• 1 Post By GregMargie
  • 1 Post By Synycalwon
  • 2 Post By 808TBolt
  • 2 Post By GregMargie
  • 2 Post By msndrstood
  • 1 Post By 808TBolt
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Am I alone on 4.1.2?

I have been deffering the update because of 2 simple reasons....Navigation and FoxFi. I know FoxFi is fixed and is working, but the Navigation or Maps app is still a big NO/NO for me. I have not updated because I truly dislike the Maps application, I had updated the Maps app, but then downgraded a few days later, as I could not recalculate routes, or get toll free routes....I live in NJ, near a toll road, and every preferred way to get anywhere near my home is a toll road, and I do not want to pay money, everytime I need to go somewhere...I have tried the waze app, but it is still an effort to get alternate routes, so I am wondering, if there is a way to revert back to the Navigation app? Please let me know...
    808TBolt likes this.

Global Posts
    13,907 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Am I alone on 4.1.2???????

Quote Originally Posted by sardar615 View Post
    I have been deffering the update because of 2 simple reasons....Navigation and FoxFi. I know FoxFi is fixed and is working, but the Navigation or Maps app is still a big NO/NO for me. I have not updated because I truly dislike the Maps application, I had updated the Maps app, but then downgraded a few days later, as I could not recalculate routes, or get toll free routes....I live in NJ, near a toll road, and every preferred way to get anywhere near my home is a toll road, and I do not want to pay money, everytime I need to go somewhere...I have tried the waze app, but it is still an effort to get alternate routes, so I am wondering, if there is a way to revert back to the Navigation app? Please let me know...
    You can try to uninstall the updates for Maps in settings>apps. If you have auto update apps checked for Play that will get undone immediately. Something else I don't know about is if an update is left for so long if it will get pushed anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    823 Global Posts
    ROM
    Gingerbread Deck, Matrix

Just find an old version of the maps apk and install it

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    Razr>Juke>POS Blitz(Broken)>Droid> Epic 4g(returned)>Nexus S 4g

Look for version 6.14.1. I found in a search on Xda developers forum.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I keep deferring as well

Going to wait until i purchase MyBackup Pro before i upgrade to 4.3
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 or my Samsung Galaxy Note Tablet 10.1

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by 808TBolt View Post
    I keep deferring as well

Going to wait until i purchase MyBackup Pro before i upgrade to 4.3
    Do you use that only for app data or for pictures/videos and music too?

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

I completely understand where you're coming from! I'm probably alone on 4.1.1, the original release software. I actually rooted and froze the OTA updater to stay on it. Hey, it "just works"! If it ain't broke..... For Maps (and other Google apps), I've long since turned off any auto-updating in Google Play and am still using the older Maps 6.14.4 that again "just works" (ditto on other apps). I need to see a justifiable reason to upgrade to newer software (OS or apps) before I'll even consider upgrading and dealing with changed functionality or worry about new bugs (have no patience for it!). Then again, I'm still using Windows XP (Pro)! Guess you can call me a curmudgeon!
    Thanked by:
    GregMargie, 808TBolt and sardar615 like this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by enik View Post
    Just find an old version of the maps apk and install it

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
    Can you downgrade after the update? That would really help my decision in updating....

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by sardar615 View Post
    Can you downgrade after the update? That would really help my decision in updating....

An apk of the old version wouldn't need to be downgraded, since it would already be on the version you want

Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

Because Maps is part of the 4.3 update, it can't be uninstalled to allow deferring to the 6.14.4 version. Launching the 6.14.4.apk goes to the permissions screen but does not install. How do you get by this to downgrade the Maps app?

I am actually still on 4.1.1 myself. Long ago, I downloaded what is supposed to be a simple one click file that I can open from my phone and root it if I want to. I believe it is based off of some security hole that was patched following 4.1.1. I haven't actually used it yet though. I am hesitant to install any updates though because who knows what functionality will be broken or compromised.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    An apk of the old version wouldn't need to be downgraded, since it would already be on the version you want

So I if I can find maps version 6.14.1, then I can install that apk, and continue using the navigation app as it currently exists on my phone? Because that would perfect.... And I wouldn't care if the app keeps asking me to update, because I keep bypassing it anyway.....But wouldn't there be a conflict with version 6.14.1 and 6.14.4? Please let me know....

X3 4.1.2. I am rooted and not worth the bother to unroot and possibly brick my phone just for the latest and ?greatest??
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Note II Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    I completely understand where you're coming from! I'm probably alone on 4.1.1, the original release software. I actually rooted and froze the OTA updater to stay on it. Hey, it "just works"! If it ain't broke..... For Maps (and other Google apps), I've long since turned off any auto-updating in Google Play and am still using the older Maps 6.14.4 that again "just works" (ditto on other apps). I need to see a justifiable reason to upgrade to newer software (OS or apps) before I'll even consider upgrading and dealing with changed functionality or worry about new bugs (have no patience for it!). Then again, I'm still using Windows XP (Pro)! Guess you can call me a curmudgeon!
    I completely agree. I am on 4.2 but continue to defer the 4.3 as I have unlimited and use foxfi to tether laptop once in awhile. I did see that foxfi is fixed now. I also like the old version/ navigation of google maps and did uninstall the update when it updated to that awful version. I have also heard of bad battery drain in 4.3.......Ugh! I am not a rooter, too afraid to do that and for me just not necessary.

