How Long Can I Hold Off From TakingThe Update?

ncridgerunner

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
My Note2 runs very well. Having come from the Bionic which never ran well and updates that tested the limits of my patience, I'm hesitant about getting an update for a phone that runs better than any of the previous phones I have ever had. I know at sometime the update will be forced upon the phone but it would be nice to postpone as long as possible.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
There are no native settings to control OTA updates. Typically when there's an update available you'll get a notice and have the option to accept, defer, or reject. Deferring or rejecting will only delay the update for a certain time period. If you don't happen to catch the next prompt to defer or reject again, it will automatically try to download and install the update. The only way to fully stop this and give you some level of control requires that you root your phone and disable the OTA updater. See this thread on the specifics: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...oting-roms-hacks/246010-stop-ota-updates.html

Frankly, IMO this is one area Android really needs to mature in and provide us more control without requiring root. Example: like in Microsoft Windows where you have the option to set OS software updates to: Automatic, Notify only, or Disable (manually install them if and when you want).

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
My Note2 runs very well. Having come from the Bionic which never ran well and updates that tested the limits of my patience, I'm hesitant about getting an update for a phone that runs better than any of the previous phones I have ever had. I know at sometime the update will be forced upon the phone but it would be nice to postpone as long as possible.

Same here. I came from a Droid X2 that was just ok. Now that I have my Note 2 (working perfectly for over 9 months) and BY FAR the best phone I've EVER had, I don't want to screw it up with an update, either. I'm not going to root my phone, so I guess I will have to make sure the update doesn't download and install.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Biggest issues I have with 4.3, although its on the Note 3, is battery drain and WiFi issues. Not sure if the WiFi part is associated with 4.3 or not but the battery drain is. It does not matter what OEM you have either as far as that goes. I had the Note 2 prior and would easily get 6-7 hours of on screen time with max brightness no problem. With the Note 3 on 3/4 brightness I get maybe if I am lucky 4 hours.

ncridgerunner

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I rooted one phone but it was of no real advantage to me with the way I use my device. Don't really want to take any risks with my Note 2 because the frustration of bad data connections and bad voice service is such a headache.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I rooted one phone but it was of no real advantage to me with the way I use my device. Don't really want to take any risks with my Note 2 because the frustration of bad data connections and bad voice service is such a headache.

I've been using CleanROM for some time. In my view this is essentially a super solid stock ROM with the carrier provided annoyances removed. The most current build is 3.5. 3.5 is based off of the stock 4.1.2 OTA. Data connections and voice service have been rock solid for me. If I remember correctly, 3.5 ROM image also contains the matching radio firmware.

Unfortunately, Scottsroms has retired the Note 2 development. Even so, everything you'll need is here Verizon - CleanROM 3.5V - Downloads - Scott's ROMS Some good info is here Galaxy Note II (AT&T / Verizon / Rogers / T-Mo)
Just download and save the relevant radio, ROM, and anything else you used to flash.

The above may be an option to consider if you don't want the OTA. There are other good ROMs out there, so if interested can point out a few more.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but I'm a little confused by the above statement about disabling the OTA updater. I just rooted and unlocked my phone last week and I thought that if you're rooted you will not get OTA updates? Is there something more I have to do once rooted to not get the update?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but I'm a little confused by the above statement about disabling the OTA updater. I just rooted and unlocked my phone last week and I thought that if you're rooted you will not get OTA updates? Is there something more I have to do once rooted to not get the update?

Rooting alone does not disable the OTA updater. It's still enabled and may check for updates yet creating the scenario I listed in my original post above. To truly disable it, you have do the following as referenced in the "http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...oting-roms-hacks/246010-stop-ota-updates.html" thread:

Via ES File Explorer, rename the following two files under /system/app (then reboot phone):

FWupgrade.apk to FWupgrade.bak
SDM.apk to SDM.bak

Note: In ES File Explorer, be sure to set up its "Root settings" first so you can see the Android system directories. To do that, while in ES File Explorer, hit the phone's menu key, then tap "Settings", scroll down to "Root settings" and check "Root Explorer", "Up to Root", and "Mount File System" options. Now, when you first launch ES File Explorer, just hit the phone's back key once to take you into the system directories, then navigate to /system/app. Also you may wish to make a copy of each file to your SD card before renaming them just for backup/safety purposes. :)

Last edited:

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Synycalwon, thanks for the explanation. I'm able to get to the point of finding the files and copying them to the sd Card for backups, but I get lost after I turn on Root Explorer. I tried to change the .apk of both the files and rename them to .bak, but I can't rename them. I reboot and still can't change the file extensions. In your explanation of check Root explorer, I find it and turn it on, but after that I can't find the "up to root" and "mount File System" options. I have a newer version of ES File explorer and nothing like that comes up. I'll post a screenshot of what I have once I press on Root Explorer.
es1.jpg Screenshot_2013-12-03-16-09-16.png

Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can't seem to rename the file extensions. I appreciate the help.
Edit: I did just try hitting the menu button like you said above, I get to settings, but nothing about Root Explorer. There is an Update Settings section and has the Auto Check function box ticked. I'm wondering if I just untick that if it would stop the update? I'll post a couple of screen shots again.
Screenshot_2013-12-03-16-23-53.png Screenshot_2013-12-03-16-21-13.png Screenshot_2013-12-03-16-21-21.png

Last edited:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Oops, yup I'm using an older version of ES File Explorer yet (1.6.2.5). Sounds like they changed it. But if you can find/see the files already, if you long press on the file name do you get a "Rename" option? If so, what happens when you try to rename the file?

Edit: looking at your screen shot, try to enable "Mount R/W" (mount file system read/write). Without write ability, can't rename them.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, that did it. One last question. When I read the thread that you referred to above, they say to rename the Keychain.apk. Do I have to do that one also?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, that did it. One last question. When I read the thread that you referred to above, they say to rename the Keychain.apk. Do I have to do that one also?

You don't have to, I didn't. Renaming just the two (FWupgrade.apk and SDM.apk) will stop the OTA updater from working. :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams