It just occured to me that I don't need the Note 2 because i've never use the S-Pen in almost a year

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
It just occured to me that I don't need the Note 2 because i've never use the S-Pen in almost a year.
(the pen was never pulled out again after the first couple of weeks after I bought it back in February)

What does this mean? Does it mean that I'm better off with the S4 or possibly the upcoming S5
which is due in early March? (perfect timing because 3 of my lines are up for renewal in early
April)

Are there other Note 2 owners who also never use the pen?

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
It just occured to me that I don't need the Note 2 because i've never use the S-Pen in almost a year.
(the pen was never pulled out again after the first couple of weeks after I bought it back in February)

What does this mean? Does it mean that I'm better off with the S4 or possibly the upcoming S5
which is due in early March? (perfect timing because 3 of my lines are up for renewal in early
April)

I don't have the Note 2 personally, but I've gotten to experience it a few times, and from what I saw the phone is definitely not about the S Pen.
I mean, of course the S-Pen is the 'killer-feature', and makes the handset unique, but you can also enjoy the handset without the S-Pen, simply due to its huge screen, which many people prefer.
But if the big screen isn't important for you, and you think you're getting wasted with this phone, you can definitely be better off getting another phone, such as the S5, although I'm not sure why you only mentioned Samsung phones, since it's always good to keep an open mind. I personally tend to switch companies each time I buy a flagship. (Once every couple of years, Samsung->LG->?).

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The larger screen is another factor to consider with the Note 2. If you prefer the larger screen over other devices then it might be worth to have it, regardless of using the S-Pen or not. The S4 has large screen as well, so might not be too noticeable of a different if you go that route or the next iteration.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

I almost never do, but if you know of another 5.5+ inch display phone with high end specs, a MicroSD slot, and a user replaceable battery, I would love to hear about it.

MrMLK

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site

Interesting. I wasn't aware the the LG Pro had a replaceable battery.

Still, while it is a bit of an upgrade over the GN2, it doen't seem like it is enough better to be worth upgrading. And it has worse specs then the GN3 and no Multiview.

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
as others have said, its about the screen size for me. i love the big screen

Me too...never use the s pen, but screen size, sd slot and removeable battery. Not to mention it's a great phone.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gbsa

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I use my s-pen every day. With the Swype keyboard, and navigating my phone. It's one of my favorite features of this phone.

sent from my fabulous galaxy note 2

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I rarely use the s pen but it's nice to know it's there when I need it. The note 2 is still a awesome phone period. I had the 3 but sold it for a profit since the differences weren't that big. The S4 is a good choice too, but I would definitely wait for the S5.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I never used the s-pen either but I switched out my Note because I didn't really need that much phone size wise. I'm now rocking a GNex and a RAZR HD

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
the majority of the time i use the S-Pen is when my fingers can't press something like a button or whatever when i'm surfing the internet or selecting something on the screen.

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I sometimes use the pen to take notes, and I use it in Draw Something (drawing game). But as others have said, even without the pen, it's a great phone with a fantastic screen. Whenever I pick up friend's iPhones or my wife's SIII, the screens seems sooo tiny!

mumfoau

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I sometimes use the pen to take notes, and I use it in Draw Something (drawing game). But as others have said, even without the pen, it's a great phone with a fantastic screen. Whenever I pick up friend's iPhones or my wife's SIII, the screens seems sooo tiny!

After I'd switched to the nexus for a few hours then back to the note I had the opposite reaction. Lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I rarely use the pen. I like my note 2 for other reasons like the micro SD, large screen, and multi window. I think the note line of phones are the best large screen phones. If I switched it would have to be to something else with great battery life such as a Droid Maxx or something like that.

Noted via tapatalk

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Initially, I didn't use the S-Pen very much. But once I discovered all its little tricks and how much more precise it can be compared to a finger, there is now rarely a time that I don't use it! Not to mention, it really helps keep the screen clean from finger prints! I enjoyed it so much on the Note 2, I ended up going out and getting the Note 10.1! :p For me, it's an integral part of what makes the Note series so great. :)

ansa82

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site

April)

Yeah I really don't use my s pen but would never give up my Note 2 unless I was getting a note 3! I love the size!

sent from my Galaxy Note 2

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I really don't use my s pen but would never give up my Note 2 unless I was getting a note 3! I love the size!

sent from my Galaxy Note 2

I got a Note 3 and returned it. It's just not worth it because they are too similar. I sure hope the S5 or Note 4 will be more awesome.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I got a Note 3 and returned it. It's just not worth it because they are too similar. I sure hope the S5 or Note 4 will be more awesome.

I agree with you the note 3 isn't really a big deal if you have already a note 2. I set up a note 3 for my dad and I was amazed at how I didn't covet it as there just wasn't much new ( that I found useful for myself) . The one thing that I did like however was the camera. It was much more successful at taking a sharp picture which I presume has to do with shutter speed