Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 197
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Car Mounts

    What car mount will you be using?

    Here is what I have ordered:

    Mountek nGroove MT5000 CD/DVD Slot Car Mount



    I will slap a NFC tag on it and have it turn on BT and setup the phone for "Driving Mode".
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    I bought the following when I had my old Garmin GPS:


    It is adjustable and rotates for landscape view. I use it every day when I hook up my AUX cable to receive calls, listen to podcasts and use the GPS on my wireless device.
  3. #3  
    Bullfrog1337's Avatar

    Posts
    131 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    I bought this one from the VZW store. With my discount I got it for $14.99. The vent mount is neat, plus you can have cold air blow on it as it heats up on those long trips while using GPS.

  4. #4  
    lsmunoz's Avatar

    Posts
    304 Posts
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Are there any options that have the plug built into the dock so that you do not have to plug in after putting it into the dock?
    Dumb phone -> BB8830WE -> BB Curve 8330 -> Incredible -> DROID X ----->Galaxy S3
    Kyle L likes this.
  5. #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog1337 View Post
    I bought this one from the VZW store. With my discount I got it for $14.99. The vent mount is neat, plus you can have cold air blow on it as it heats up on those long trips while using GPS.

    Conversely, never use these because I dont want heat blowing on it during the winter.

    Sent from my ADR6350 using Android Central Forums
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    We've been spoiled by the nice moto car docks!
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Kilo, where did you get that CD mount?

    I've always been wary of the vent models, as I had my doubts about taking it off or it breaking my vent. My car is old, but it currently doesn't look like a POS inside. I've actually been looking to get a universal mount for my XM radio as well. Without using the vent mount, I just have it sitting between my transmission and e-brake. Tough to look down at it while driving. I'd like one for the GS3 too for navi. Maybe a universal using the CD for the XM and a windshield for the phone when I need navigation.

    My only worry about the CD slot mount is the potential to bust the CD player. Not quite sure exactly how they are designed. I don't use my CD player (everything is on USB), but I also don't want it busted.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by delldude405 View Post
    We've been spoiled by the nice moto car docks!
    Absolutely! I already know that I will most likely miss my Droid X car dock unless I can find something comparable to it.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by VicVinegar View Post
    Kilo, where did you get that CD mount?
    You can get one at mountek.com, but you have to buy 2 to get free shipping.

    OR

    You can buy one from mountek on and get free shipping on one. Thats what I did. Its the same company.
  10. #10  
    zagfan's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    I ordered the samsung infuse 4g vehicle mount from all4cellular.com. Video on xda showed that it works perfectly on the S3.

  11. #11  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bullfrog1337 View Post
    I bought this one from the VZW store. With my discount I got it for $14.99. The vent mount is neat, plus you can have cold air blow on it as it heats up on those long trips while using GPS.

    Hah, took a lot of trips with a Froyo phone huh? I thought for sure my phone was toast the time I drove from Ohio to North Carolina and after about 5 hours of having nav on, the phone was literally too hot to pick up without just grabbing the edges. Gingerbread seems to be a ton better about that (or maybe its just newer versions of nav) but any time the screen is on, its charging the batt, and its probably in direct sunlight theres going to be a lot of heat.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    Absolutely! I already know that I will most likely miss my Droid X car dock unless I can find something comparable to it.

    No kidding! I've use the one for Droid X and Droid Bionic and they work great. I don't see anything close in quality to those so far for the S3.

    I use my car dock daily and need to find a good one for the S3.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    I think I'm going to go balls out and get a made-for-my-car mount from or

    More expensive, but I like the idea of it being custom made to fit my car model, rather than a windshield or air vent mount. The one from Proclip will cost me $30 for the mount + another $35 for the clip, while the one from Koda will cost quite a bit more.
    Thanked by 2:
    jamisont likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    I think I'm going to go balls out and get a made-for-my-car mount from or

    More expensive, but I like the idea of it being custom made to fit my car model, rather than a windshield or air vent mount. The one from Proclip will cost me $30 for the mount + another $35 for the clip, while the one from Koda will cost quite a bit more.
    I used Proclip with my Touch Pro 2 years ago and while the custom part for the car worked great, the mount for the phone didn't work as good as say the Motorola docks for their phones.
  15. #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ColdBrew View Post
    I used Proclip with my Touch Pro 2 years ago and while the custom part for the car worked great, the mount for the phone didn't work as good as say the Motorola docks for their phones.
    Good to know. I've been trying to figure it if the custom part is universal or if I have to use their mount. Do you know?
  16. #16  
    CVisk's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by lsmunoz View Post
    Are there any options that have the plug built into the dock so that you do not have to plug in after putting it into the dock?
    I agree. This will be a must. This is how my Droid X car dock, and the desk dock work. Surely as high end of a phone and mass produced this is there will surely be something like it.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
    Good to know. I've been trying to figure it if the custom part is universal or if I have to use their mount. Do you know?
    If I understand what you are asking. You have to use their docks with their mounts. The one I used had a plastic plate on the custom car piece that the phone dock slid on to.

    The problem was that the usb plug didn't line up properly and required two hands to insert the phone.

    It looks like the one for the S3 doesn't even have a usb plug on the dock. So it would be a two step process of inserting the phone and then plugin in the cables.

    I want something I can insert with one hand that this is it.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan View Post
    I ordered the samsung infuse 4g vehicle mount from all4cellular.com. Video on xda showed that it works perfectly on the S3.

    I just ordered this one as well. I figure if it doesn't work I'm only out $17.
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    I just ordered this one as well. I figure if it doesn't work I'm only out $17.
    x3 -- i even scoured the interwebz for a %5 off discount code (for a whopping 75 cents off!). $16.20 total, shipped.

    Sounds like he had to dremmel out some of the back of the mount for the speaker placement on the phone per his video:

    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9wBmmKhp9Y[/YT]

    Here's an HD review for the mount itself (using an Infuse):

    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC33ycdrkF4[/YT]
    Last edited by Bad_SNaCKY; 06-27-2012 at 10:50 AM.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad_SNaCKY View Post
    x3 -- i even scoured the interwebz for a %5 off discount code (for a whopping 75 cents off!). $16.20 total, shipped.

    Sounds like he had to dremmel out some of the back of the mount for the speaker placement on the phone per his video:



    Here's an HD review for the mount itself (using an Infuse):

    I was concerned about drilling out the holes since I can't use Audio Out in my car but then I got thinking it's just plastic anyway so how hard could it be?
  21. #21  
    WhoMe's Avatar

    Posts
    297 Posts
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM 4.0

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Thanks for the video and link to the Infuse mount. I think Im going to try that.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by ansextra View Post
    I was concerned about drilling out the holes since I can't use Audio Out in my car but then I got thinking it's just plastic anyway so how hard could it be?
    A dremmel will give you a quick and smooth cut (as long as you have steady hands). Should be failr simple.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad_SNaCKY View Post
    A dremmel will give you a quick and smooth cut (as long as you have steady hands). Should be failr simple.
    I have a small battery operated drill that should work. I'm not known for being an expert with it though...
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan View Post
    I ordered the samsung infuse 4g vehicle mount from all4cellular.com. Video on xda showed that it works perfectly on the S3.

    That looks perfect! Actually, better that perfect because of the great price!
    Last edited by ColdBrew; 06-27-2012 at 12:29 PM. Reason: asked a question that had already been answered.
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Car Mounts

    I'm assuming the desktop dock would work as well?
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

B