Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GN2 doesn't work internationally

Hi,

I'm on a trip that takes me through France and Poland. In neither country does the GN2 connect to any carrier at all (the phone is an expensive brick in these locations). Before travelling I called Verizon customer service and they assured me the phone would just work. All I had to do is turn it on and make a call, they said. I know the rates for calls abroad are expensive, but I only need it for emergencies (receiving a call from home or making a call home). I don't want a new SIM card or to root my phone (and I shouldn't have to). However, my phone doesn't work at all in Europe. Says "no connection", doesn't roam, can't connect to any local carriers, etc. Both Samsung's and Verizon's data sheets list it as a global phone with all the necessary devices (like the GSM used in Europe), which is why I bought it. Some info I've seen on the web refer to a "Roaming" menu option which doesn't seem to exist on my phone. Verizon gave me a customer service number to call in case anything goes wrong, but it is utterly useless as the phone doesn't work at all in Europe. So, is it possible to make a phone call using the GN2 without modifying it while in Europe, or did Samsung and Verizon lie to me?
    Last edited by ranrod; 06-14-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Global Posts
    204 Global Posts

Default Re: GN2 doesn't work internationally

Did you update your roaming capabilities before you left for your trip?

Did you have the rep you spoke to add international roaming and calling to your account? If that isn't there, you can't connect to foreign networks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Maybe I fell pray to an incompetent VZN customer service rep. I told him what areas I would be visiting and stressed I wanted my phone to work in those. He kept insisting the phone would just work. No need to do anything. He said the only reason to add global services is to reduce the rates a little (in exchange for a higher monthly fee). He said, "ok, I've made sure your phone will work on your trip" or something to that effect a couple of times. International roaming was not added :\

Quote Originally Posted by ranrod View Post
    Maybe I fell pray to an incompetent VZN customer service rep. I told him what areas I would be visiting and stressed I wanted my phone to work in those. He kept insisting the phone would just work. No need to do anything. He said the only reason to add global services is to reduce the rates a little (in exchange for a higher monthly fee). He said, "ok, I've made sure your phone will work on your trip" or something to that effect a couple of times. International roaming was not added :\
    Need to make sure that your Mobile Network setting is not on LTE/CDMA and instead set to Global.

I was in Hamburg(Germany) last month. I did NOT have int'l roaming turned on, since I planned to buy a prepaid SIM card. I turned on my Verizon Note 2 when the plane landed at Hamburg airport. It worked just fine. Well.. I couldn't make any calls, but if I dialed a local Hamburg phone number, it just gave me a message that my call couldn't be completed and that I needed to contact them. (not surprising) I picked up a prepaid SIM card at a shop on my way to my hotel. As soon as I inserted into my Verizon Note 2, it worked just fine. I was able to make phone calls. Data also worked fine. The speed was slow, averaging about 1.3mbps, but fast enough for me to use Skype and YouTube.

A few days later, I flew from Germany to Croatia. Bought another sim card at the local T-Mobile shop for around US$35. Phone calls and data also worked as expected. Data speed was slower, at around 600kbps to 800kbps...

My Verizon Note 2 was completely stock, never rooted, and had Android version 4.1.2.