Margie
    Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    Synycalwon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GregMargie View Post
    I completely agree. I am on 4.2 but continue to defer the 4.3 as I have unlimited and use foxfi to tether laptop once in awhile. I did see that foxfi is fixed now. I also like the old version/ navigation of google maps and did uninstall the update when it updated to that awful version. I have also heard of bad battery drain in 4.3.......Ugh! I am not a rooter, too afraid to do that and for me just not necessary.

Margie
    Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
    We have two Note 2's in our household and neither one has worse battery life with 4.3 vs any other OS that has been on our phones since launch well over a year ago. Many issues are magnified by the internet as anyone with a problem will talk about it at length and the many people who have zero issues with the same product, stay silent.
    Samsung Note 2

I am still on 4.1.2 because my GN2 works great just the way it is. Plus I still have unlimited data and use Portable WiFi Hotspot regularly for multiple devices. Unfortunately the update downloaded to my phone so I am on the every 5 day defer cycle. I wish there was a way around this without root.

Quote Originally Posted by snsjets View Post
    I am still on 4.1.2 because my GN2 works great just the way it is. Plus I still have unlimited data and use Portable WiFi Hotspot regularly for multiple devices. Unfortunately the update downloaded to my phone so I am on the every 5 day defer cycle. I wish there was a way around this without root.
    You can use Foxfi on 4.3 if you follow the instructions on one of the threads here.
    Samsung Note 2

my Note 2 crapped out on my on March 7th...USB port wasn't charging my phone anymore.

i tested it by swapping batteries with my coworker's Note 2. Her phone could charge my battery but my phone couldn't charge her battery.

another coworker of mine said that his wife's S4 had the same problem within 6 months of her getting the S4...USB port wasn't enabling the phone to get charged. so she had a manufacturer warranty replacement.

i got lucky as well. when i took my original Note 2 to Verizon, they said i was still within a few weeks of the 1 year manufacturer warranty.

so now i'm on 4.3. if there was a way to get the Verizon 4.1.3 on this replacement phone, i'd love to have it instead of 4.3

my Note 2 crapped out on my on March 7th...USB port wasn't charging my phone anymore.

i tested it by swapping batteries with my coworker's Note 2. Her phone could charge my battery but my phone couldn't charge her battery.

another coworker of mine said that his wife's S4 had the same problem within 6 months of her getting the S4...USB port wasn't enabling the phone to get charged. so she had a manufacturer warranty replacement.

i got lucky as well. when i took my original Note 2 to Verizon, they said i was still within a few weeks of the 1 year manufacturer warranty.

so now i'm on 4.3. if there was a way to get the Verizon 4.1.3 on this replacement phone, i'd love to have it instead of 4.3
    Sorry to hear about that, sucks! Unfortunately I don't believe there's any way to go back to anything pre-4.3 as the bootloader is now locked and/or altered in a way to prevent or make it very risky trying to downgrade.

As to the USB charging port going bad, it's a big reason I'm a hard core advocate for user-replaceable batteries and using a spare battery and external charger versus using only the phone to charge a single battery (just swap out for a fresh battery instead). It vastly reduces wear and tear on the port and the internals of the phone itself. Worst case you may need to replace the battery door cover, but at only about $10.
    Thanked by:
    808TBolt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Sorry to hear about that, sucks! Unfortunately I don't believe there's any way to go back to anything pre-4.3 as the bootloader is now locked and/or altered in a way to prevent or make it very risky trying to downgrade.

As to the USB charging port going bad, it's a big reason I'm a hard core advocate for user-replaceable batteries and using a spare battery and external charger versus using only the phone to charge a single battery (just swap out for a fresh battery instead). It vastly reduces wear and tear on the port and the internals of the phone itself. Worst case you may need to replace the battery door cover, but at only about $10.
    i'm also an advocate for replaceable batteries. not sure why some manufacturers are going away from this.

in the case of my old Note 2, i guess i could've worked around with an extra battery. i would've had to use my PC to transfer files with my SD card.
    GregMargie and Synycalwon like this.

i'm also an advocate for replaceable batteries. not sure why some manufacturers are going away from this.
    I completely agree! I won't buy a phone that has a sealed internal battery! If something goes wrong with the battery/phone, you don't know what the problem is and have to take the whole phone in to a shop.....I like being able to replace the battery if needed. I hope going to the sealed battery isn't going to be the trend in the future.
    Synycalwon and 808TBolt like this.

ROM
    Stock JB 4.1.2

I completely agree! I won't buy a phone that has a sealed internal battery! If something goes wrong with the battery/phone, you don't know what the problem is and have to take the whole phone in to a shop.....I like being able to replace the battery if needed. I hope going to the sealed battery isn't going to be the trend in the future.
    This! 👆

I use extended batteries so a sealed battery is a no go for me.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What?!...I'm msndrstood.

Sent via Note 2
    GregMargie and 808TBolt like this.

totally agree! i hope that when the Note 4 comes out that it still has a replaceable battery and is micro SD capable

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by msndrstood View Post
    This! ��

I use extended batteries so a sealed battery is a no go for me.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    same here.

this is Android. not lame @$$ iPhone
    msndrstood likes this.