Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default after 4.3 update, all hotspot apps stopped working? I thought Verizon wasn't allowed to do this?

after 4.3 update, all hotspot apps stopped working? I thought Verizon wasn't allowed to do this?

I'm referring to the apps in the Play Store that let people use hotspot without paying extra fees to Verizon Wireless.

Default Re: after 4.3 update, all hotspot apps stopped working? I thought Verizon wasn't allowed to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by badkitties View Post
    after 4.3 update, all hotspot apps stopped working? I thought Verizon wasn't allowed to do this?

I'm referring to the apps in the Play Store that let people use hotspot without paying extra fees to Verizon Wireless.
    They're still allowed to do it if you have unlimited. If you're on a limited plan you can do it but it counts against your data.

Default Re: after 4.3 update, all hotspot apps stopped working? I thought Verizon wasn't allowed to do this?

I also have a question before updating to 4.3.
    Right now, i have unlimited data and didn't subscribe for the mobile hotspot but I can still use the phone as a hotspot because I activated the hotspot via a third party widget, which I guess is a glitch.
    So my question is, can i still do this via a third party widget or is the glitch fixed in 4.3? If it is then I'm definitely not updating.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by cootiesboy View Post
    Right now, i have unlimited data and didn't subscribe for the mobile hotspot but I can still use the phone as a hotspot because I activated the hotspot via a third party widget, which I guess is a glitch.
    So my question is, can i still do this via a third party widget or is the glitch fixed in 4.3? If it is then I'm definitely not updating.
    Verizon probably fixed it.... I've tried all the hotspot apps after receiving the 4.3 update. None of them worked.

I couldn't get the Foxfi hotspot to work but I was able to Bluetooth tether. I had to download pdanet tablet to my tablet and follow the instructions.

Boo on Verizon for screwing us on unlimited data. I understand where they are coming from, but still think its a form of discrimination (and yes when I talked to them, I told them they are discriminating and its illegal).

Btw, my average data usage pet month is 21 Gigabytes a month. All I am doing is streaming music for 10 hours a day at work, 5 to 6 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by draxxis4454 View Post
    Boo on Verizon for screwing us on unlimited data. I understand where they are coming from, but still think its a form of discrimination (and yes when I talked to them, I told them they are discriminating and its illegal).

Btw, my average data usage pet month is 21 Gigabytes a month. All I am doing is streaming music for 10 hours a day at work, 5 to 6 days a week.
    Unless you are a lawyer ready to take them on, they won't care what you say about illegalities on their part.
    Samsung Note 2

So now what?

Is there hope that the 3rd party apps will be updated so it works with 4.3? How long could that take?

Obviously, I should have deferred the 4.3 OTA update until this was figured out, but it's too late now. I've never investigated rooting, but I'll give it a shot now. This isn't the right thread, but I'll ask anyway if there are any special issues with trying to root after taking the 4.3 OTA update. Anyone know?

don't update to 4.3 cause it will stop you from being able to use your hotspot app. You will be asked for verizon subscription. Hope the app developers will fix these for us.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by crmemt1 View Post
    don't update to 4.3 cause it will stop you from being able to use your hotspot app. You will be asked for verizon subscription. Hope the app developers will fix these for us.
    I' wonder if there's another hotspot tethering that will work after the 4.3 OTA update....

use bluetooth tethering... download the app in the play store called bt auto tethering and you will have internet on the device such as ipad or itouch and so on. i was bummed after the update and kept messing around . Thank God he showed me a solution and I felt I should share because I didn't see anyone with a solution...happy holidays
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by cootiesboy View Post
    scroll down and see what I posted on using bluetooth tethering to replace wifi tether app... I don't think they expected anyone to come across it. I've been using it on a couple of devices this weekend

Is bt tethering as fast as wifi tethering? Has anyone run speed test to compare?
    Samsung Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Waters View Post
    scroll down and see what I posted on using bluetooth tethering to replace wifi tether app... I don't think they expected anyone to come across it. I've been using it on a couple of devices this weekend
    As I posted above, I got bluetooth tethering to work with Foxfi/pdanet.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckr01 View Post
    I couldn't get the Foxfi hotspot to work but I was able to Bluetooth tether. I had to download pdanet tablet to my tablet and follow the instructions.
    the bluetooth tether works as stated above and also the usb tether for laptops works....it's like taking a step back in time and super irritating, but until there is a work around for the wifi i guess its what we have to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by karsdroid View Post
    the bluetooth tether works as stated above and also the usb tether for laptops works....it's like taking a step back in time and super irritating, but until there is a work around for the wifi i guess its what we have to work with.
    Unfortunately, I discovered today that while I can get to the browser with this, I can't get to my email or SSLVPN with Junos Pulse. They both want a wi-fi connection. Maybe I need to change a setting somewhere but I have no clue where. I guess I join the "dead in the water" crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckr01 View Post
    I tried this and it doesn't work for me.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by reverendjj#AC View Post
    I tried this and it doesn't work for me.

Posted via Android Central App
    PDANET is a great app and Bluetooth tether works with most if not all all Android handsets. However, Bluetooth is slower and not all apps access the Internet because they must be written to allow it. If you're tethering using BT on PDANET, try the Chrome browser. At least you'll be able to access social media using the browser.
    Thanked by:
    Arick 

I'm worried about this too. Please keep us updated on this topic.
    Is that a Samsung Note 2 in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Verizon has to allow all apps and accept any device, which they are doing to the letter. There is no restriction on them checking to see if you have a subscription. I am sure after they were fined by the fcc, that they are a lot more careful to make sure that they follow the requirements to the letter.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

I got Foxfi to work on my phone with 4.3 update no root but you do have to pay for the app

I also have found that Foxfi will work free for about 2 min then wants 14.95 to continue which is cheaper than 25 a month from Verizon. Just hope that the other companies would hurry up and fix this since we know it is possible thanks to Foxfi.

Have read that they added a work around with an update so it should work now, but they said they can't guarantee it will work with 4.4 if or whenever that comes out.

If it still doesn't work this is something I found that a couple people confirmed worked. I don't know if they have unlimited data or not though so do at your own risk:

Foxfi work with 4.3 again. Open up click on activate wifi hotspot. And follow the instructions. It is not a update through the play store. You just have to set up a lock screen pattern or password. It works on my S3 and my note 2

Quote Originally Posted by MMsports View Post
    I also have found that Foxfi will work free for about 2 min then wants 14.95 to continue which is cheaper than 25 a month from Verizon. Just hope that the other companies would hurry up and fix this since we know it is possible thanks to Foxfi.
    I just paid 7.95 for the paid version from the Play Store, why was yours 14.95? I don't really use this often but it's nice to have the option when I need it. I have never hit the time limit but there may come a time when I'm traveling that I may want the unlimited use, and I have credits on the Play Store that I might never use otherwise, so what the heck. I have seen the warning that 4.4 may break it again, but they found a fix for 4.3 so I have hope for them to fix 4.4 before we get it, we're with Verizon, we have a long time to wait before we find out

Update, I had the free version working fine after the fix that required the certificate download. I opted for the paid version because of the complaints/warnings about the time limit, combined with the hope that paid customers may get better support if the next update breaks it again.
    Last edited by chuckr01; 01-13-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: More info

My hotspot is free. Part of the plan

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast