Renamed SDM & FWupgrade to *.bak - Does that guarantee my Note 2 will NEVER get KitKat OTA update?

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Renamed SDM & FWupgrade to *.bak - Does that guarantee my Note 2 will NEVER get KitKat OTA update?

My Verizon Galaxy Note II had Android 4.3 OTA update.

I rooted it via Saferoot. Next, I renamed SDM.apk to SDM.bak
and FWupgrade.apk to FWupgrade.bak. (both apps no longer
show up in application manager)

Does this guarantee 100% that it will NEVER get 4.4 KitKat
or any other OTA update from Verizon?

Thanks! :)

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Renamed SDM & FWupgrade to *.bak - Does that guarantee my Note 2 will NEVER get KitKat OTA upda

Yes, that will prevent any further OTA updates going forward as the updater is now disabled. You won't even see a notification for any updates.

If you ever change your mind and want OTA updates again, just rename the two files back to the apk extension (and reboot). :)

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Renamed SDM & FWupgrade to *.bak - Does that guarantee my Note 2 will NEVER get KitKat OTA upda

Yes, that will prevent any further OTA updates going forward as the updater is now disabled. You won't even see a notification for any updates.

If you ever change your mind and want OTA updates again, just rename the two files back to the apk extension (and reboot). :)

Shouldn't I also re-root using Saferoot's built-in unroot, as well as SuperSU full re-root to return it to original condition?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site

Shouldn't I also re-root using Saferoot's built-in unroot, as well as SuperSU full re-root to return it to original condition?

Yes, I forgot about that. It is best to unroot/return the device to as close as stock condition so it would pass any checks for the update and install without issue. Just follow the recommended unroot option for whatever rooting method you originally used. :)

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I forgot about that. It is best to unroot/return the device to as close as stock condition so it would pass any checks for the update and install without issue. Just follow the recommended unroot option for whatever rooting method you originally used. :)

Thanks! I guess I won't have to deal with it until Verizon releases Kit kat. (and only when someone figures out how to root it at that time) That should be a pretty long wait. :D