, and then when I get close to a year up on the warranty, I'll have them replace it, and either hope for a newer used Note 2 or maybe even a Note 3 if they don't have any old stock left

FWIW i was searching Amazon for a new battery cover and found the gray cover with the compleat phone body for cheap, of which the chrome bezel is a part of. I use the Samsung "bump case" which works great and does not add any exrta bulk.

They will never send you a note 3 in less than 12 months from now. Good luck. I would just deal with the wear mark.
    Also ;
    I'm curious, can you post a photo of the problem you're having?

SwiftKey'd from my Bohemoth Note2

Just this evening I've noticed that on mine, all four corners have what I would describe as stress fracturing. There are very small cracks like what I've seen when taking a piece of plastic and bending it just past it's typical flex. It shows as small cracks perpendicular to the curve of the bend.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Mamaluka View Post
    They will never send you a note 3 in less than 12 months from now. Good luck. I would just deal with the wear mark.
    Also ;
    I'm curious, can you post a photo of the problem you're having?

Here you go. There's also an additional spot on the other side

That does look like cheesy manufacturing. For a 700 dollar piece of hardware, that's not something I'd expect after 1 month. Don't know why they just don't use metal. So the phone costs 710 rather than 700, big deal

I have TMobile and the Note 3 and have the same issue, My phone is only 7 months old and in Excellent condition...I take very good care of my phones i have a protective screen and a shock absorbing case on my phone. I can't believe #Tmobile and #Samsung are telling me they don't know anything about this issue!
    D Martinez

Actually you are not the only one. My phone is also about 7-8 months old and I try to keep my phone in the best shape, after all it is a $700 phone. The biggest complaint I have about this phone is that the chrome paint chips off. It started to happen about 4 months ago. Right now, my phone condition looks like it has been to hell and back and there is no way that I could sell it for good money. Another negative point about the Note 3 is that if you try to get it repaired it will costs upwards of a couple of hundred dollars to replace the chrome bezzle/frame. If you try and do it yourself you may just end up braking the phone because the chrome frame is glued to the glass. So, where parts of where the chrome used to be, now is black. So it looks like a cheap phone, and for $700 bucks, this is completely unacceptable. On the other hand, the Note 3 features and benefits of the phone are the one of the best, but considering how cheap the outside build quality is, I am now considering going back to Apple and particularly the Iphone 6 because they are coming out with a larger screen.

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts

I've kept mine in a case the last 2 years and it looks flawless except for the chrome that has chipped away around the charging port. I find that level of wear to be unacceptable knowing how gentle I am with my electronics. When I checked the Verizon trade in website, they have a specific question about visible damage around the ports and when I answer 'yes' it drops the value to $26! Ridiculous.

Same thing. Chrome bezel paint is rubbing off. Looks horrible. I'm wondering whether I should just strip it all off or try to paint it back on with something.