Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What can I do to make absolutely sure that my Verizon Note 2 doesn't get updated to KitKat?

what can I do to make absolutely sure that my Note 2 doesn't get updated to KitKat by Verizon?

I read somewhere that I need to disable "FWupgrade" in my apps manager. However, my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 2 does NOT have FWupgrade .

I looked at another Verizon Note 2 and it did have "FWupgrade" in the app manager. So I'm wondering what's wrong with my Galaxy Note 2. I have never messed with the phone(i.e. root or unlock or stuff like that) since I got it brand new from Verizon directly.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-13-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Default Re: what can I do to make absolutely sure that my Note 2 doesn't get updated to KitKat? (no FWupgr

FWupgrade is part of the OTA updater. Disabling the updater is the only sure way to prevent getting an OTA update. To do that though requires root access (note: there is also another file that needs to be disabled to fully disable the updater). See this thread for more info: How do I permanently prevent Note 2 from OTA updating to 4.3?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: what can I do to make absolutely sure that my Note 2 doesn't get updated to KitKat? (no FWupgr

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    FWupgrade is part of the OTA updater. Disabling the updater is the only sure way to prevent getting an OTA update. To do that though requires root access (note: there is also another file that needs to be disabled to fully disable the updater). See this thread for more info: How do I permanently prevent Note 2 from OTA updating to 4.3?
    but my Note 2 does not have FWupgrade anywhere.... I put my VZW Note 2 next to another VZW Note 2. I found FWupgrade easily in the other Note 2. My own Note 2 just doesn't have it.... not sure if it's because my Note 2 came directly as a CLNR replacement?

Edit: If you're looking just in Application Manager, FWupgrade may not be listed there. I don't recall seeing it there on mine prior to rooting and disabling the OTA updater. Even if it is listed there, you still need root access to disable/freeze it (ex. with an app like Titanium or MyBackup Pro).

If you're looking for those files in the stock file manager (My Files), it won't show them because they're in the system\app directory. You need root access and a file manager such as ES File Explorer (with its root features enabled) to get to that directory (and then rename/modify the two files to disable the OTA updater).
    Last edited by Synycalwon; 03-13-2014 at 12:17 PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    Edit: If you're looking just in Application Manager, FWupgrade may not be listed there. I don't recall seeing it there on mine prior to rooting and disabling the OTA updater. Even if it is listed there, you still need root access to disable/freeze it (ex. with an app like Titanium or MyBackup Pro).

If you're looking for those files in the stock file manager (My Files), it won't show them because they're in the system\app directory. You need root access and a file manager such as ES File Explorer (with its root features enabled) to get to that directory (and then rename/modify the two files to disable the OTA updater).
    where can I instructions on rooting for my Galaxy Note 2? it currently runs on stock 4.3 Android. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: What can I do to make absolutely sure that my Verizon Note 2 doesn't get updated to KitKat?

Quote Originally Posted by CarrierPigeon View Post
    what can I do to make absolutely sure that my Note 2 doesn't get updated to KitKat by Verizon?
    Keep your Verizon Note 2. We'll never get KitKat.
    Do you mean to tell me that I can make a phone call on this thing?!!!
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Default Re: What can I do to make absolutely sure that my Verizon Note 2 doesn't get updated to KitKat?

Quote Originally Posted by N2myN2 View Post
    Keep your Verizon Note 2. We'll never get KitKat.
    normally I would agree with you, but Samsung has already said that all Note 2 phones will get Kit Kat.
    Yes, Verizon will be the last one when it releases it a few months later than any other carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrierPigeon View Post
    where can I instructions on rooting for my Galaxy Note 2? it currently runs on stock 4.3 Android. Thanks in advance!
    See here (credit to pool_shark from this thread ): [ROOT] Saferoot: Root for VRUEMJ7, MK2, and Android 4.3 - xda-developers