after 4.3 update, all hotspot apps stopped working? I thought Verizon wasn't allowed to do this?

Leo Ruiz1

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
after 4.3 update, all hotspot apps stopped working? I thought Verizon wasn't allowed to do this?

I'm referring to the apps in the Play Store that let people use hotspot without paying extra fees to Verizon Wireless.

I got Foxfi to work on my phone with 4.3 update no root but you do have to pay for the app

MMsports

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I also have found that Foxfi will work free for about 2 min then wants 14.95 to continue which is cheaper than 25 a month from Verizon. Just hope that the other companies would hurry up and fix this since we know it is possible thanks to Foxfi.

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Have read that they added a work around with an update so it should work now, but they said they can't guarantee it will work with 4.4 if or whenever that comes out.

If it still doesn't work this is something I found that a couple people confirmed worked. I don't know if they have unlimited data or not though so do at your own risk:

Foxfi work with 4.3 again. Open up click on activate wifi hotspot. And follow the instructions. It is not a update through the play store. You just have to set up a lock screen pattern or password. It works on my S3 and my note 2

chuckr01

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I also have found that Foxfi will work free for about 2 min then wants 14.95 to continue which is cheaper than 25 a month from Verizon. Just hope that the other companies would hurry up and fix this since we know it is possible thanks to Foxfi.

I just paid 7.95 for the paid version from the Play Store, why was yours 14.95? I don't really use this often but it's nice to have the option when I need it. I have never hit the time limit but there may come a time when I'm traveling that I may want the unlimited use, and I have credits on the Play Store that I might never use otherwise, so what the heck. I have seen the warning that 4.4 may break it again, but they found a fix for 4.3 so I have hope for them to fix 4.4 before we get it, we're with Verizon, we have a long time to wait before we find out :)

Update, I had the free version working fine after the fix that required the certificate download. I opted for the paid version because of the complaints/warnings about the time limit, combined with the hope that paid customers may get better support if the next update breaks it again.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
Please read this if you are still considering 4.3 - there are many similar cases. Battery drains in less than 3 hours. Bluetooth will no longer connect to any of five devices, Camera flash fires when phone rings (directly at oncoming traffic as it's on an i-mount) and randomly at other times. WiFi is seriously shaky. I am extremely pissed. Verizon is blaming this on everyone else. Why can't they just go back to the version we had in December until they get the rest worked out? I only receive and place ~7 phone calls per week. Nearly ALL of my usage involves roughly 32 GB of data per month through Bluetooth. WTF? They have wrecked an $800 phone (paid full amount to keep unlimited data contract). I want a fix or my full money back. A hard reset is totally unacceptable.

coldbeer20

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know why foxfi won't work with the zte savvy? USB and Bluetooth tether work fine with it, but the WiFi won't. Kinda disappointing...

Sent from my Z750C using AC Forums mobile app

Monique Holmes

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have unlimited data. I go to Verizon to activate the hotspot and it's telling me the price of the package. Why do I have to pay when I have unlimited? Question is, what do I do to turn this on?

Posted via Android Central App

Arick

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Foxfi was down for 6 days with my phone back in December when I got 4.3, here lately every time I reboot I have to reauthorize my vpn settings in Foxfi but it still works great you should try that route and see if it works for you.

Sent from my GS3 using Tapatalk HD

coldbeer20

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Nope. My galaxy precedent with straight talk didn't have one either, but foxfi WiFi worked great with it. Any ideas?

Sent from my Z750C using AC Forums mobile app

Pytbull82

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Nope

I also have a question before updating to 4.3.
Right now, i have unlimited data and didn't subscribe for the mobile hotspot but I can still use the phone as a hotspot because I activated the hotspot via a third party widget, which I guess is a glitch.
So my question is, can i still do this via a third party widget or is the glitch fixed in 4.3? If it is then I'm definitely not updating.

pkdavis1101

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Broke droid maxx phone and had to use Assurion to replace it so it came with KitKat upgrade already done, does anyone know how to make foxfi work now?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Boo on Verizon for screwing us on unlimited data. I understand where they are coming from, but still think its a form of discrimination (and yes when I talked to them, I told them they are discriminating and its illegal).

Btw, my average data usage pet month is 21 Gigabytes a month. All I am doing is streaming music for 10 hours a day at work, 5 to 6 days a week.

No it isn't. Hotspot isn't a protected class like race, age, sexual orientation, etc. Outside of the protected classes, everyone is allowed to discriminate to their liking. For example, if someone is doing a good job at work, then their supervisor can give them a higher raise than other people. Perfectly legal.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My hotspot is free. Part of the plan

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Right, all of Verizon's current plans offer. Hotspot included in the package. This was part of the deal with the fcc. For those complaining about paying extra for hotspot, you can move to any current plan that includes hotspot at any time (even while on contract)

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC