Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Note 2 USB port burnt out

Last night I was awaken to the faint smell of electrical fumes. Low and behold it's my cell phone. The phone was so hot it was unable to be handled. I unplugged it from the usb charger and the wall. Let cool down. The USB port was burnt and so was the charger. Even the back plastic was melted. Called verizon for help. No luck. Took to verizon store and was told I had to file a claim with the insurance company. That cost me $100 bucks. Contacted samsung today with all the photos and a nice email. Still no word from them. Felt I should share so people can be aware. If I had not woken up to catch it that could of been a fatal fire. Not the way I want to go out.

Mac
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Note 2 USB port burnt out-image.jpg   Note 2 USB port burnt out-image.jpg   Note 2 USB port burnt out-image.jpg   Note 2 USB port burnt out-image.jpg   Note 2 USB port burnt out-image.jpg  

Default Re: Note 2 USB port burnt out

WOW, it went nuclear! Same thing happened to my son's HTC. Turns out he plugged it in backwards. My cord and charger survived but his USB port did not.

Did you use the stock charger?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

I'm curious, did you plug the AC charger directly into a household wall outlet? Or did you plug the charger first into a surge protector? I always use a surge protector since you never know when there might be a spike in electricity from out of nowhere. Just offering a possible explanation. I've never had that happen to me in all the years I've owned many electronics, but there's always a first time.
    Is that a Samsung Note 3 in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?