Note 2 vs note 3, Verizon & development

Flyboy1100

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Currently a Sprint costumer, will be switching to Verizon soon. (Contract up 9/18)

I really really like the look of the note 3, but I'm worried about development (currently running slimbean on my s3). Any ideas if it will be just as locked down as the s4? I know it is early to speculate, but I have a sinking feeling it will be.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't see why they would open it up, clearly Verizon is not a fan of unlocked bootloaders.
I've read that people were still installing ROMs via some sort of bootstrap.

CallerHoller

May 9, 2010
Visit site
Verizon still charges for stuff that should be a free feature. I'm sure they cried in their beds hugging a pillow when they had to let Google maps second VZnavigator.
Anyways, I rooted for free wifi hotspot. So I know that's an important reason they keep locking the bootloader with every update.

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Verizon still charges for stuff that should be a free feature. I'm sure they cried in their beds hugging a pillow when they had to let Google maps second VZnavigator.
Anyways, I rooted for free wifi hotspot. So I know that's an important reason they keep locking the bootloader with every update.

VZ Navigator still exists? :D

Flyboy1100

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't care about tethering or any of those things. Just want the ability to run different roms. I made it 4 months on my s3 before I got bored with touchwiz. Heck for navigation I use co-pilot so I don't even use any data for nav purposes.

I used my friends s4 and I thought it was laggy (didn't notice lag on the note2i checked out yesterday)
Decisions decisions...

MissyHaney

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't care about tethering or any of those things. Just want the ability to run different roms. I made it 4 months on my s3 before I got bored with touchwiz. Heck for navigation I use co-pilot so I don't even use any data for nav purposes.

I used my friends s4 and I thought it was laggy (didn't notice lag on the note2i checked out yesterday)
Decisions decisions...

I also use CoPilot Preimum because it doesn't require any data connection for navigation.
A lot of the places that i drive to have zero cellular signal coverage. (none from Verizon,
AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint) CoPilot is NOT perfect, but it's still cheap($7.99) and very
useful for my situation. My hope is that Google will someday make Google Maps Navigation
work completely offline.(which is about as likely as asking Santa Clause for a house made
out of cheese) :D

viper31573

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I would expect the note 2 to also be locked down tight with next ota. That's why I rooted now. I've heard Samsung wants the governments phone accts so everything has to be locked tight

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, and that is why I'm worried. Well not the once your rooted part, the part that it might not even be an option.

sammobile.com had an article about a developer's version of the GN3. Meaning it will be unlocked. I will be full price and so buying only really makes sense if you were going to pay full price anyway to for example keep unlimited data.

Flyboy1100

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
sammobile.com had an article about a developer's version of the GN3. Meaning it will be unlocked. I will be full price and so buying only really makes sense if you were going to pay full price anyway to for example keep unlimited data.

I will be a new customer, well new in the last 5years anyway, we had vzw before. Sprint was great for us, but they keep losing coverage in places I need to go so I have to switch or get booted and switch anyway.

I won't pay full price for the phone, especially when 1of our contracts will be broken 8 months early.

Michigan66

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I will be a new customer, well new in the last 5years anyway, we had vzw before. Sprint was great for us, but they keep losing coverage in places I need to go so I have to switch or get booted and switch anyway.

I won't pay full price for the phone, especially when 1of our contracts will be broken 8 months early.

If unlocking and rooting is a concern wait at least a month after it is out to see if its possible. The way things are going I wouldnt buy a phone at the release date anymore. Every year the phones get locked down tighter and tighter. Read the s4 forums on any site to see all the people complaining about being locked. Wait a month. See if root and unlock is achieved or any progress is being made. See if any roms are released. If there is activity, then buy it.

I also dont think the note 3 is that great of a phone. Note 2 is onky slightly less spec wise and "should" be getting a software update in the next few months. Im waiting for the note 4.

Flyboy1100

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
If unlocking and rooting is a concern wait at least a month after it is out to see if its possible. The way things are going I wouldnt buy a phone at the release date anymore. Every year the phones get locked down tighter and tighter. Read the s4 forums on any site to see all the people complaining about being locked. Wait a month. See if root and unlock is achieved or any progress is being made. See if any roms are released. If there is activity, then buy it.

I also dont think the note 3 is that great of a phone. Note 2 is onky slightly less spec wise and "should" be getting a software update in the next few months. Im waiting for the note 4.

The note 2 is very tempting, and it seems plenty powerful. My s3 handles everything I throw at it just fine, and the note2 has more horsepower.

Might just end up going that way.

Michigan66

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
The note 2 is very tempting, and it seems plenty powerful. My s3 handles everything I throw at it just fine, and the note2 has more horsepower.

Might just end up going that way.

Its really a great phone. I get 6.5 - 7 hours screen time. Great screen. I do wish it was just a little smaller. I could never go with anything bigger than this. Development is pretty solid. I think its a great choice. Thats me though.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Its really a great phone. I get 6.5 - 7 hours screen time. Great screen. I do wish it was just a little smaller. I could never go with anything bigger than this. Development is pretty solid. I think its a great choice. Thats me though.

I agree. The Note 2 is by far my favorite of all the phones I've owned.
The hardware specs of the Note 3 are paper improvements only in my opinion, but the software enhancements look very nice.
The new multi window and scrapbook are very nice additions. The pen window looks like pie to me, I already have that.

Flyboy1100

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm going to order the note 2 next weekend along with a moto x for the wife. I really like the moto x myself, but again really locked down :(

This way I will have a few weeks to try out vzw service (know what I'm getting into as I will have to switch to a different carrier anyway).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa