Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree18Likes
  • 2 Post By DaManx22
  • 1 Post By DaManx22
  • 1 Post By DaManx22
  • 3 Post By Synycalwon
  • 1 Post By N2myN2
  • 1 Post By Synycalwon
  • 1 Post By DaManx22
  • 3 Post By 1812dave
  • 2 Post By badkitties
  • 1 Post By n8ter#AC
  • 2 Post By 1812dave
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    I don't understand you people freaking out about this update that is allegedly coming. No one promised you anything when you bought this [B]phone, they don't owe you a thing so the threats of going to another carrier over it are a little ridiculous.We all bought this phone because we liked it and personally I love mine more than ever just the way it is. I've seen nothing in the reports about this alleged update that I can't live without and it's been my experience that updates are never bug proof and most times they do more harm than good. Samsung/Verizon PLEASE KEEP YOUR UPDATES OFF MY PHONE!!....everyone else please calm down and stop acting like spoiled immature children.

    peace,
    DaMan
    Thanked by 3:
    808TBolt and stevenkisor1 like this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaManx22 View Post
    I don't understand you people freaking out about this update that is allegedly coming. No one promised you anything when you bought this [B]phone, they don't owe you a thing so the threats of going to another carrier over it are a little ridiculous.We all bought this phone because we liked it and personally I love mine more than ever just the way it is. I've seen nothing in the reports about this alleged update that I can't live without and it's been my experience that updates are never bug proof and most times they do more harm than good. Samsung/Verizon PLEASE KEEP YOUR UPDATES OFF MY PHONE!!....everyone else please calm down and stop acting like spoiled immature children.

    I think you're being a little bit ridiculous about all of this, accusing the people on this forum about being 'immature, etc...' What you are doing essentially is 'whining about people whining'. Get over it

    Secondly, we were promised to get a certain update, so forgive us for anticipating and being excited

    peace,
    DaMan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    when you bought this phone you were not promised anything and that is my point....if you don't like verizon becaue of this alleged delay( a date has never been announced) then leave, they won't miss you.


    peace,
    DaMan
    slik6996 likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    and please learn how to "reply with quote"
    Synycalwon likes this.
  5. #5  
    byrds8's Avatar

    Posts
    515 Posts
    Global Posts
    516 Global Posts

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    If memory serves most carriers and OEMs said they would support devices for at least 18 months.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaManx22 View Post
    I don't understand you people freaking out about this update that is allegedly coming. No one promised you anything when you bought this [B]phone, they don't owe you a thing so the threats of going to another carrier over it are a little ridiculous.We all bought this phone because we liked it and personally I love mine more than ever just the way it is. I've seen nothing in the reports about this alleged update that I can't live without and it's been my experience that updates are never bug proof and most times they do more harm than good. Samsung/Verizon PLEASE KEEP YOUR UPDATES OFF MY PHONE!!....everyone else please calm down and stop acting like spoiled immature children.

    peace,
    DaMan
    It's called "Update anxiety". This AC article explains it all quite well IMO (excerpt below, bolded part by me! Highly recommend reading the entire article though! Very good info on the Android update process.): Why you'll never have the latest version of Android | Android Central

    Excerpt:
    "As updates become more common, and consumers become more tech-savvy, there’s an increasing awareness that devices can be updated, and an expectation that they should be updated. With that comes a sort of “update anxiety.” If you’ve dropped by any smartphone message board, such as our own forums or XDA’s, you’ll know what we mean by this. Threads abound asking when ICS, or Jelly Bean, will be available for certain devices. In the event of delayed or even canceled updates, Internet denizens swear they’ll never buy another phone from that manufacturer or carrier again. It’s an entirely negative ownership experience.

    While this isn’t representative of the entire user base -- not by far -- it’s an example of how many power users experience Android smartphones. They’re always behind the curve, always waiting on an update, never fully enjoying the product that they’ve bought as they’ve bought it. Part of that is the fault of the tech press -- we’re always focused on what’s new, and that means talking about software that hasn’t yet reached most folks."

    Edit: adding an excerpt about the "Solution":

    "The only true solution to the Android update problem is a change in mindset, or if that doesn’t work, a change of handset. Android will never be able to offer across-the-board updates like Apple does -- it’s technically impossible for the wide variety of reasons we’ve already covered.

    Android phone owners, community members and fans need to appreciate that updates are hard to develop, and take time and money to put out, and when carriers get involved, they can be subject to long, tedious delays. That’s not the case with iOS and Windows Phone, but they’re very different operating systems. Painful as it may be to admit, waiting for updates will be part of the Android experience for many years to come.

    But if Android is the problem, then perhaps Android can also be the solution, at least for technically adventurous users. Android’s openness enables it to run on multiple hardware platforms, but Google’s OS is also eminently hacker-friendly. Many leading devices have a vibrant custom ROM scene, where custom-built firmwares are available, often based on later versions of Android than are officially available for those phones. That means if you really, really care about running the latest version of the OS, you can crack open your bootloader and do so, at the cost of stability (and perhaps your warranty)."
    Thanked by 2:
    Dog5000, GeekNews and DaManx22 like this.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    ^^^Bravo! Well said.
    Do you mean to tell me that I can make a phone call on this thing?!!!
    Synycalwon likes this.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    .......That means if you really, really care about running the latest version of the OS, you can crack open your bootloader and do so, at the cost of stability (and perhaps your warranty)."
    I thought the article truly spoke to the heart of this never ending debate. Especially this final part which I feel places the root cause of this phenomenon of "Update Anxiety" clearly on the shoulders of the user.

    It has been my observation that the vast majority of users who are complaining about poor performance and problems related to OS updates are those who have consistently rooted and side loaded custom Roms and OS variations. You've created your own crisis.

    OS updates are designed to improve and enhance the stock OS experience. There is absolutely no way designers and programmers can possibly design an update or series of updates that will work on all the custom Roms and variants out there. As the quote above implies. You tinker at your own risk and when something goes wrong or a new update has a negative effect on your device it's your own darned fault so deal with it.

    I've never rooted or side loaded anything and have no desire to do so. When the 4.4 update came out for the Nexus 7 devices I read about how many who updated were having issues. I then read of how many had rooted their devices. Then it made sense. I've not experienced these issues probably because I didn't modify my OS. The 4.4 update has been pretty nice in my experience and any bugs will be addressed with future updates.

    The bottom line is you root at your own risk. If you don't like what happens with an OS update after you have loaded a custom ROM don't blame Google or the update take your complaint to the designer of the ROM or more appropriately, blame yourself for modifying your device and voiding your warranty.

    Better yet, don't do it in the first place.
    Last edited by nelschroeder; 12-07-2013 at 08:26 AM.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Quote Originally Posted by nelschroeder View Post
    I thought the article truly spoke to the heart of this never ending debate. Especially this final part which I feel places the root cause of this phenomenon of "Update Anxiety" clearly on the shoulders of the user.

    It has been my observation that the vast majority of users who are complaining about poor performance and problems related to OS updates are those who have consistently rooted and side loaded custom Roms and OS variations. You've created your own crisis.

    OS updates are designed to improve and enhance the stock OS experience. There is absolutely no way designers and programmers can possibly design an update or series of updates that will work on all the custom Roms and variants out there. As the quote above implies. You tinker at your own risk and when something goes wrong or a new update has a negative effect on your device it's your own darned fault so deal with it.

    I've never rooted or side loaded anything and have no desire to do so. When the 4.4 update came out for the Nexus 7 devices I read about how many who updated were having issues. I then read of how many had rooted their devices. Then it made sense. I've not experienced these issues probably because I didn't modify my OS. The 4.4 update has been pretty nice in my experience and any bugs will be addressed with future updates.

    The bottom line is you root at your own risk. If you don't like what happens with an OS update after you have loaded a custom ROM don't blame Google or the update take your complaint to the designer of the ROM or more appropriately, blame yourself for modifying your device and voiding your warranty.

    Better yet, don't do it in the first place.
    I agree that rooting should not be taken lightly, but I disagree that it's the heart of the debate. The article is about much more than just that. Rooting (and/or using custom ROMs) is a separate issue all together and is not the main reason for any issues that may occur with updates (even non-rooted stock systems experience issues with updates). I do think some users who root get into trouble because they don't fully understand what it entails and end up trying to install a stock OTA update. Sometimes that will work without issue as long as the system hasn't been modified much beyond just obtaining root access. In that case the worst that may happen is to lose root access by taking the update. But more often than not, the system has been modified too much to where the update can't fully install and leaves the device in limbo, possibly no longer able to boot up. Thus why if you're rooted, it's recommended to forgo anymore stock OS updates (best to actually disable the OTA updater to ensure the device never tries).
    Dog5000 likes this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    It's called "Update anxiety". This AC article explains it all quite well IMO (excerpt below, bolded part by me! Highly recommend reading the entire article though! Very good info on the Android update process.): Why you'll never have the latest version of Android | Android Central

    Excerpt:
    "As updates become more common, and consumers become more tech-savvy, there’s an increasing awareness that devices can be updated, and an expectation that they should be updated. With that comes a sort of “update anxiety.” If you’ve dropped by any smartphone message board, such as our own forums or XDA’s, you’ll know what we mean by this. Threads abound asking when ICS, or Jelly Bean, will be available for certain devices. In the event of delayed or even canceled updates, Internet denizens swear they’ll never buy another phone from that manufacturer or carrier again. It’s an entirely negative ownership experience.

    While this isn’t representative of the entire user base -- not by far -- it’s an example of how many power users experience Android smartphones. They’re always behind the curve, always waiting on an update, never fully enjoying the product that they’ve bought as they’ve bought it. Part of that is the fault of the tech press -- we’re always focused on what’s new, and that means talking about software that hasn’t yet reached most folks."

    Edit: adding an excerpt about the "Solution":

    "The only true solution to the Android update problem is a change in mindset, or if that doesn’t work, a change of handset. Android will never be able to offer across-the-board updates like Apple does -- it’s technically impossible for the wide variety of reasons we’ve already covered.

    Android phone owners, community members and fans need to appreciate that updates are hard to develop, and take time and money to put out, and when carriers get involved, they can be subject to long, tedious delays. That’s not the case with iOS and Windows Phone, but they’re very different operating systems. Painful as it may be to admit, waiting for updates will be part of the Android experience for many years to come.

    But if Android is the problem, then perhaps Android can also be the solution, at least for technically adventurous users. Android’s openness enables it to run on multiple hardware platforms, but Google’s OS is also eminently hacker-friendly. Many leading devices have a vibrant custom ROM scene, where custom-built firmwares are available, often based on later versions of Android than are officially available for those phones. That means if you really, really care about running the latest version of the OS, you can crack open your bootloader and do so, at the cost of stability (and perhaps your warranty)."
    excellent article!
    Synycalwon likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Quote Originally Posted by nelschroeder View Post
    It has been my observation that the vast majority of users who are complaining about poor performance and problems related to OS updates are those who have consistently rooted and side loaded custom Roms and OS variations. You've created your own crisis.
    .

    If you're referring to me I'm not rooted but I did own a Thunderbolt.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaManx22 View Post
    If you're referring to me I'm not rooted but I did own a Thunderbolt.
    Me too. Promises, promises...
    I got rid of the TBolt before I got ICS.
    Rob
    Do you mean to tell me that I can make a phone call on this thing?!!!
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    I don't want any update for my note 2. It's fine as is and I don't want to introduce issues nor do i want the interface to change
    Samsung Note 2
    Thanked by 3:
    Synycalwon, Dog5000 and DaManx22 like this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    I don't want any update for my note 2. It's fine as is and I don't want to introduce issues nor do i want the interface to change
    Yes... I agree. The Note 2 is one of those rare smartphones that work fine as-is.

    On the other hand, I don't mind all those "freaked out people" to try the new update for a month or two before I let it install on my phone. Don't want to be a guinea pig.
    1812dave and DaManx22 like this.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Someone on xda says he installed the Verizon 4.3 OTA update on his son's Note 2 today.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Quote Originally Posted by pool_shark View Post
    Someone on xda says he installed the Verizon 4.3 OTA update on his son's Note 2 today.
    I've been fooled before, but it looks legit.

    Do you mean to tell me that I can make a phone call on this thing?!!!
  17. #17  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar

    Posts
    909 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,241 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    But if Android is the problem, then perhaps Android can also be the solution, at least for technically adventurous users. Android’s openness enables it to run on multiple hardware platforms, but Google’s OS is also eminently hacker-friendly. Many leading devices have a vibrant custom ROM scene, where custom-built firmwares are available, often based on later versions of Android than are officially available for those phones. That means if you really, really care about running the latest version of the OS, you can crack open your bootloader and do so, at the cost of stability (and perhaps your warranty)."
    I think people are using the term solution when they really should be using the term work-around. However, solution sounds a bit less damning so I can almost understand why they'd make that substitution.

    Many people don't care about being on the latest version of the OS. They just care about being supported, and that goes well beyond major FW updates. I think most of us who use Android understand that the platform is just not at the level of iOS and Windows Phone when it comes to keeping users on the latest OS revision.

    However, we do expect things like Security Patches and Bug Fixes to make it to the phones in timely fashion. When a phone has camera or radio issues users don't want to have to wait a year for a major FW update so they can stop dropping calls/data when they go in their house or improve image quality of the camera - they don't want to even wait 4 months for some maintenance update - they want the fix ASAP and that's not unreasonable given the issues that routinely plague smartphones (of all types, running all major OSes). They want those issues to be fixed in a timely manner so they can enjoy using their device. The issue is, they aren't delivering.

    That, to me, is the biggest issue with the Android platform's general update turn-around issue. It has some of the worst update turn-around for issues on the devices that run it, period. I think the only OS that is approaching Android's badness in this area is Blackberry 10 (mostly because Carriers neglect it, though, not because BB hasn't developed the patches and already put them on unlocked devices and devices on other carriers).
    Dog5000 likes this.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    I think people are using the term solution when they really should be using the term work-around. However, solution sounds a bit less damning so I can almost understand why they'd make that substitution.

    Many people don't care about being on the latest version of the OS. They just care about being supported, and that goes well beyond major FW updates. I think most of us who use Android understand that the platform is just not at the level of iOS and Windows Phone when it comes to keeping users on the latest OS revision.

    However, we do expect things like Security Patches and Bug Fixes to make it to the phones in timely fashion. When a phone has camera or radio issues users don't want to have to wait a year for a major FW update so they can stop dropping calls/data when they go in their house or improve image quality of the camera - they don't want to even wait 4 months for some maintenance update - they want the fix ASAP and that's not unreasonable given the issues that routinely plague smartphones (of all types, running all major OSes). They want those issues to be fixed in a timely manner so they can enjoy using their device. The issue is, they aren't delivering.

    That, to me, is the biggest issue with the Android platform's general update turn-around issue. It has some of the worst update turn-around for issues on the devices that run it, period. I think the only OS that is approaching Android's badness in this area is Blackberry 10 (mostly because Carriers neglect it, though, not because BB hasn't developed the patches and already put them on unlocked devices and devices on other carriers).
    You neglected to mention that users also don't want to wait endlessly for an update to an update, to fix issues introduced by...drumroll please...a recent update.

    The reason I bought a Note 2 when I did was because my Bionic was ruined by an update--the headphone's output got back an infernal (yes, "infernal") whine when an update came out some time in 2012. Prior to that, I enjoyed many months of whine-less headphone output. AAMOF, there were two versions of updates that had the whine--the original shipping version, and then the one about 3 updates later. Verizon agreed to give me a different phone, but the one they sent me had some issues (I forgot exactly) so I returned it, gave up with getting satisfaction on the issue from Verizon, and spent $750 for a Note 2. I am NOT thrilled to be FORCED to accept updates on MY products.
    Samsung Note 2
    Synycalwon and DaManx22 like this.
  19. #19  
    n8ter#AC's Avatar

    Posts
    909 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,241 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Pretty sure my post covered that... Issues introduced by a FW update are still issues, and users want fixes ASAP.

    Stop buying Android handsets. That's the only way to get the point across.

    When Android loses 20% maket share and market research shows users are going elsewhere because they get faster update turn-around and better long-term support, then and only then will the OEMs and carriers stop bending us over and laughing on their way to the bank.

    I personally do not ever see that happening, because smartphone platform fans are more religious than F/OSS zealots and they will continue to pwn themselves and give those entities a false sense of security that what they're doing is A.O.K. even when it's a complete scam.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Pretty sure my post covered that... Issues introduced by a FW update are still issues, and users want fixes ASAP.

    Stop buying Android handsets. That's the only way to get the point across.

    When Android loses 20% maket share and market research shows users are going elsewhere because they get faster update turn-around and better long-term support, then and only then will the OEMs and carriers stop bending us over and laughing on their way to the bank.

    I personally do not ever see that happening, because smartphone platform fans are more religious than F/OSS zealots and they will continue to pwn themselves and give those entities a false sense of security that what they're doing is A.O.K. even when it's a complete scam.
    I don't foresee buying anything but Android handsets in the near future. I despise iOS (have it on several Touches), not keen on Windows phones, and am mostly very happy with Android, when it is done right. My current use of Android devices isn't because of a "religious devotion" to the platform; I'd switch if something better came along, but any new platform would come without apps-in-big numbers, so that would mean I'd have to wait years for the developers to churn out enough apps to satisfy my needs. I got in on Android about 2 years ago, when app selection and quality was reasonably adequate.
    Samsung Note 2
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaManx22 View Post
    and please learn how to "reply with quote"
    LOL!
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 or my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet 10.1
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

    Default Re: Why's everyone freaking out over the coming alleged update?

    ^^

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Similar Threads

  1. Vzw G2 update near.
    By alcor34 in forum Verizon LG G2
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 10:29 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-10-2013, 09:20 AM
  3. Strange Problem Updating?
    By luke31 in forum Verizon Droid DNA
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-2013, 10:33 PM
  4. How to stop GS4 from updating to 4.3
    By m rains in forum AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 11:19 PM
  5. Auto screen rotate stopped working on HTC one X with latest andriod update
    By looland in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-06-2013, 10:20 PM

Posting Permissions

B