Car Mounts

Floridadomer

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Car Home Ultra. 30-day free trial but I already purchased it. With purchasing I can add destination locations and that's worth it to me for $1.99 ;) Great app!

So I guess I'm not the only one who can't find a car home app on the S3?

I have been using Car Home Ultra for a couple of years now and it has worked great and has all the options that I wanted like Automatically turning on/off BT and Wifi.

Prozak

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
True,but the "LONG" cord by itself does not put the phone in car mode. So the added value of the cradle fit (with case on) is diminished by the additional steps necessary just to get started.

The long cable becomes nothing more than a charger for the phone.

For now, I will stick with my modified Infuse dock, though not perfect (have to take phone out of case), my apps work fine and bluetooth audio works great.

Aren't you taking more additional steps to take the phone out of the case than ton launch your car app?

My app launched before dock based on BT connection. You could do similar

To each their own though. Just gotta wait until something better comes along

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Engadget had an article and video talking about a new dock that was being made by TomTom...has tons of features and ability to charge an S3, Bluetooth etc...here is a link to the video you can cut to the 1:10 mark to see the s3

m.engadget.com/2012/07/31/tomtom-smartphone-cradle/?icid=eng_latest_art

I got really excited until I saw the $120 price tag, no thanks! I'd love an official solution from Samsun that also allows me to charge my phone, but with a defender case on my phone that's going to be hard to find anyway.

Kyle L

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I got really excited until I saw the $120 price tag, no thanks! I'd love an official solution from Samsun that also allows me to charge my phone, but with a defender case on my phone that's going to be hard to find anyway.

There is the ibolt option for $45 that I ultimately went with, fits with my commuter case on however not sure about defender. Its available here on the android central shop or through vzw.

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I went the Exogear's universal Exo-Dock. I was going to get fancy and take proper pictures and the rest, and I still might; but for the sake of helping people out I wanted to let you guys know that Im happy with it.

As you may or may not know the exogear dock is pretty much a clamp, a stylish clamp but its a clamp. It doesnt provide the one handed instant charging functionality of the Infuse dock but since I upgrade my phones every year or so I grew rather tired of buying a new car dock to match the phone the month ya know.

Pros:
Its attractive, easy to adjust, and while it does require two hands to open->place->plug in charging cord; its a set of moves that I dont find inconvenient or obtrusive to my daily routine.

The sticky suction pad adheres to smooth and not to smooth surfaces nicely.

Cons:
Its not possible to use it with one hand.

Its single manupulation point requires careful positioning to get the right angle. Another joint would make it perfect.

Final: At 20 bucks, it looks cool, works well and unless one of the parts fail itll be my default mount for a couple years.

socal

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
@whome...
Where did u get it for $20? Their website has it for $29

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

WhoMe

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Of course. Just ordered a used one(damaged packaging) for $10 so will see how that works out.

Great deal!

You should be fine, the packaging is a very minimal crunchy clear plastic box. My packaging was all crushed from being delivered in an envelope, but it didn't affect the mount at all.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I just received my IBOLT car mount today and was trying it out. Love it so far as it fits my phone with its two layer case and my Qmadix 1amp charger from verizon took a little time trying to connect to the back of the mount, but finally got it in. It's a great mount, but have a few questions.
1. Having trouble when S-Voice is enabled getting the navigation to start and when I speak directions in just the Google Navigation app itself, I get an error message and takes a long time for directions to start. So I disabled S-Voice and was able to Speak the directions fine with the Google voice in the app and navigation came on instantaneously. So I'm taking it there is a problem with using S-Voice on the IBolt Car dock, am I correct?
2. Do I have to download the Car Home Ultra App to do other things like play music, make a call, and stuff like that? Will it automaticly load when phone put into dock? I'm use to my Droid X dock where it would bring up the car mode homescreen. I can't do anything else but navigation while phone is in dock, without exiting navigation the way it is now.

Other than those two things, really love the dock. The one I ordered previously on Amazon, just didn't hold the phone well and wanted to keep a case on it, so this one is perfect. The phone charges in the dock fine, no issues with that.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
If you install Car Home Ultra the next time you plug in your iBolt it will give you a choice of whether to start Car Home or SVoice. I told it to always load Care Home and it works fine. I am also coming from a Droid X and miss the car home functionality. I'm sure you can do everything with SVoice but at 70mph I don't want to be talking to SVoice.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm probably one of the few people that like the S-Voice, though I admit it is way less accurate than Siri on the Iphone, which my sister has. I'm just going to disable the S-Voice when using the IBolt car dock, seems to lock on GPS and directions instantly with it disabled.
I downloaded the Car Home Ultra free version a little while ago. I like all the options on it. So will probably end up buying it for the $1.99. Just want to try it a few times first to make sure it works the way it should.
Yeah, surprised at how popular a phone the Galaxy S3 is and being on multiple carriers, how hard it is to find accessories for it. I already returned a Car charger and a car mount which didn't work with it. Kind of frustrating, but I think this IBolt car mount is the keeper. At least for me.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I paid for Car Home Ultra the first day I had it. One of the paid features is being able to set a button for specific locations. That was important to me and $1.99 doesn't require a lot of thinking... ;)

rls1400

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I purchased the Mountek nGroove CD slot mount, it's great. Fits perfectly in my 09 VW Jetta radio, and nicely positioned. Rock solid too, doesn't shake or rattle.

VicVinegar

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I finally bought a dock. I picked up the Arkon SM415 on Amazon. I'd post a link but cut and paste is still broken in Chrome. Need to look for a fix again

So far so good. It is very stable mounted to the windshield and offers quite a bit of adjustment to have it how you want it. It is designed to handle the Note as well do it should handle any case you throw at it. Clamped down, it keeps a good grip on the phone.

The charging port is accessible, so is the headphones jack and power and rocker buttons. Yeah it isn't as neat as the integrated options, but it works and was $15.

If I have one concern it is that the clamping mechanism may break after repeated use getting in and out of the car. We'll see.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I finally bought a dock. I picked up the Arkon SM415 on Amazon. I'd post a link but cut and paste is still broken in Chrome. Need to look for a fix again

So far so good. It is very stable mounted to the windshield and offers quite a bit of adjustment to have it how you want it. It is designed to handle the Note as well do it should handle any case you throw at it. Clamped down, it keeps a good grip on the phone.

The charging port is accessible, so is the headphones jack and power and rocker buttons. Yeah it isn't as neat as the integrated options, but it works and was $15.

If I have one concern it is that the clamping mechanism may break after repeated use getting in and out of the car. We'll see.

I've had an Arkon for over a year now, the mechanism feels the same as it did when I bought it.

May 7, 2010
Visit site
What is the correct usb charger for the Infuse dock? I have the dual usb griffin charger and it says (2) 1 amp outputs but my S3 is always discharging... Navigation or not!

Could the length of a cable effect this? I have a 15ft usb > microusb cable to reach left side of the steering wheel.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz