Taking the VZW Note2 to Europe

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I am taking my Stock VZW Note 2 to Germany in a few weeks. I know the phone will accept a MicroSim from a different carrier. I am thinking I will maybe use ALDI as my provider since they are easy to get and seem to have good coverage? Is there any other settings I will need to do to make Data work? Any Suggestions?

Teathering, In the US I have just used the VZW app since I am on shared data and it works fine. I know it checks in with VZW before activating each time. I am assumuing this won't work on a foreign carrier. Any suggestions on what to use instead?

Any other tips or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
You may need to check with the German provider for the apk settings (some will install automatically, some may not), and they'll need to give you specific activation instructions (which will vary by carrier). I have no information on tethering, but I see no fundamental reason why you wouldn't be able to.

I had no problems charging my Note2 in Serbia, Austria or Czech Republic (had a simple converter for the plug).

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Also what about charging? Last time I was in Germany I had trouble charging my phone. Any suggestions?

The Stock Samsung Charger is 100-240V so you can easily just use a simple and cheap plug adapter and use the stock charger.

You may need to check with the German provider for the apk settings (some will install automatically, some may not), and they'll need to give you specific activation instructions (which will vary by carrier). I have no information on tethering, but I see no fundamental reason why you wouldn't be able to.

I had no problems charging my Note2 in Serbia, Austria or Czech Republic (had a simple converter for the plug).

So the VRAM3C update unlocked the APN settings so you no longer needed to do this mod? http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...691-mod-add-apn-editor-system-settings-2.html

prubin

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I will only be in Germany for a short time and don't want to get a new sim card. What is the easiest wifi phone based app for calling a dumb mobile phone in the U.S.?

MaxBuck

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I will only be in Germany for a short time and don't want to get a new sim card. What is the easiest wifi phone based app for calling a dumb mobile phone in the U.S.?
Skype is fine, but it won't work if you need to enter a non-standard keystroke (including # and *) such as to check voicemail on your home phone.

BTW, a SIM card in Germany is likely to cost you 10 euros or less (including talk and data allowances) and should be easy to install. Even if you're only there a few days, it shouldn't be cost-prohibitive. But if you want to stick with wifi that should be easy to access also.

ALCingularUser

May 17, 2011
Visit site

If you have a Google Voice number, try GrooVe IP. There are free and paid versions, with the difference being that the paid version works on both wi-fi and cell networks, while the free version is limited to wi-fi. Another option is the Vonage Mobile app, which lets you call U.S. and Canadian numbers for free.

My experience has been that GrooVe IP has better sound quality, but Vonage Mobile works better in situations where you're on a slower network connection. For that reason, I keep them both installed.

Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App

Liquidretro

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
If you have a Google Voice number, try GrooVe IP. There are free and paid versions, with the difference being that the paid version works on both wi-fi and cell networks, while the free version is limited to wi-fi. Another option is the Vonage Mobile app, which lets you call U.S. and Canadian numbers for free.

My experience has been that GrooVe IP has better sound quality, but Vonage Mobile works better in situations where you're on a slower network connection. For that reason, I keep them both installed.

Hope this helps.

Posted via Android Central App

This is a good option, thanks for the heads up.