| || |
Modifying aluminum case to improve signal
I bought a Zomgo-brand aluminum case from eBay (in "Sapphire" color), and found that it interfered with my cell signal. I decided to modify it by drilling holes through the case, and after getting the following image from these forums, I knew where to drill them. The mod actually worked, although the end result is not too pretty.
Here's the diagram of the antenna locations:
Here's what the back of the case looked like before the mods (quite good looking, I think):
...but here's the signal with the case on:
...versus with no case at all:
Here's what it looks like with holes drilled and filed down (very ugly):
...and the signal strength after the mod:
In reality, the signal now fluctuates between 40 and 50%, which is a good improvement over the best percentage I could get before the mod. It looks pretty bad, but I figure I can just find some cool stickers to go over the blemishes, and the case will look pretty good again. I really like the feel of the case and its slim profile, plus I spent $25 on it that I didn't want to waste. So I'm pleased overall. Also, you might have noticed from the diagram that I did not cut out around the second CDMA antenna, and that's because I figured I would be on 4G anyway, and the extra holes might not be necessary.