Car Mounts

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
What car mount will you be using?

Here is what I have ordered:

Mountek nGroove MT5000 CD/DVD Slot Car Mount

61A7xR3hU-L.jpg

I will slap a NFC tag on it and have it turn on BT and setup the phone for "Driving Mode".

jckwong

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I bought the following when I had my old Garmin GPS:
Gomadic Car Vent Holder

It is adjustable and rotates for landscape view. I use it every day when I hook up my AUX cable to receive calls, listen to podcasts and use the GPS on my wireless device.

lsmunoz

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Are there any options that have the plug built into the dock so that you do not have to plug in after putting it into the dock?

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
Kilo, where did you get that CD mount?

I've always been wary of the vent models, as I had my doubts about taking it off or it breaking my vent. My car is old, but it currently doesn't look like a POS inside. I've actually been looking to get a universal mount for my XM radio as well. Without using the vent mount, I just have it sitting between my transmission and e-brake. Tough to look down at it while driving. I'd like one for the GS3 too for navi. Maybe a universal using the CD for the XM and a windshield for the phone when I need navigation.

My only worry about the CD slot mount is the potential to bust the CD player. Not quite sure exactly how they are designed. I don't use my CD player (everything is on USB), but I also don't want it busted.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I bought this one from the VZW store. With my discount I got it for $14.99. The vent mount is neat, plus you can have cold air blow on it as it heats up on those long trips while using GPS.

Set Your Location

Hah, took a lot of trips with a Froyo phone huh? I thought for sure my phone was toast the time I drove from Ohio to North Carolina and after about 5 hours of having nav on, the phone was literally too hot to pick up without just grabbing the edges. Gingerbread seems to be a ton better about that (or maybe its just newer versions of nav) but any time the screen is on, its charging the batt, and its probably in direct sunlight theres going to be a lot of heat.

ColdBrew

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely! I already know that I will most likely miss my Droid X car dock unless I can find something comparable to it.

No kidding! I've use the one for Droid X and Droid Bionic and they work great. I don't see anything close in quality to those so far for the S3.

I use my car dock daily and need to find a good one for the S3.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I think I'm going to go balls out and get a made-for-my-car mount from kudausa.com or proclipusa.com

More expensive, but I like the idea of it being custom made to fit my car model, rather than a windshield or air vent mount. The one from Proclip will cost me $30 for the mount + another $35 for the clip, while the one from Koda will cost quite a bit more.

Reactions: jamisont

ColdBrew

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm going to go balls out and get a made-for-my-car mount from kudausa.com or proclipusa.com

More expensive, but I like the idea of it being custom made to fit my car model, rather than a windshield or air vent mount. The one from Proclip will cost me $30 for the mount + another $35 for the clip, while the one from Koda will cost quite a bit more.

I used Proclip with my Touch Pro 2 years ago and while the custom part for the car worked great, the mount for the phone didn't work as good as say the Motorola docks for their phones.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I used Proclip with my Touch Pro 2 years ago and while the custom part for the car worked great, the mount for the phone didn't work as good as say the Motorola docks for their phones.

Good to know. I've been trying to figure it if the custom part is universal or if I have to use their mount. Do you know?

CVisk

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
Are there any options that have the plug built into the dock so that you do not have to plug in after putting it into the dock?

I agree. This will be a must. This is how my Droid X car dock, and the desk dock work. Surely as high end of a phone and mass produced this is there will surely be something like it.

ColdBrew

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Good to know. I've been trying to figure it if the custom part is universal or if I have to use their mount. Do you know?

If I understand what you are asking. You have to use their docks with their mounts. The one I used had a plastic plate on the custom car piece that the phone dock slid on to.

The problem was that the usb plug didn't line up properly and required two hands to insert the phone.

It looks like the one for the S3 doesn't even have a usb plug on the dock. So it would be a two step process of inserting the phone and then plugin in the cables.

I want something I can insert with one hand that this is it.

Bad_SNaCKY

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered this one as well. I figure if it doesn't work I'm only out $17.

x3 -- i even scoured the interwebz for a %5 off discount code (for a whopping 75 cents off!). $16.20 total, shipped.

Sounds like he had to dremmel out some of the back of the mount for the speaker placement on the phone per his video:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9wBmmKhp9Y[/YT]

Here's an HD review for the mount itself (using an Infuse):

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC33ycdrkF4[/YT]

Last edited:

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
x3 -- i even scoured the interwebz for a %5 off discount code (for a whopping 75 cents off!). $16.20 total, shipped.

Sounds like he had to dremmel out some of the back of the mount for the speaker placement on the phone per his video:

Click to view quoted video

Here's an HD review for the mount itself (using an Infuse):

Click to view quoted video
I was concerned about drilling out the holes since I can't use Audio Out in my car but then I got thinking it's just plastic anyway so how hard could it be?