Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Synycalwon
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default usb communication protocols

Hi.
    I recently purchased a 2013 Hyundai Elantra.
    I've found that it has a usb connection but my note2 doesn't work with the usb port. I went to the dealership and they said that I need to buy a specific cable. $45.00.
    When I bought an aftermarket Bluetooth device, the technician said that the car uses a different communication protocol than the phone does.
    Car- MSC
    Phone- MTP/PTP.
    I just got off the phone with Verizon tech support, and asked them if there were any drivers or patches for this issue.
    In looking through the multitude of online discussions, the issue of communication protocols arise there too.

It'd be great for someone to write a driver/patch for this, allowing people like me to connect our phones to our cars and listen to our music, books, etc.....
    TYIA.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: usb communication protocols

I believe the car's USB connector and the proprietary cable are just for Apple products. That's the setup my girl used for her iPhone and iPod when she had a Kia Soul (and later an Optima).

Otherwise, you should be able to use Bluetooth; just pair the phone and car together (see your car's owners manual for setup instructions). That's what I do with mine (2014 Kia Forte). The phone then shows up as a media device on the car's radio system where you can then select it and play media files that are stored on it. Or if supported by your vehicle it can also make and receive hands free phone calls.
    UJ95x likes this.