Google+ killing my battery

fcjr77

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
For the past few weeks I have noticed that my battery has been draining very fast. So finally this week I paid attention and starting looking at my battery in settings and noticed that Google+ is at top of the list. I installed Battery Stats Plus and Better Battery Stats to see if it really was Google+. They both came back with Google+ being the culprit. It seems that it is the top reason for my wake locks and allowing my phone to deep sleep therefore the battery drain. It has also been causing my phone to run hot, since I am guessing that keeping the phone awake would cause that. Any thoughts on why it would be doing this? Was there an update that I did that is causing this? I used to be able to run my phone at least 24 hours no problem, but am down to 14 or so since this issue. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
For the past few weeks I have noticed that my battery has been draining very fast. So finally this week I paid attention and starting looking at my battery in settings and noticed that Google+ is at top of the list. I installed Battery Stats Plus and Better Battery Stats to see if it really was Google+. They both came back with Google+ being the culprit. It seems that it is the top reason for my wake locks and allowing my phone to deep sleep therefore the battery drain. It has also been causing my phone to run hot, since I am guessing that keeping the phone awake would cause that. Any thoughts on why it would be doing this? Was there an update that I did that is causing this? I used to be able to run my phone at least 24 hours no problem, but am down to 14 or so since this issue. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Check through the Google+ settings and make sure the sync/background updates are not polling when its not necessary. Also, if you are not using Google+, consider disabling the sync on it through system setting > accounts > Google > Google+. Since you have it installed, I'm assuming its a used app. But you probably don't need the alerts/updates running in the background if its causing this much battery drain.

fcjr77

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I looked through the settings but can't find anything regarding sync/background updates on the app itself. I do use it but primarily on my tablet. So I had thought about deleting it from my phone, but was worried that if I did, will it still backup my photos as I do like that feature. So if I can delete the app but keep my photo backup then I will just delete. I attached a picture of the usage from Battery Stats Plus. Screenshot_2013-09-19-13-26-41.png