4.3 comments

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I gave up the idea of rooting to avoid 4.3 because basically I was afraid to go through with the procedure.

So far my biggest complaint is the calendar month view is scrunched up because of the inclusion of the buttons for switching between views.

It might be my imagination but the camera seems to take slightly better pictures with unsteady hands but I need to take a lot more pictures before I'm sure of that.

I haven't had any trouble with lag or any delay coming back from black screen.

I don't see any change in the appearance of the screen as far as apparent sharpness goes. it looks as good as ever-- no better no worse. Later today I will view my wife's phone with 4.1.2 against mine and see if there's absolutely any difference.

I was under the impression this update was going to give a transparent notification bar but thank God it didn't; I've still got the black background

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
My calendar looks no different. Also it seems everyone didn't get the transparent notification bar. When I updated I didn't get it, but when AT&T bricked my phone and had to give me a new one, I got the transparent bar then.

I noticed a different in the screen immediately, note outside in the sunshine, it isn't hard to see the screen. It seems the brightness level is higher now.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My calendar looks no different. Also it seems everyone didn't get the transparent notification bar. When I updated I didn't get it, but when AT&T bricked my phone and had to give me a new one, I got the transparent bar then.

I noticed a different in the screen immediately, note outside in the sunshine, it isn't hard to see the screen. It seems the brightness level is higher now.

don't know if the black notification bar has to do with me using Nova Launcher, but I'm glad it's still black.

The camera app no longer appears to have the outside setting for increasing color saturation for easier viewing of the screen when taking pictures. I like the sound/pic option. sharing as a video (mp4) works to send pictures w/ sound to friends, so that's cool.

I just took it out in bright sunlight, and while I can hardly see anything in direct sunlight over my shoulder, it seems far better if I stand in a small patch of shade, or if i simply put myself between the sun and the phone. I'll try to evaluate the brightness, using my wife's phone on 4.1.2 this afternoon if it's still sunny. Looking at the brightness at max, inside the house, it appears the same as before so I'm not really sure there's a difference between 4.3 and 4.1.2 w/ respect to max brightness.

Are you talking about the Samsung calendar and not the Google one? I use Google calendar data, but view it using Samsung's Calendar. the right side now has buttons for selecting Day, Month, year, etc., when the view is set to Month.

Last edited:

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
So you went ahead and updated?

yes, with great trepidation, but the fear of messing up with rooting was far greater. I cleared the cache just before updating, and also went to Task Manager and closed everything and cleared memory.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the Samsung calendar, I noticed the tabs show now and didn't before.

I used to keep my phone at full brightness but don't now. Also, I don't use a launcher, so one phone had the notification black bar and one didn't..not sure why.

I haven't messed with the camera yet, so don't know about the settings on it.

ejb1013

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
don't know if the black notification bar has to do with me using Nova Launcher, but I'm glad it's still black.

That's exactly what it is. Its only transparent on touchwiz only for some reason. Its actually why im not using Nova right now .. I like the transparent bar.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
You can check transparent notification bar in Nova Prime if you're using Nova Launcher.

vy2avuna.jpg

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
"You can check transparent notification bar in Nova Prime if you're using Nova Launcher."

ah, yes, I just tried it. thx. on my wallpaper it's not TOO bad, but of course it's harder to see.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just got a chance to compare 4.1.2 phone to my 4.3 phone and as I expected, there is NO DIFFERENCE IN THE SHARPNESS or any other parameter of the screen. I'm still trying to get over the fact that a couple of people stated that with 4.3 the screen is sharper.

Secondly, the screen is NO brighter on 4.3 than on 4.1.2. I took both phones out into the sun on max brightness. in full sun, shade, and indoors, they both look the same.

As far as this ole boy is concerned, case closed on visual differences between the two OS versions with respect to the screens output.

If there are any more of you out there that swear I'm wrong, I'll not be roped into a back and forth argument. I see what I see and if you see differently, SO BE IT. Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Tony DeLuce

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I believe they must have changed the contrast and colors significantly because the screen looks much different and even with turning down brightness 25% it appears brighter and easier to see everything...

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

noshooz

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I also am pretty certain that the screen is brighter. I have my brightness setting at about a half inch to the right of full dark and it's just right for a bright indoor room. I haven't had a chance to test it outside in full sun yet, it's been too frikkin' cold.

TaylorFC

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ever since I updated to 4.3, my notifications aren't there. I'm having to go in and manually check my email. Anyone know why and/or how to fix it?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You'll get the transparent notification bar if if change your background.

Posted via My Note 2

No..with the phone I had before AT&T bricked it, I changed the background and didn't have the transparent bar. With the new phone as soon as it was updated, I had the transparent bar with the default screen, I hadn't done anything, not even logged into an account before I updated.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I didn't think I would want a transparent notification bar but its okay-- but I guess that's because of the colors of my background

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Guess it depends on your background color..mine is dark, so it's ok with that white icons and everywhere but the homescreen, it's the black bar.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol