Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock for now.

Default Foxfi on 4.3

I have found bits and pieces about this subject in other threads but I thought it would be good to have a specific thread for it.

I have unlimited data and I use Foxfi almost every day. If it isn't working on 4.3 that would be a deal breaker and I would either just stay on 4.1 or root and put a rom on it.

Has anyone with unlimited data been able to get Foxfi or a similar app working with the update?

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Default Re: Foxfi on 4.3

From what I am reading and I have a friend that was using a different third party app (not FoxFi) after the 4.3 update he is unable to use the Hotspot without notifying / subscribing to Verizon. Sad... We are both on unlimited plans...

folks who have Verizon Galaxy S4 said they could use FoxFix after Verizon pushed out 4.3. However, they said FoxFi asked "certificate" to be installed..... never found out what they meant by certificate.

ROM
    Stock

solves your foxfi issues. (especially if you're rooted)

I couldn't get the hotspot to work but I was able to Bluetooth tether. I had to download pdanet tablet to my tablet and follow the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid_Evo_8 View Post
    where in that link does it talk about FoxFi? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Droid_Evo_8 View Post
    I think you mean ONLY if rooted
    Samsung Note 2

Over at XDA forum there is a thread for the OTA leak that came out a couple weeks ago. Bean deodexed and odexed it. Somewhere in the thread there's a fix for wifi tether.
    Unfortunately anyone that received the OTA from VZW, whether rooted or not, the wifi tether was locked. So until Foxfi figures out a work around update wifi tether doesn't work without root or subscription.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    I think you mean ONLY if rooted
    And loving it. LOL

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by badkitties View Post
    where in that link does it talk about FoxFi? Thanks!
    When you're rooted, it lets you use the built-in tether without limitations. ie, calling verizon to activate mobile tether blah blah blah. You know, those kinds of things Verizon is known for. LOL

And so we wait!

This seems to be the only way right now huh....

I really wish I'd researched this before updating. This f'ing kills me.

i can still use foxfi to usb tether to laptop and bluetooth tether to tablets.....its a step back in time and functionality but it does work until there is a work around.

After reading all the posts, I'm still trying to figure this out. For now, I've postponed the update for another 5 days which is the maximum time.

Will FoxFi work after this new update ??? I have a stock un-rooted Verizon Note 2 with unlimited data.

Thanks, Casey
    Is that a Samsung Note 2 in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Cheung View Post
    After reading all the posts, I'm still trying to figure this out. For now, I've postponed the update for another 5 days which is the maximum time.

Will FoxFi work after this new update ??? I have a stock un-rooted Verizon Note 2 with unlimited data.

Thanks, Casey
    No- As of right now it will not work. I am on a stock un-rooted Verizon note 2, and WiFi tethering stopped working for me after the 4.3 update.
    Thanked by:

as did the tether app I've used on and off for many months--Portable WiFi Hotspot, which I prefer over FoxFi.
    Samsung Note 2

yeah now that 4.3 it is awesome screwing me as well. I have unlimited data. even with the tether it cant get my xbox to work with it anymore. i hope they fix this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    as did the tether app I've used on and off for many months--Portable WiFi Hotspot, which I prefer over FoxFi.
    i still can't believe how you were in every thread beotching about the update and telling people not to do it...............and then you updated anyway

I have not even received a 4.3 update. Still on 4.1.2 and now I will be sure Not to install the update. Although I don't use foxfi very often, I want to be sure I can when I need to! I will definitely Defer if/when I receive the update!

Margie
    Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Quote Originally Posted by DaManx22 View Post
    i still can't believe how you were in every thread beotching about the update and telling people not to do it...............and then you updated anyway
    that's because you didn't read all of my posts, now did you?? I explained why I let the update install. Reading some of someone's posts will generally leave one with confusion.
    Samsung Note 2

