VZW Universal Accessory Stuff

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
So I pre-ordered via phone and asked the guy if there were any official accessories available for the SGIII. He said yes and I chose the car dock and MHL>HDMI connector. I get them yesterday and it's VZW universal stuff.

I'm planning on returning them, but might keep the adapter. Anyone have any experience with these? Any word on official SGIII accessories? If I wanted universal stuff I would have hit Amazon. Freaking Donkey... I was clear when I said "official SGIII accessories".

DianeR

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I thought they were supposed to keep the cable connector the same so we wouldn't have to keep replacing cables?

When you order online you are given the option to pre-order actual S3 accessories. The only problem is there's no option to click for more details and once you place your order there's no way to see the accessories on their website. I already logged a complaint about this with the online chat person, who reported it.

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Im definately going to need a car mount. I havent found anything official on that yet. Oversees they have some nice universal solutions but I feel like we might be high and dry when this phone ships.

Bad_SNaCKY

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Im definately going to need a car mount. I havent found anything official on that yet. Oversees they have some nice universal solutions but I feel like we might be high and dry when this phone ships.

I want a carmount too -- my built in car GPS was a total waste of money as phone adroid GPS is far superior. I want to see what case i go with first so i don't discover any unpleasant compatibility issues; i don't want to have to take the case off everytime i car mount it.

kalnel#WN

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've been using an old vent-mount designed for older iPods as my car mount. It has worked very well for every phone since my old Windows Mobile XV6700, but I think the SIII may be a bit of a squeeze.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I thought they were supposed to keep the cable connector the same so we wouldn't have to keep replacing cables?

When you order online you are given the option to pre-order actual S3 accessories. The only problem is there's no option to click for more details and once you place your order there's no way to see the accessories on their website. I already logged a complaint about this with the online chat person, who reported it.

the micro-usb cable for charging and data transfer is still the same, just the MHL adapter is different

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. At the very least I'm returning this stuff. I can wait a little for official gear.

WhoMe - Yea, does look official, but basically a universal mount. A bit of a pain considering you will need to put the phone in and plug the cord in. Hmm... definitely not worth that price. May have to wait for aftermarket goodies.

Edit - What I said about the dock is wrong. Thanks WhoMe.

Last edited:

DianeR

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
okay, stupid question, what's an MHL adapter and what is it for? Thought everything plugged into the micro-usb slot

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
okay, stupid question, what's an MHL adapter and what is it for? Thought everything plugged into the micro-usb slot

An MHL port is basically a micro-USB and HDMI slot in 1 (anyone correct me if I'm wrong). The adapter allows you to connect it to that port and a normal HDMI cable to your TV so that you can mirror your phone on the TV screen.

Reactions: DianeR

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. At the very least I'm returning this stuff. I can wait a little for official gear.

WhoMe - Yea, does look official, but basically a universal mount. A bit of a pain considering you will need to put the phone in and plug the cord in. Hmm... definitely not worth that price. May have to wait for aftermarket goodies.

Crap I didnt realize that, I thought that little thing in the gap was a micro USB plug??
Carmount-1.png

Reactions: SoDev

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Crap I didnt realize that, I thought that little thing in the gap was a micro USB plug??
Click to view quoted image

That is a microusb plug

The Vehicle Power Charger is connected directly to the mount so that when your Galaxy S III S3 i9300 handset is docked, its charging. The mount automatically charges your Galaxy S III S3 i9300 handset without you having to plug / unplug the Vehicle Power Charger.

Reactions: SoDev and DianeR

DianeR

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
looks like the phone has to be naked for this mount though :( Taking on/off the case of my existing phone (Droid) for use in the mount caused the case to break rather quickly (the silly plastic tabs snapped off)

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
WhoMe - I'm an idiot. :confused: That makes me very happy. Thanks man! :)

It looks like the reality on this one may have been reversed again. From the Samsung page it looks like there is NO built in micro USB plug. The pictures are much bigger and clearer. Also the "Universal" label makes me think its not what we are looking for.
Universal Vehicle Navigation Mount

Im considering trying to find a way to make this work in my card. Dunno =(
Galaxy S

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo