Car Mounts

tucker973

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Question: Has everyone with the Infuse dock been drilling out holes in the back for the speakers? Is this a necessary step? Any issues doing this without damaging the dock?

I didn't bother, and likely won't as I run everything over the aux cable. There's nothing particularly special about the plastic of the dock, though, so as long as you're careful I doubt you'd have a problem if you do decide to drill them out. Just remember, measure twice, cut once ;)

Reactions: mojoman1234

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Just remember, measure twice, cut once ;)

Bah, just eyeball it. I'm sure it will be fine :)

Just one little tip I've learned with the dock (which is kindof obvious): The dock is tight....I had been pulling the phone until it unsnapped from the dock, but I found if I just held the phone and kindof pulled back on the corners of the dock holding it (the ones opposite the plug), the phone comes right out easily.

I was worried about putting too much pressure on the phone pulling it out of the dock (and was frequently hitting the volume or power buttons while doing so) but just putting a finger up on the corner of the phone and pulling the corner of the dock away, the phone comes right out.

Hard to explain, but it's made getting the phone out of the dock easier for me.

tucker973

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
(and was frequently hitting the volume or power buttons while doing so)

Ugh, tell me about it. I'm constantly accidentally hitting the volume buttons. I'm sure I'll eventually adapt, but even just picking it up and carrying it around I'll absent-mindedly hit them. That area was blank on the Droid X, so I'm used to just squeezing there I guess.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, tell me about it. I'm constantly accidentally hitting the volume buttons. I'm sure I'll eventually adapt, but even just picking it up and carrying it around I'll absent-mindedly hit them. That area was blank on the Droid X, so I'm used to just squeezing there I guess.

Ditto...they're pretty sensitive. Didn't have that issue with my old EVO 4G....they volume buttons took a bit more force to press them. The ones on the GSIII are practically touch-sensitive...I'm pretty sure a strong breeze can trigger them. Wish they were a bit harder to press.

TeeX

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I've got an update - after about 10 hours of driving this weekend, I'm very pleased with the dock. I did go back and try the built in speaker jack, and the audio quality was just fine. I'm not sure what was up the first time I tried it (likely something stupid on my part), but the audio played fine from the dock right to my aux-in.

So long story short, the dock is great for my needs. I don't use a case or anything, so that's not an issue, and everything else works as expected. The only minor issue I've found is that when you un-dock the phone, it doesn't register as disconnecting the speakers, so you have to manually pause any music that's playing. When I use the headphone jack, it pauses the music automatically. With everything else that works flawlessly, I can overlook this minor issue.

awesome. thanks for the update! Got my shipping notice, so should have mine in a couple days! :)

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site

tucker973

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Nice. I've been looking for a mount that works with a case. Any chance this gets carried in the US?

It seems those universal-type holders are a dime a dozen... Amazon is flooded with them. My whole purpose for getting the dock was specifically for the docking and charging features, so a mount that's just a little grabber on a stick isn't very interesting. To each his own, though... If that's all you're looking for, wait till the AC store has a sale and buy something similar from there.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Here is the link to the same iBolt unit on smartphonepedia.
Samsung Galaxy S3 iBolt Charging Car Dock

Thanks.

It seems those universal-type holders are a dime a dozen... Amazon is flooded with them. My whole purpose for getting the dock was specifically for the docking and charging features, so a mount that's just a little grabber on a stick isn't very interesting. To each his own, though... If that's all you're looking for, wait till the AC store has a sale and buy something similar from there.

Yea, I rarely use GPS, have no need for audio out, or need to charge my phone while I drive. My phone stays in my pocket 95% of the time when I'm driving. And I'm not taking off/putting on my case for the 5% of the time I want to use a mount.

So a grabber on a stick is all I need.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site

This one seems to be a bit nicer than some of the others FWIW. I'm on the fence here. I don't want to tear my cover off every time I get in the car, so I guess the Infuse dock is out.

petschska

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site

Well it's not just a universal clamp. If you look at the photos you will see it has an integrated audio out, but you have to plug the USB connector in rather than having a slide like the Infuse 4G dock.

Sent from my SGS3 using Tapatalk.

ummpaulie

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I just recently pick up the Iottie Easy Flex Mount. It fits perfectly into the slot above my head unit. It is small enough not to be in the way or ugly. It rotates perfectly and has pads on the sides to as not scratch the phone. Its a really tight fit and I've test it the past week over some bad roads here in my area.

2zp5i5z.jpg

Link to purchase - iOttie Easy Flex Universal Car Mount Holder for iPhone 4S, Smartphone

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Just found this on Amazon..... it's what I'm looking for.
Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 Vehicle Dock Kit Car Mount Charger Dock Kit

That looks exactly like the infuse dock that you can get for like $20. Although it's probably made specifically for the S3 so maybe the phone doesn't fit as tight.

Of course, the fact there's only one seller (which is "Medical Supply Liquidators") makes me think it might possibly be the exact same dock. I'd be hesitant to buy it and concerned they're just sending you an Infuse dock at an inflated price. If it was an official S3 dock, I would think it'd be available from more sellers.

Of course, maybe I'm just being paranoid.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
If it was made for the S3 it would have 3 cutouts in the back I believe.

Good point as well. I'd stay away from it.

But if you order it, let us know when it arrives if it comes in an Infuse box or something else fishy (like not in a box or in a box with "Galaxy s3" written in crayon on it).

I personally would like an actual S3 dock. The infuse dock works well, but it snaps in pretty tight and you can tell that the corners aren't designed with the S3 in mind, since they're more square than round like the S3 is. Also, the clip at the end that I assume is supposed to release the phone serves no purpose with the S3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12