I know this thread has about gone by the wayside, but I still have a question. I have been able to connect with Bluetooth tethering, but all I can do is access the internet, and then I get an annoying popup that I have to close before it actually connects each time.
    I can't get e-mail, exchange e-mail, connect with Junos Pulse (SSLPN) or Citrix Receiver. I'm not sure what this accomplishes if surfing the Internet is not my primary goal.
    Are we SOL at this point? What alternatives are available if we want to connect and get work done and wi-fi isn't available?
    We pay for the service, what does it matter which device we use to access? I can do what I need to on the Note 2 but I would like to have the bigger screen of my Note 8 to better see what I am doing. I'm using the service either way, I can't (personally) use them both at the same time. I don't open the hotspot for a room full of people, I open it for me to use.
    Is Bluetooth definitely limited or do I have something set up wrong that prevents me from using the other apps?
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts
    ROM
    All stock for now.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckr01 View Post
    I know this thread has about gone by the wayside, but I still have a question. I have been able to connect with Bluetooth tethering, but all I can do is access the internet, and then I get an annoying popup that I have to close before it actually connects each time.
    I can't get e-mail, exchange e-mail, connect with Junos Pulse (SSLPN) or Citrix Receiver. I'm not sure what this accomplishes if surfing the Internet is not my primary goal.
    Are we SOL at this point? What alternatives are available if we want to connect and get work done and wi-fi isn't available?
    We pay for the service, what does it matter which device we use to access? I can do what I need to on the Note 2 but I would like to have the bigger screen of my Note 8 to better see what I am doing. I'm using the service either way, I can't (personally) use them both at the same time. I don't open the hotspot for a room full of people, I open it for me to use.
    Is Bluetooth definitely limited or do I have something set up wrong that prevents me from using the other apps?
    I used bluetooth in the past and it is definitely limited. Netflix didn't work. My university exchange account didn't work. And a few other things didn't work either. Not to mention that it was a slower connection as well.
    This is the only reason I haven't taken the 4.3 update yet. I have started researching custom roms but I have been down that road in the past and there always seems to be something that is broken. I'd rather stay stock.
    I guess your only option is to pay extra each month for hotspot or to change to a tiered plan that includes tethering. Not the best options.

Noted via tapatalk

I also upgraded to 4.3 by accident and now having the same Verizon Mobile Hotspot issues, so here is what I did to try to go around it with my S3 and the PDANET+ app:

I connected the S3 to my laptop ( using dongle ) and used the Activate USB Tether option on PDANET+. I had to install all the drivers and that good stuff, but atleast I got internet to work on the laptop. I then went into my network connections and shared the PDANET modem to my Local Area Connection. I then connected my lan cable from my laptop to the incomming slot of my wireless router and BAM now I have WIFI back in the house!

I know this can be used in home and not really mobile, but its better then nothing!

But let me tell you what happened next!!! this was my wifes phone, but I wanted it as a primary hotspot, so what I wanted to do is clean the phone up and take all her prefrences off. so started deleting apps, but then said F it, i'll just do a factory reset, so i did. I restarted the phone and added my a email to get PDAnet+ back on and Foxfi key. I turned off all email syncing and auto update off in the Play Store setting and just installed those two apps. I wanted the phone to have the bare miminum. Thick headed as I am I wanted to test the phone to see if I could get it to work and Activate the hotspot. It asked my to download a certificate and add a password or screenlock, so I did, but dont you know my wifi was back!!! Now some of you have a lot of apps and updates you are using with your phone, so I dont know once you starting updating will it go away, but for me leaving it as it is, is good enough for me. I did this last night and so far so good. Maybe someone how actually usses their phone can test.

so do test and reply back here, email me, or yell it to the world, but let us know! And if they ask tell them VGP did it :-)

Good Luck guys!

This morning I tried activating the hotspot with Foxfi one more time to see if anything had changed. Much to my surprise, this time it asked to download a certificate. I clicked yes and after a couple of other clicks it fired right up. I didn't do this in my previous attempts, I have no idea why it did it today, but I am happy that it is now functioning again. Hope this wasn't a fluke and it will once again disappear, it tested it a few more times and even shut off the phone and restarted. As of right now it is still working. Hopefully Big Brother isn't watching the forum

Quote Originally Posted by chuckr01 View Post
    This morning I tried activating the hotspot with Foxfi one more time to see if anything had changed. Much to my surprise, this time it asked to download a certificate. I clicked yes and after a couple of other clicks it fired right up. I didn't do this in my previous attempts, I have no idea why it did it today, but I am happy that it is now functioning again. Hope this wasn't a fluke and it will once again disappear, it tested it a few more times and even shut off the phone and restarted. As of right now it is still working. Hopefully Big Brother isn't watching the forum
    I just checked my Foxfi and installed this same certificate and now all seems to be well. Not sure what or if they pushed something out but I'm happy happy happy it's working!!

Posted via Android Central App
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast