Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kentrol72
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Default Google now listening delay

I'm not sure when my problem started, but it deals with using google now on my verizon note 2 stock.

When "ok google" hotword detection is turned on, if I say "ok google" or tap the microphone, it takes several seconds until it will listen for my command. It hears the "ok google" fine, it's the screen where it only shows Google and the microphone on the top right corner. After several seconds, it will bleep and display speak now on the bottom left.

If I turn hotword detection off, it will bleep and display speak now immediately after I tap the microphone.

It's annoying as I have though I heard the beep and be in the middle of giving a command when I realize it's not "listening." I have strong wifi and tried in a strong 4g area. I have factory reset, cleared cache, reinstalled Kit Kat via Odin, started in safe mode, turned off bluetooth option in now, etc.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This issue has me wanting to call for a warranty swap but would hate too for this little problem.

Default Re: Google now listening delay

It is normal for there to be a several seconds delay if you turn on hot word detection. I just shut mine off yesterday because I got aggravated with the delay

With a little luck we will see that delay fixed in an update

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app
    Verizon Note 2 on 4.4.2 and Gear 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1812dave View Post
    It is normal for there to be a several seconds delay if you turn on hot word detection.
    Thanks for your reply!

My wife's s3, as well as my note 10.1, is pretty darn close to listening immediately after saying ok Google or tapping the microphone with detection on. My note 2 used to be as well.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by jlo3378 View Post
    I'm not sure when my problem started, but it deals with using google now on my verizon note 2 stock.

When "ok google" hotword detection is turned on, if I say "ok google" or tap the microphone, it takes several seconds until it will listen for my command. It hears the "ok google" fine, it's the screen where it only shows Google and the microphone on the top right corner. After several seconds, it will bleep and display speak now on the bottom left.

If I turn hotword detection off, it will bleep and display speak now immediately after I tap the microphone.

It's annoying as I have though I heard the beep and be in the middle of giving a command when I realize it's not "listening." I have strong wifi and tried in a strong 4g area. I have factory reset, cleared cache, reinstalled Kit Kat via Odin, started in safe mode, turned off bluetooth option in now, etc.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This issue has me wanting to call for a warranty swap but would hate too for this little problem.
    I have the same problem. It is very annoying.

Posted from my Galaxy Note 2 via Android Central App

I'm having the same problem with it using my Blueant Bluetooth Speakerphone in my car since the update. Initially I hear the beep, but every time after that, I have to guess when it's ready to listen, because no beep. It's practically made driving with my Bluetooth speakerphone unusable. Most of the time I don't time it correctly and I get the "Sorry, I didn't catch that" reply from Google.

It's gotten so bad, that I went back on my phone and enabled S Voice, because that at least will talk to me and let me know with a beep when to talk. It's not as accurate as Google, that's why I disabled it, but at least I can use it with my speakerphone now.

I'd like to know how to get back to the google voice search version that asked for a Name or Number and talked to you all the time. I don't know why they had to update Google Voice Search automatically with Kit Kat and just didn't let us update ourselves if we chose to. Before Kit Kat, I updated it and it wouldn't talk to me, but I could uninstall the updates and get back to the version I wanted where it spoke to you.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 4 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB, Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 16GB

Im glad to see I am not crazy. My Note 2 has been doing the same thing. 3 to 5 seconds after saying "Google Now" the chime then alerts that its listening.
    With the update, its great to be able to use Google Now search from any screen or app but the delay of the active listening makes it near unusable.

Is this issue only on the Verizon version of the Note 2? I dont see any talking about this issue over on the general Galaxy Note 2 forum.

Posted via Android Central App
    1812dave likes this.

Is it that bad to have to wait a few seconds? It fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jlost View Post
    Is it that bad to have to wait a few seconds? It fine for me.
    Yes, the delay is not always the same and I often have trouble getting it to be ready when I'm ready to start speaking. You have to understand I use this thing constantly so the irregularity of the delay is difficult to deal with. Perhaps yours is more consistent or you just don't use it enough to be bothered by the problem

Yes, the delay is not always the same and I often have trouble getting it to be ready when I'm ready to start speaking. You have to understand I use this thing constantly so the irregularity of the delay is difficult to deal with. Perhaps yours is more consistent or you just don't use it enough to be bothered by the problem

That makes sense. Sorry if I was rude. I was just wondering. I do get a delay but it's not five seconds. I clear the cache on my phone once and a while so that could be helping.

Quote Originally Posted by jlost View Post
    That makes sense. Sorry if I was rude. I was just wondering. I do get a delay but it's not five seconds. I clear the cache on my phone once and a while so that could be helping.
    I didn't think you were in the slightest bit rude! We just have differing opinions on how well the Google Now works for each of us. I am fine with it, now that I turned off the feature that has it listening for the hot word. It is ready to go immediately now. It would be nice if they can fix the delay when that feature is ON.

This is true. I'm sure they were updated.

For whatever it's worth, I was testing this delay issue with my Note 2 while my Note 8 was open in front of me. The delay on the Note 2 was noticable, the response on the Note 8 was almost immediate, the Note 2 didn't process some of the same questions at all. There is definately an issue with the Note 2. Both of these are 4.4.2.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckr01 View Post
    For whatever it's worth, I was testing this delay issue with my Note 2 while my Note 8 was open in front of me. The delay on the Note 2 was noticable, the response on the Note 8 was almost immediate, the Note 2 didn't process some of the same questions at all. There is definately an issue with the Note 2. Both of these are 4.4.2.
    Does your note 8 have the hot word detection enabled?

Does your note 8 have the hot word detection enabled?

I have Ok Google in Ok google detection in Language and Input/Voice Search enabled if that's what you are asking. It works on the Note 2 and Note 8, the Note 8 is fast, the Note 2 has a noticable delay. I get the answer on the Note 8 shortly after Speak Now comes up on the Note 2.
    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chuckr01 View Post
    It works on the Note 2 and Note 8, the Note 8 is fast, the Note 2 has a noticable delay.
    I did the same test with my note 10.1 and my wife's s3 (on 4.4.2) with same result. I took a video of it to post, but I tried to test the video and it sets off Google now. I don't want to make everyone crazy when they try playing it.

On a side note, if I was a radio dj, I think randomly through my broadcast I'd say "ok Google" just to make everyone that's listening to the radio causing their phone to start listening.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I have experienced this on my Verizon Note 2 as well and have tried several things to fix it. Clearing device RAM. Power cycling my phone, and even a factory reset. This is always present in either scenario.

However, I noticed something.. anyone notice this also happens when using the speech to txt within the device's keyboard? It seems like it's a delay in voice recognition's initialization entirely.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Miller View Post
    I have experienced this on my Verizon Note 2 as well and have tried several things to fix it. Clearing device RAM. Power cycling my phone, and even a factory reset. This is always present in either scenario.

However, I noticed something.. anyone notice this also happens when using the speech to txt within the device's keyboard? It seems like it's a delay in voice recognition's initialization entirely.

Just my two cents.
    This also happens to me. My wife has gotten a note 3 last month and there isn't any lag in that department. Now that I notice it, I never had this lag tell the kitkat update. Pretty much the only lag is on Google search and speech to text. Do you have OK Google on from any screen? I will try that off and see if that helps any.

This happens to me as well. But on on TW ROMs. AOSP ROMs are fine