Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon Note 2 not on Verizon network can never be OTA updated?

I have a Verizon Note 2. Since day 2 of owning the phone, I have been using it with my AT&T SIM card for voice/text and 3G data.

During the last two OTA updates, my Verizon Note 2 would NOT update because it had to be on Verizon network. My solution was to borrow a Verizon 4G LTE SIM card from a co-worker for a day and the update would install just fine.(sometimes takes 2 days)

Is this normal? I'm not sure what I'm gonna do when Verizon pushes out 4.3 OTA update. Nobody I know currently uses Verizon. In my company, there are 152 employees and all have switched to AT&T as of last month. (thanks to AT&T offering my company a sweet corporate deal) I wonder if I can take it to a Verizon store and borrow their SIM card or update the phone?

Global Posts
    6,439 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Default Re: Verizon Note 2 not on Verizon network can never be OTA updated?

I think Verizon will be willing to update your phone but you really don't have any friends or family near you on Verizon? That's telling.
    Live long and prosper.

3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    I think Verizon will be willing to update your phone but you really don't have any friends or family near you on Verizon? That's telling.
    I know all 150+ employees in my company now have AT&T. On my phone's contact list, I have 38 family members. 31 have AT&T or T-Mobile. 5 have US Cellular. 2 have Verizon, but those two live in Portland, which is 2000 miles away from me. The last category are friends and drinking buddies(can't disclose how many, of course, for legal reasons...) AFAIK, none of them has Verizon.

When I bought the Verizon Galaxy Note 2, I had Verizon, of course. However, I cancelled it a month later because my company paid the ETF for me to switch to AT&T.(again, due to the corporate deal that they signed with AT&T)

Have you tried updating via kies on a PC? Can download kies from Samsung its an official app.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    1,563 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB

CDMA Primary phones don't update with KIES for which Verizons version is a Primary CDMA phone.
    7cf26b0d

Quote Originally Posted by HybridCat View Post
    I know all 150+ employees in my company now have AT&T. On my phone's contact list, I have 38 family members. 31 have AT&T or T-Mobile. 5 have US Cellular. 2 have Verizon, but those two live in Portland, which is 2000 miles away from me. The last category are friends and drinking buddies(can't disclose how many, of course, for legal reasons...) AFAIK, none of them has Verizon.

When I bought the Verizon Galaxy Note 2, I had Verizon, of course. However, I cancelled it a month later because my company paid the ETF for me to switch to AT&T.(again, due to the corporate deal that they signed with AT&T)
    If they don't do it, open a share everything plan base at $80 per month, update, then immediately cancel service. You would be out one days service which should be around $3-4.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    If they don't do it, open a share everything plan base at $80 per month, update, then immediately cancel service. You would be out one days service which should be around $3-4.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk 4
    plus a etf correct?

Quote Originally Posted by madisonjar View Post
    plus a etf correct?
    No, you only pay etf if you get subsidized phone on contract. They may charge an activation fee, but that could be refunded if deactivated within 3 days

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro